Would going to Gallaudet be a good experience for me?

DaniR

Reaction score
Im only 16 and i have gone to a public school my whole life and i havent met a lot of deaf people, just a couple but i want to go out and meet bunches of deaf people and i've been wanting to go to Galluadet for a while now even if i go to Galluadet for a year or less and my interpreter says it'll be a good experience for me, what do u think?

Hi Dani!
Definitly go to Gally...I think it would be an awesome experiance especially for a mainstreamed kid like you! I've almost always been mainstreamed, except in preschool (and even then that was a self-contained general special needs preschool) and I would have totally gone to Gally in a flash if they'd had my major and minor (print journalism with a minor in Women's studies) I wish I had known other deaf kids and been exposed to others like me as a kid. Try it out, and if you don't like it you can ALWAYS transfer to another school!

sure, it wont hurt to earn an experience, no matter what good and or bad. youre gonna learn both ways. i went to csun for a year, it felt like ive been through alot of things for myself. good luck! ;)

It would be a better idea to explore your options than just focusing on one school. There's RIT/NTID and CSUN too. If you still want to be around hearing people, the I recommend RIT/NTID because it's actually a huge university with eight different colleges on campus. NTID is one of those colleges.

DaniR said:
Im only 16 and i have gone to a public school my whole life and i havent met a lot of deaf people, just a couple but i want to go out and meet bunches of deaf people and i've been wanting to go to Galluadet for a while now even if i go to Galluadet for a year or less and my interpreter says it'll be a good experience for me, what do u think?

You want to go out and meet a bunch of deaf people?

But what about your education since it should be your top priority?

Gallaudet University is a good party school! But their education, isnt what i expected. It needs a lot of improvement cause the student needs to be really challenged! The kids out there got really easy life, party n party n party , wonder how they do in school! i would recommened if u went to RIT :o) u'll fit well out there

Banjo said:
You want to go out and meet a bunch of deaf people?

But what about your education since it should be your top priority?

No that's not what i exactly meant, i meant meeting deaf people and getting to know the deaf culture and get my education while im there and i just was wondering if it'll be a good experience since im mainstreamed

sararose said:
Gallaudet University is a good party school! But their education, isnt what i expected. It needs a lot of improvement cause the student needs to be really challenged! The kids out there got really easy life, party n party n party , wonder how they do in school! i would recommened if u went to RIT :o) u'll fit well out there

hey hey that's one more reason to go Gallaudet! lol no, im just kidding, what's RIT like? I havent heard much about it

if u want to have a wonderful
"deaf social", then go to Gallaudet...
BUT, if u want to get a real good job
in the future, then go to RIT/NTID...
You will learn deaf culture from both places.

I hear gally is a good school but I hear that RIT is a MUCH better school...so go figures.

RIT IS a much better school comparing RIT and Gally -- i went to RIT instead of Gally even tho i grew up in the DC area and was MUCH closer to Gally but i chose to go NORTH :lol:

dude stay in school pick whatever you like colleges that's the best option to have opportunity to learn and new experience of your life that's something worth it!

Yes, I do think it would be a good experience for you since you are currently in mainstream correct? Then Yes, it would be good for you to social with some deaf and be able to attend college with the deaf.

DaniR said:
hey hey that's one more reason to go Gallaudet! lol no, im just kidding, what's RIT like? I havent heard much about it

RIT is a great school, a lot of student are more focus, a lot serious in school and they will help you find job when u graduate. My sister's a student at RIT, she loves it so much out there. I used to go to gally myself, the reason why i went there is because i thought education was as great as i expected. But when i got there, things seem so easy like high school, no challenge in education! Party's awesome up there, but it's easy to drown urself in that kind of life! so i highly recommend you to go to RIT cause you can be serious in school and party on weekends! Gally will not help you find job after you graduate. if u want more information just reply back :)

sararose said:
RIT is a great school, a lot of student are more focus, a lot serious in school and they will help you find job when u graduate. My sister's a student at RIT, she loves it so much out there. I used to go to gally myself, the reason why i went there is because i thought education was as great as i expected. But when i got there, things seem so easy like high school, no challenge in education! Party's awesome up there, but it's easy to drown urself in that kind of life! so i highly recommend you to go to RIT cause you can be serious in school and party on weekends! Gally will not help you find job after you graduate. if u want more information just reply back :)

hmm that sounds good...i'll have to check RIT out soon or later on to see for myself, my high school's pretty tough, i think, all that studying and final exams but in the end it's worth it when u find out u got a good grade!

Dani ...

It is advisable to figure out what you want to major in then look at programs that meet your academic goals.

I opted for CSUN because they had my major, unlike at RIT or Gally. I have no regrets and even then, it was a major cultural shock for this gal who grew up with no deaf classmates.

Too many people pick colleges based on people or party ratings but in the end, getting a diploma to work in a field that you really want to is the most important .

DaniR said:
hmm that sounds good...i'll have to check RIT out soon or later on to see for myself, my high school's pretty tough, i think, all that studying and final exams but in the end it's worth it when u find out u got a good grade!

i suggest you to go to gally and RIT to compare where you think u'll fit in well. RIT has variety people, deaf family, hearing family, deaf kids grew up in mainstream, deaf kids grew up in deaf school.. while at gally, most percent are deaf family and deaf school :) so, hope this is helpful

DaniR said:

First, Gally is a strong deaf culture- it depends on how you will fit in, you will experience a cultural shock :) It is protected from the hearing world and you will miss some of what the hearing world has to offer. It depends on what you want to major in, if you want to major in liberal arts, try to visit Gally.

Yet, RIT/NTID does offer the best of two worlds, if you dont like one, you can go to another. There are many different levels of deaf culture here in RIT/nTID, I see it as a plus over Gally alone.

Colleges tend to offer some type of summer program for high school students, here at RIT/NTID its called EYF, "explore your future" at NTID- its a neat program and most state rehabilitation does pay for this short one week program. You can apply to the program anytime. I dont know what Gally has to offer since I avoided it at all costs while I was back in high school. Sue me for my bias ;)

Granted, youre only 16, and yet it seems far away but its gonna be too fast once you graduate from high school. I strongly sugguest you to visit colleges physically, and take advantage of the exploration programs such as NTID's EYF

-cheers

I always thought there was only Gally, which I knew I would never go to. I then found out about NTID/RIT and I would choose that over Gally because of diversity hearing and deaf. When you're out of the world you'll be back to meeting hearing people, so that's why there should be a combination of what's real. I never heard about CSUN, so I might check that out.

sararose said:
i suggest you to go to gally and RIT to compare where you think u'll fit in well. RIT has variety people, deaf family, hearing family, deaf kids grew up in mainstream, deaf kids grew up in deaf school.. while at gally, most percent are deaf family and deaf school :) so, hope this is helpful

Yes it's very helpful, i have a brother and a sister who's like me but other than that, we got a big hearing family and we're all oral

Back