Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Grr... it really aggravates me when Im online and I find a friend that I know is ABLE to work just lazing about and collecting SSI/SSDI - I know there are some deafies that are not able to work because of other health reasons, or in college and I have no problem with those...but its the OTHER kind that really po'd me off.

Sometimes I just wanna scream at them to get off their lazy butts and find a job, even if it's just picking up doggy doo-doo... it's a JOB.

Period. :madfawk:

i know how you feelin .. i notice some deaf ppl which dont have any health plms like you or me ... they loves to collecting their check and spend on theirselves in whole the month and sitting around at home for nothing .. they are doing wrong ... so i guess i called it IT THEIR LOW-LIFE .. .i hate using SSI/SSDI but too bad for me til i get back on my feet on floor one day after surgery done as well first.. i love to get my arse off to any jobs ... :)

TOF

:gpost: MizzDeaf

I have a job for almost 2 years and college student full time this Fall which I am very looking forward to. Majoring in Medical Field. :) :thumb:

SSI does SUCKS! Deaf people need keep bug job to show that they are motivated that they want the job, Otherwise not-- they are lazy ass. ::shrugs::

Blame it on employers putting the requirements in the ad saying "" MUST NEED A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA"" Back in the 50s and beyond you didnt need a high school diploma to get a good job.Government needs to pass a new law added on discrimination list. If employer disqulifies you because you didnt have an high school diploma you can sue him for background discrimination.Then you wouldnt need SSI or SSDI.

ravensteve1961 said:
Blame it on employers putting the requirements in the ad saying "" MUST NEED A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA"" Back in the 50s and beyond you didnt need a high school diploma to get a good job.Government needs to pass a new law added on discrimination list. If employer disqulifies you because you didnt have an high school diploma you can sue him for background discrimination.Then you wouldnt need SSI or SSDI.

Raven - many of the peeps Im speaking of have high school diplomas and some even have college education - they just don't even try.

ravensteve1961 said:
Blame it on employers putting the requirements in the ad saying "" MUST NEED A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA"".

I disagree with you because, I started my first job when I was 14 yrs old and did not graduated from high school yet, I was still in high school when I had my first job.

With Social Security, I cannot say anything bad about people who are on it, because honestly we don't know what type of situation they are in, example the cost of living, medical problems, etc. Before we can judge people based on how they receive help from the government we have to walk in their shoes to understand the reason why they are on social security.

Just my two cents ;)

ravensteve1961 said:

Right Cheri--- I AGREE with you-- and I disggree with RS :nono: -- I even started working when I was 13 i was only freshman in high school and even not graduate yet that time. So, nothing about that RS

ravensteve1961 said:
Blame it on employers putting the requirements in the ad saying "" MUST NEED A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA "" Back in the 50s and beyond you didnt need a high school diploma to get a good job.Government needs to pass a new law added on discrimination list. If employer disqulifies you because you didnt have an high school diploma you can sue him for background discrimination.Then you wouldnt need SSI or SSDI.

i am sorry but i am going to put you down this time.. but you DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING :D :nana: :nana: :nana:

cuz >>> i worked before i graduated h.s. ... i didn't have my h.s. diploma sheesh... so pls stop running your mouth off cuz you don't sound too intelligent sheesh :roll: and you are boring me with your nonsense :zzz: i want to LEARN SOMETHING NEW!!! COME ON --- GET WITH IT!!! :whip:

and last of all, i never had ssi or ssdi until i went to college! SO THERE!!! :nana: again--- you DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING! SO STOP TALKING NONSENSE AND PUTTING OTHERS DOWN when you don't know their situations--- sheesh... :roll:

SURPRISE!
:nana: :nana: :nana:
I am dead deaf, meaning I can NOT talk normal like hearies. I am just deaf and PLAIN DUMB! Proud of it? You BETCHA!

I really don't have High School diploma. I flunked Hi School BIG time.

Guess what?

I have good job in medical manufacturing!

So your comment is MEANINGLESS to us!

:nana: :nana: :nana:

Here is HARD truth. Once you sue somebody, NO ONE will be around you! EVERYBODY will be scare of you for rest of your life. And you think you can sue, then run and hide? Sure you can run, BUT you can NOT hide! It will always be in your public record. So, go ahead and sue anyone you want.

Finally, blameRS is for loseRS!

ravensteve1961 said:

Hey RS, can do us all favor?

Just for today, forget about politics, forget about employers, forget about all of these blaming games.

Start to listen to others and learn from them. There is so much to learn from listening than blabbling all the time.

The more you listen, the more you WILL realize that alot of your thinking is just hogwash, and wasting your valuable time.

Believe it or not, you ONLY have about 10,200 days left to live. That is all you have left, would you want to waste these small number of days on blaming and blabbing? Or start listen and learn and you could retire richly.

So, choice is yours!

RS stop running your mouth about H.S dipolma. There is a forum somewhere about H.S. Dipoma and I have mention about my brother and my mom's best friend dropped out of h.s. They are doing great as the matter of fact :P

I am on ssdi and yea it sucks but I had no choice cuz I was at home mom and cant afford to have day care for my son. Beside I dont trust daycare as too many problem with abuse or neglected. So I am on SSDI and work part time. I dont mind to go work and earn some money. When my son get a bit older and maybe just maybe I will look for a full time job with good benefits as long as my son is stay out of trouble.

Right now my job is only during the school year and I dont mind cuz I am home for my son's sakes. Yea I am deaf but I was hired no matter what. I love my job.

I know lot of deafies rather stay home and bum out using the SSDI to get drugs and alcohol. That is nonsense and abuse the government money for that. Geez

diehardbiker65 said:
Hey RS, can do us all favor?

Start to listen to others and learn from them. There is so much to learn from listening than blabbling all the time.

The more you listen, the more you WILL realize that alot of your thinking is just hogwash, and wasting your valuable time.

he will FINALLY listen ONLY if hell freezes over! :laugh2:

With a job with $10 a hour you can earn up to $400 a week or $800 every two weeks. SSI or SSDI only gives you one check ONCE a month!!!! so it sucks! Except for medicaid if you have a lousy health insurance.

I feel the same way with some of my friends. I would rather work over SSI/SSDI. I'm in a good shape for now, I have SSDI while I work part time because not enough money with just SSDI. :)

Mod Note:

Please let's stick back to the topic for which this thread is concerned with--

If something can't be said in a good way about another member, don't post it!

Thank you!!

~RR

This kind of hostility from the deaf community who are like you guys always made me feel ashamed to be on SSI because most of you are outraged that a person doesn't work while pursuing their education... which caterogy I fall in.
I want to emphasize Cheri's point-- everybody's situation is different.

I am getting my BA degree which I expect to find a job (or a career) soon.

Education is a top priority for me than having a crappy career/job. I don't want to get stuck in a job that I dislike but have to stay because there is nowhere to go.
My deaf friend got off the SSI and had to work THREE JOBS stimulateously which forced her to drop out of her college. After a strong persusion by her HEARING mother who wanted her daughter to get an EDUCATION first to get a better life, my friend returned to her college as a full-time student and is nearly done with the BA... and she was on SSI the whole time along with working under the table (as a HOUSECLEANER... I teamed up with her sometime to rake in clients).

I didn't get on SSI with a big smile on my face and go "yay!" like many deaf people I know whom ABUSED the SSI; I refused to announce it to the world. I sheltered my "secret." It was only months later before people found out that I am on SSI and they flocked to me to ask how much I got. I got on it while I was in college so I made myself an pact-- that once I am out of college, I WILL GET OFF the ssi because my goal of having a degree has been satifised thus I can move on. I have so-called friend who complained about SSI not giving them enough money and I felt angered because they should be GRATEFUL that they do have some kind of funds! I always empahsized to them: "You shouldn't be complained about this-- you are getting FREE money from the taxpayers... don't complain. You got more than I and I never go broke yet you always go broke? YOU need to budget better. it is YOU that is the problem, not the government that doesn't give you enough money."

flyfishfemme said:
With a job with $10 a hour you can earn up to $400 a week or $800 every two weeks. SSI or SSDI only gives you one check ONCE a month!!!! so it sucks! Except for medicaid if you have a lousy health insurance.
My husband is fighting to get on SSDI to get HEALTH INSURANCE. His father, who was the "breadwinner" of the household, died last year and the whole family's insurance went down with Dad since they got the insrance from his work... so he had to drop low to apply for SSDI.
He was denied because he earned ENOUGH money-- 10K a year. Tell me-- is that BELOW the poverty line?????????
He works as a college teacher but he got a lousy health plan (hospital is on campus with pre-med students probing him around) and no dental plan. Why? He doesn't work long enough to earn the insurance so he got the cheap package. Now he cannot afford his hearing aids! He has to take a good care of the aids or he is doomed.

The whole system is just LOUSY.

gnarlydorkette said:
This kind of hostility from the deaf community who are like you guys always made me feel ashamed to be on SSI because most of you are outraged that a person doesn't work while pursuing their education... which caterogy I fall in.
I want to emphasize Cheri's point-- everybody's situation is different.
I can't disagree with that.

gnarlydorkette said:
I am getting my BA degree which I expect to find a job (or a career) soon.
I sure hope so becuz you deserve it!!!

gnarlydorkette said:
The whole system is just LOUSY.
Yep I agreed that's why I refuse to touch it again becuz it's too complicating.

flyfishfemme said:

:werd:

Besides the benefits of working is that we often get to meet interesting people and build your resume toward better jobs. I havent been on SSI since 1996 when I joined my employer at the warehouse.

I know the feeling about SSI after all I had been on it for a while. The bureaucracy oftentimes screw up and I ended up paying an overpayment even though I told them I quit SSI after I joined my current employer 9 years ago (I notified them a week after I was hired) I only used SSI as an emergency to cover my ass while I was looking for a bettter job.

Back