Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Good for u!

Why not! We have the hearing disablity. Why wouldn't anyone understand? We really do have to try more then 100%. Everything that has to do hearing with the world we live in. Hearing devices alone are so expensive. It does not matter how successful you are it's still really hard. I have cochlear implant and it's hard anyway no matter what you do. As a deaf mother Ill tell ya it's harder when your hearing child speaks really well, knows how to pronounced huge words are are mile longthat we can not pronounce without being corrected - my 4 year son corrects since he began talking at 2!!
So I am on your side..

I dont love social security as I see it as a trap that you cannot get yourself out of as I'm seeing friends all over seeing this as a free money for their weed while I'm working my arse off

Never liked SSI/SSDI but at the same time it does provide for those who really need it as my clients all have different type of additional mental challenges in addition to being deaf, they truly put the money to good use so I feel justified somewhat knowing some of my tax money is going into good use.

Also it does suck that the VR requires their clients to be on SSI/SSDI in order to be supported for college as I'm not sure if this is just my old VR or what?

Hate being on SSI and welfare too. I'm still gaining to get a B.S. degree so I can get out of those stuffs and work my tail off. I get tired of welfare mainly because of yearly meeting. SSI is every 3 years I think. But still I get pretty tired of those stuffs. <sigh> Some of us didn't have any choice but to stay on those thingies until they get a job. But if it wasn't for those SSI, we may be homeless people by now. I cringe at it. So I'm working with the VR counselor and college counselor as well.

One told me she got on SSI after working for 12 years (laid off due to company's lease problem, many of them are laid off or soon to be laid off) and she's pissed off. She can't wait to get back to work as soon as she completes her AA degree. <sigh> Not easy.

LadyDuke said:
For these of you who have a hard time finding a job or are on SSI/SSDI.....

Get a job at any fast-food restaurant, restaurant, supermarket, or retail store. They will be more than happy to hire you!
yea right like we want low paying jobs... I rather keep my ssi then working for $5.50 a hour..... I used to live in Indaina and I made $8.50 by working at the public library..... Yup thats RIGHT~ So I know better than that and I will contuine searching for a better job.... Im not in a hurry and I got my whole life to be working and NO don't be calling us low life people since some of us is on SSI or SSDI... There are reason's why people are on it... It doesn't mean that we sit on our asses watching tv all day long... NO thats not true... At least not me... but for all of you don't be bashing others if they decide to be on ssi or ssdi.....

FYI Especially people who are seriously considering getting CI. Those who think getting CI would improve their chance of getting job and to get off from SSI/SSDI. I advise thinking twice before getting CI. Find out what are your chance of success with CI. If you still can't talk and function like hearing people after flipping the CI on, then your into deeper trouble! I found out that once SSA find out you got CI, your benefits will automatically cut off regardless *IF* you can't function normal like hearing people! So think twice about CI if your still on SSA system. I talked with attorney who specialize in SSA that deals with deaf clients. I was like dropped my jaw and think it is NOT right.

Also, let you all know I realize that sometimes it is not easy for deafies to find job and SSA is the only safety net. The census bureau just release a startling result of people with disability and employment. 47% of disabilities are unemployed! (WTF? while hearies now average 5%). What's more 53% of disabilities have job and the median income for them is at least 50% below the median income of non-disabled person. This is real evidence of discrimination going on.

I believe the damages were greater than thought for people who deal with being discrimination. It is easier to stay with SSA than to deal the extreme frustration from being discrimination.

I am not saying that disabled people should stay in SSA for mental health sake. I think society needed to be educated and that they should know they are wasting their money discriminating on disabled people... HOW? By refusing offering them job and pay more taxes to cover the living expenses for disabled people. What a huge waste! Cut off SSA won't solve problem. Education is the key to solution.

Diehardbiker,

I completely disagree with you 100 percent about once getting CI, you are off from SSA, SSI and SSD for life. No, no, no, no!!!! :nono:

CI only helps you to clarify in hearing loss does not mean to make you a hearing person. I got them three times and guess what I am still on government benefits even health benefits. Got two Advanced Bionics Hi Resolution and 90k. They both failed on me. This time I got nucleus freedom, it is working well so far.

I am almost done with achieving my degree. My internship experience was great and am ready to start my real career and life as soon as I graduate. The CI did not help me through this college to achieve my degree. It was all me, my work, my commitment in school work and myself staying on the right path.

I would check with your attourney again. What you said about the CI and government benefits are not true. The unemployment rates are true because they are lazy that is the problem. I have met all of them and they do not want to proceed to achieve their goals. Might be parents fault for not pushing them through school and commitments in life? They rather stay home 24 hours a day and party on drugs. :shock: That is what is like where I live in. It was sad for them as I am moving up and out of here.

I myself am 100 percent deaf. With the CI, it helps with the communication better. My depression will be in my life forever no matter what. This is all me that I have to control my depression, goals, and my life.

I hope this clears up?
:angel:

rjr2006 said:
I don't work or have SSI/SSDI but I am on Medicaid/re

RJR, you may apply for it. Your application will be approved because of your excellent qualification.

Are you going to ask your parents for big allowances again?

Mre4339 said:
Diehardbiker,

I completely disagree with you 100 percent about once getting CI, you are off from SSA, SSI and SSD for life. No, no, no, no!!!! :nono:

CI only helps you to clarify in hearing loss does not mean to make you a hearing person. I got them three times and guess what I am still on government benefits even health benefits. Got two Advanced Bionics Hi Resolution and 90k. They both failed on me. This time I got nucleus freedom, it is working well so far.

I am almost done with achieving my degree. My internship experience was great and am ready to start my real career and life as soon as I graduate. The CI did not help me through this college to achieve my degree. It was all me, my work, my commitment in school work and myself staying on the right path.

I would check with your attourney again. What you said about the CI and government benefits are not true. The unemployment rates are true because they are lazy that is the problem. I have met all of them and they do not want to proceed to achieve their goals. Might be parents fault for not pushing them through school and commitments in life? They rather stay home 24 hours a day and party on drugs. :shock: That is what is like where I live in. It was sad for them as I am moving up and out of here.

I myself am 100 percent deaf. With the CI, it helps with the communication better. My depression will be in my life forever no matter what. This is all me that I have to control my depression, goals, and my life.

I hope this clears up?

Are you going to enter into the SSA office without showing your CI devices for applying for SSI/SSDI form?

diehardbiker65 said:
FYI Especially people who are seriously considering getting CI. Those who think getting CI would improve their chance of getting job and to get off from SSI/SSDI. I advise thinking twice before getting CI. Find out what are your chance of success with CI. If you still can't talk and function like hearing people after flipping the CI on, then your into deeper trouble! I found out that once SSA find out you got CI, your benefits will automatically cut off regardless *IF* you can't function normal like hearing people! So think twice about CI if your still on SSA system. I talked with attorney who specialize in SSA that deals with deaf clients. I was like dropped my jaw and think it is NOT right.

Also, let you all know I realize that sometimes it is not easy for deafies to find job and SSA is the only safety net. The census bureau just release a startling result of people with disability and employment. 47% of disabilities are unemployed! (WTF? while hearies now average 5%). What's more 53% of disabilities have job and the median income for them is at least 50% below the median income of non-disabled person. This is real evidence of discrimination going on.

I believe the damages were greater than thought for people who deal with being discrimination. It is easier to stay with SSA than to deal the extreme frustration from being discrimination.

I am not saying that disabled people should stay in SSA for mental health sake. I think society needed to be educated and that they should know they are wasting their money discriminating on disabled people... HOW? By refusing offering them job and pay more taxes to cover the living expenses for disabled people. What a huge waste! Cut off SSA won't solve problem. Education is the key to solution.

258!

People still wears their prescribed glasses for their weak views so that would improve their almost-perfect sights like 20/20.

DHB, you are precise for making an excellent sense.

I wonder how many CI people who do not feel like to work are gonna to be peddlers with Meyer cards?

Mookie,
I was wearing my CI when I went in with my boyfriend to talk to his agent at the government benefits' office because we just moved in together.
We had to set things straight about common law. We are not married and will not be for a while. The agent was asking me questions, he has all the information about me out in front of him at that moment.
My answers were answered through my own voice. The agent of government benefits do not see anything wrong with it.
I am 100 percent deaf, it was proven fact from my audiologist and doctor. Nothing in my benefits have change since I got my CI.

Mookie said:
RJR, you may apply for it. Your application will be approved because of your excellent qualification.

Are you going to ask your parents for big allowances again?

I applied for SSDI a long time Ago and they denied me. I only have a very little cash from tooth fairy, birthdays, and finally leftover lunch money when I was finished with high school.

rjr2006 said:
I applied for SSDI a long time Ago and they denied me. I only have a very little cash from tooth fairy, birthdays, and finally leftover lunch money when I was finished with high school.

You need to apply again. Show a leasing contract that you have to pay housing rent to your parents. It should work perfectly... :whistle:

Mre4339 said:
Mookie,
I was wearing my CI when I went in with my boyfriend to talk to his agent at the government benefits' office because we just moved in together.
We had to set things straight about common law. We are not married and will not be for a while. The agent was asking me questions, he has all the information about me out in front of him at that moment.
My answers were answered through my own voice. The agent of government benefits do not see anything wrong with it.
I am 100 percent deaf, it was proven fact from my audiologist and doctor. Nothing in my benefits have change since I got my CI.

Yeah, I am sure that agent has not learnt updated regulations yet. So you are in the lucky boat...

Mookie,
Medicaid and medicare are in government benefits. I am sure they review all of my medical records including CI's surgeries.

I prefer working and get more experiences. SSI/SSD ain't enough for my life and it won't work for the future. Deaf people can find a job out there.

You don't get it. It was NOT my decision. What is interesting is that SSA rules requires test with "Aided" device. If you have your hearing improved significant, that is, if your hearing improves to 60 db loss or better then SSA considered you NOT disabled! IMHO I think it is nuts, and that SSA is way out of line. BUT, it wasn't my decision. It was their decision. Be warned local SSA won't help, because the SSA headquarters made the final decision not local, nor you. My friend who is attorney discovered by assisting one of his client, and lost the case with SSA all based on CI!!!

SSA won't let you know til maybe 2 years after you got CI and they will send you letter with surprise from headquarter. Just watch!

I really disagree with SSA rule big time because I knew CI won't help 100% anyway.

Mre4339 said:
Diehardbiker,

I hope this clears up?

My question is why would people who have CI want to be on Social Security? Isn't CI suppose to help you hear better than hearing aids? They're not going to be eligibility to recieved Social Security disability benefits. That's for certain because They will use the medical evidence from your doctors and hospitals, clinics or institutions where you have been treated and all other information. They would know about your CI. :whistle:

diehardbiker65 said:
I really disagree with SSA rule big time because I knew CI won't help 100% anyway.

I'm sorry to say I disagree with you there, I've heard most CIers have stated that they hear better with their malfunctioning CI than they heard with hearing aids. It's not a cure but different. So why would someone who has a CI wanna still be on SSA? That's stupid. :ugh2:

You can disagree with me. BUT my point is sometimes people who get CI might hear better BUT still can't understand words from sounds, or speak right... how could they survive? What I think is needed to be done is more advocate and get the client work toward to self sufficient rather than "Oh there you are with CI, bye bye! click!" It does take time for anyone to get adjusted to new environment.

Cheri said:
I'm sorry to say I disagree with you there, I've heard most CIers have stated that they hear better with their malfunctioning CI than they heard with hearing aids. It's not a cure but different. So why would someone who has a CI wanna still be on SSA? That's stupid. :ugh2:

Back