Will Gallaudet close?

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
March 4th is the day that the Federal Govt could close if Congress doesnt pass the budget. My husband will not be working as he is a Federal govt employee while the govt shuts down.

Now, it got me wondering about Gallaudet University since the jobs there are under the Federal Govt. If the govt shuts down, does that mean Gallaudet University will shut down as well?

Just curious if anyone knows?

March 4th is the day that the Federal Govt could close if Congress doesnt pass the budget. My husband will not be working as he is a Federal govt employee while the govt shuts down.

Now, it got me wondering about Gallaudet University since the jobs there are under the Federal Govt. If the govt shuts down, does that mean Gallaudet University will shut down as well?

The time the government closed when I was in DC I couldnt visit the monuments and memorials but I visited Gallaudet. All was well.

This is because they have already gotten funding for the school year and are able to continue for the year.

I found this looking up info earlier on gallaudet students and stuff in the other topic:

http://www.gallaudet.edu/documents/President/GU-2010March-RIF-FAQ.pdf

What factors have an impact on the amount of funds we have available this year?

Our funds come from many sources. The primary source is our Federal allocation. Last year (fiscal year 2009), our allocation was $118,000,000 for operations. (Construction funds are allocated separately and must be used only for construction-related costs of specific projects.)
For this year, we again received $118,000,000 for operations. The ‘level’ funding for two years in a row was significantly different from past history when, year after year, we received regular, healthy increases from Congress.
Our tuition, also a source of significant funds, was not increased this year and will not increase next year. By not raising tuition we are placing our students and their families first by thinking about the economy and the financial condition of our students and their families. In addition this decision can have a positive impact on enrollment, a top priority of the Gallaudet Strategic Plan. This decision however, also means we must operate with fewer funds.

What is the outlook for funds in future years?

For a decade Presidents of the United States have indicated that they wanted level funding for Gallaudet University, while year after year Congress has always provided us with an increase. However, that situation was significantly different this year. The President again proposed level funding, but this time Congress agreed with the President and we received level funding.

It does not seem likely. Budgets for schools are usually set in advance.

answer is no.

and this is same ole' same ole'. this shutdown happened before several years ago. happens all the time whenever we have 2 different parties at Congress & House level.

Well, there is one thing that has changed for Gallaudet. They have pretty much always gotten hefty increases yearly from the Feds but this year when the Obama administration suggested a "level budget" (meaning same or less than before), that is what they got. Is this the beginning of the end for the cash cow? Heh....

When are people going to start realizing outloud we are actually in economic Depression? The media is skirting around it but no one is outright saying it. Why?

Reagan said something of this nature: "When the guy next door loses his job, it's a recession. When you lose yours, it's depression."

wait, what?! March 4th? This Friday?! I'm also a federal gov't employee too and I didn't hear anything about this. Also, I am scheduled to have a teleconference meeting with a federal employee from Washington DC this Friday.

wait, what?! March 4th? This Friday?! I'm also a federal gov't employee too and I didn't hear anything about this. Also, I am scheduled to have a teleconference meeting with a federal employee from Washington DC this Friday.

I think it has been extended to 2 weeks. I will ask my hubby when he gets home. He is a federal govt employee.

I think it has been extended to 2 weeks. I will ask my hubby when he gets home. He is a federal govt employee.

it did get extended 2 more weeks.

Deadline's March 18th.

you'll be fine.

Gallaudet employees are not federal government employees, However, they are under the FERS/TSP system. I met oldtimers who cannot get social security benefits because they were undr CERS....

according to the budget at U.S. Government Printing Office Home Page, Gallaudet will get 118 million dollars. But there were no raise for employees for 3 years...COLA too. Gallaudet is top-heavy with $100,000+ administrators (100+)

Well, there is one thing that has changed for Gallaudet. They have pretty much always gotten hefty increases yearly from the Feds but this year when the Obama administration suggested a "level budget" (meaning same or less than before), that is what they got. Is this the beginning of the end for the cash cow? Heh....

Well if Fed Gov't shuts down, guess what all poultry stops as well!! Why? Because in slaughter houses the chickens to be processed are visually and physically inspected by USDA-FSIS (Food Safety Inspection Officers). If there is no USDA, the plant cannot run as this is a federal requirement. Hmmm, Tyson could be losing money too......

Well if Fed Gov't shuts down, guess what all poultry stops as well!! Why? Because in slaughter houses the chickens to be processed are visually and physically inspected by USDA-FSIS (Food Safety Inspection Officers). If there is no USDA, the plant cannot run as this is a federal requirement. Hmmm, Tyson could be losing money too......
The plant is inspected every day?

By USDA, yes. By OSHA, no.

The slaughter/processing has to be inspected by USDA to ensure safe-handling practices, sanitary conditions, and regular testing of product for salmonella, etc. Many times the company will also back this up with a HACCP program as well as a QA (Quality Assurance) program. The state of Arkansas also has a USDA Grader program which functions at the state level, they deal primarily with further processing and the finished product where USDA-FSIS is concerned with slaughter, pre-processing, and safe handling to prevent contamination.

The plant is inspected for unsanitary conditions and the product is inspected for diseases that could be communicable by eating/handling contaminated product.

I worked in a turkey processing plant in my hometown for two summers back in the early 60's and there was a USDA guy there every day.

By USDA, yes. By OSHA, no.

The slaughter/processing has to be inspected by USDA to ensure safe-handling practices, sanitary conditions, and regular testing of product for salmonella, etc. Many times the company will also back this up with a HACCP program as well as a QA (Quality Assurance) program. The state of Arkansas also has a USDA Grader program which functions at the state level, they deal primarily with further processing and the finished product where USDA-FSIS is concerned with slaughter, pre-processing, and safe handling to prevent contamination.

The plant is inspected for unsanitary conditions and the product is inspected for diseases that could be communicable by eating/handling contaminated product.
I knew what they did; I just didn't realize that they were on site every day. That's good to know. :)

Back