Will child mild mixed HL get worse?

BTW, I also met two ENT Drs. (one performed the surgery, the other one I met just for second opinion).

The ENT Dr who performed surgery (A) suggested hearing aid or FM system. I mentioned he has no problem at school (active, social and good reading), then he said its up to me or he can just wear it during classes.

The other ENT I met (for second opinion), firmly recommended hearing aid.

So for his hearing loss, do you think he need hearing air?

I am on the fencing to put hearing aid on him. I am afraid that it will make him different than his classmates or friends. In fact, I have never seen a child with HA in his school. I also worried that he would get bullied at school.

I am also afraid that wearing a HA will further damage his hearing.

Why are you so worried about his hearing? It's not a death sentence.

I really don't know. I think one reason could be that I feel I am on my own. We are the fist gen immigrants in Canada. We have no relatives in Canada. So sometimes we feel lonely. We do have a few close friends, but friends are friends, they are not family members.

BTW, I also met two ENT Drs. (one performed the surgery, the other one I met just for second opinion).

The ENT Dr who performed surgery (A) suggested hearing aid or FM system. I mentioned he has no problem at school (active, social and good reading), then he said its up to me or he can just wear it during classes.

The other ENT I met (for second opinion), firmly recommended hearing aid.

So for his hearing loss, do you think he need hearing air?

I am on the fencing to put hearing aid on him. I am afraid that it will make him different than his classmates or friends. In fact, I have never seen a child with HA in his school. I also worried that he would get bullied at school.

I am also afraid that wearing a HA will further damage his hearing.

I can't say about whether he should have an hearing aid, but I will say, would you rather he look "normal" and not be able to hear and therefore maybe miss important information or would you rather he be able to hear.

And just because you've never seen a child at his school wearing hearing aids doesn't mean there aren't any. Most people don't even notice hearing aids, though I suspect kids are more like to notice.

And hearing aids and ear molds come in all kinds of cool colors these days, right Bott?

Please try not to let you son know how you feel about all this as it can affect how he deals with it. You want him to be happy, don't you.

And hearing aids and ear molds come in all kinds of cool colors these days, right Bott?

Extremely. And anyone who notices, usually can't believe how cool the hearing aid looks.

Besides cool colors, and cool covers, there are cute things that go on tubes. One I have is a really cool Hello Kitty.

And they have really neat ones in boy style too.

My daughter had many ear infections growing up. One time she had porforated both ear drums and one did not heal on it's own. Eventually she had the ear drum replaced. She has mild-moderate hearing loss and she did not need/get hearing aids until earlier this year when she was 20. She is a junior in college studying nursing and has been on the dean's list every semester. She was a straight A student (well, one B in her freshman year) in high school.

If it's just the ear infections that are causing the hearing loss, I don't think you need to worry. Then, again, as Bott said, you don't need to worry even if he has more loss. It's not a death sentence.

BTW, I am late deafened with severe to profound hearing loss and get along well with my hearing aids. And have no issues when I don't have them on (though those around me probably have issues with my not hearing them :lol: )

Thanks for sharing.

Please try not to let you son know how you feel about all this as it can affect how he deals with it. You want him to be happy, don't you.
Thanks, yes, my son doesn't notice anything right now. however he wondered why he has gone through many hearing tests, I told him the Dr wanted to know if the tubes were still working fine.

I can't say about whether he should have an hearing aid, but I will say, would you rather he look "normal" and not be able to hear and therefore maybe miss important information or would you rather he be able to hear.

And just because you've never seen a child at his school wearing hearing aids doesn't mean there aren't any. Most people don't even notice hearing aids, though I suspect kids are more like to notice.

Right. Will the lyrics hearing aid (complete invisible) work for 5 years old?

Right. Will the lyrics hearing aid (complete invisible) work for 5 years old?

Personally, I would not want to use the Lyrics in my ears. I seriously doubt they would allow a kid to use it.

Sorry to bother you again, what is your dB of HL now? and how many years it took to get to your current HL from when you were 8 years old?

Every person hearing lost is difference and it can get worst for a numbers of reasons . I was in a very bad auto accident and lost more hearing and I have gotten older too . Knowing about my hearing lost history is not going to be of any help to you regarding your child hearing lost . I feel you think what happen to me is going to happen to your child and that is not true . It's not that cut and dry , you should be only thinking about your child and getting the right help for so him/she can life full life. If you keep worrying about your child HL they're going to think there is something terribly wrong with their self and that is going to be a handicap not the hearing lost .

Personally, I would not want to use the Lyrics in my ears. I seriously doubt they would allow a kid to use it.

So you are worried that the aid could touch ear drum and damage the ear drum?

thanks

Every person hearing lost is difference and it can get worst for a numbers of reasons . I was in a very bad auto accident and lost more hearing and I have gotten older too . Knowing about my hearing lost history is not going to be of any help to you regarding your child hearing lost . I feel you think what happen to me is going to happen to your child and that is not true . It's not that cut and dry , you should be only thinking about your child and getting the right help for so him/she can life full life. If you keep worrying about your child HL they're going to think there is something terribly wrong with their self and that is going to be a handicap not the hearing lost .

Thanks for the reminder. I will try to hide my feelings, so far he hasn't noticed anything yet.

Thanks. Any other options? I want something as invisible as possible.

thanks

Sorry, can't help you, and I don't think any one here can either. We just don't understand your wanting to hide his hearing loss.He may not even have a loss after the fluid clears up with the tubes. Please calm down, I understand as a mother you don't want to see him bullied, but you are making it worse with your anxiety.

If he has to wear aids make it a big deal, he has something the other kids don't have, be cheerful and excited, make him a hero with special superman hearing, something along those lines. Talk to the teachers, if he has to wear aids, explain all to them how special he thinks the aids are and that will excite his class mates.

Hope you can calm down and think clearly soon, all the best to you and your son.

Sorry, can't help you, and I don't think any one here can either. We just don't understand your wanting to hide his hearing loss.He may not even have a loss after the fluid clears up with the tubes. Please calm down, I understand as a mother you don't want to see him bullied, but you are making it worse with your anxiety.

If he has to wear aids make it a big deal, he has something the other kids don't have, be cheerful and excited, make him a hero with special superman hearing, something along those lines. Talk to the teachers, if he has to wear aids, explain all to them how special he thinks the aids are and that will excite his class mates.

Hope you can calm down and think clearly soon, all the best to you and your son.

Thank you very much!

blueear.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

Blue Ear. A Marvel superhero who wears hearing aids.

To help put you are ease, keep in mind that for adults 20db is considered "normal hearing" range.

Where are you located in Canada ?

Instead of trying to find ways to hide your child's hearing loss, I'd urge you to instead focus on doing whatever you need to do to find peace with it. It's important that you don't make them feel like they need to hide, cover up or "fake it" because you've made them feel that being hard of hearing is "bad" or "defective" or something to be ashamed of (because it's NOT - I'm proud of who I am, I'm proud of all that I've done - and I absolutely believe that being Hoh/Deaf has made me a stronger, more compassionate, more understanding person :) )

Don't try to get the smallest Hearing Aids - get the best ones for what he needs, and get ones that he'll be able to grow into (that will be BTEs) - I LOVE my BTE, because it allows people to see that if I'm "ignoring them", it likely means that I just haven't heard them - in my life, I consider having a fun, visible HA a positive thing and certainly nothing to be ashamed of, or something I'd want to hide.

You *have* (present tense) a perfectly wonderful child - they happen to have a slight hearing loss, but they are still *perfect* (you just need to be able to learn to see it again).

It's very likely that this is just due to ear infections. I doubt that it will be permanent... I wouldn't worry all that much.
Even if he does have to have intervention, he might not have to wear aids....A lot of kids with mild losses don't wear aids.....

Back