Will child mild mixed HL get worse?

new

Reaction score
Hi, my 5 years boy had OEM last Nov, so we had the hearing tested, so fluid inside, but bone conductive wasn't good either:
Left unmasked BC:
250:0,
500:5,
1K:10,
2K:25,
3K:25,
4K:25,

The audiologist did not test right ear BC The audiologist told us that it's possible to have BC drop if there is a OEM.

We did another test in Jan 2014, here is the bone result:

BC all masked:

Right
500: 20
1K: 15
2K: 20
4K: 15

Left
500: 20
1K: 20
2K: 25
4K: 25

The tubes were put into his both ears in July. 6 weeks after the tubes were inserted, we did another test:

Right
500: 0
1k: 10
2K 20
4k: not tested

Left:
250: 15
1K: 10
2K: 15
4K: 20 (unmasked)

We questioned the ENT Dr why there still drops in BC, we were told not to worried, the test might be unreliable because the kid is still young.
3 weeks ago (mid Nov, which is 4.5 months after the tubes), we did two tests at different clinic:

Code:
Clinic 1, tested around 9:30AM
F         Bone Right    Bone Left  Air Right  Air Left
500      10               0             20         20
1K        15              15            30         35
2K        30              30            40         45
4K        20 (unmask) 20(unmask)25        30
Code:
Clinic 2, tested around 5:30PM
F         Bone Right    Bone Left  Air Right  Air Left
250:     0                0             15         10
500      20               10           20         20
1K        10              20            30         30
2K        25              25(unmask)40         40
4K        25              20            25         30
The ENT said it is a mixed HL.
My questions are:
1: why there are still gaps 4 months after tubes are in? Is it possible to have newly developed fluid in the middle ear? or it is 100% sure a permanent conductive HL?
2: Is it 100% sure he has SHL because his BC are not good?
3: Will any of above gaps or drops due to the ear tubes?
4: Will his hearing improves after tubes are gone?
5: This is important, if these HL are permanent, will it get worse? I know no one knows what will happen, but please speak of your experience so I have rough idea of what to expect.

I wasn't too worried before the tubes, but now I am very very worried, wake up every morning at 3 or 4, and cannot stop my tears... he is only 5, he has many many years to go.

BTW, no family history of HL, his sister has no HL at all. he had problem with s, th, (used to pronounce s as k), but s and th are ok now. He has no issue at school. His reading is top in his class (top 4 in 31).

Please please help me!

We questioned the ENT Dr why there still drops in BC, we were told not to worried, the test might be unreliable because the kid is still young.
3 weeks ago (mid Nov, which is 4.5 months after the tubes), we did two tests at different clinic:

BTW, no family history of HL, his sister has no HL at all. he had problem with s, th, (used to pronounce s as k), but s and th are ok now. He has no issue at school. His reading is top in his class (top 4 in 31).

Please please help me!
This is such a minor loss, it barely counts as a loss.

It doesn't make sense to be so worried. No one really knows if it will get worse, but considering that tubes fixed most of it, all you really need to do is watch him for ear infections and get it treated.

If you still worry, get his hearing tested twice a year and monitor it.

I was told by an audi that my hearing would most likely stay the same for the rest of my life . He was wrong my hearing has gotten worst and there is nothing I can do about it but get an stronger hearing aid . And try to get my family to learn ASL with me.

I was told by an audi that my hearing would most likely stay the same for the rest of my life . He was wrong my hearing has gotten worst and there is nothing I can do about it but get an stronger hearing aid . And try to get my family to learn ASL with me.

Thanks. Do you mind tell me when you were diagnosed? what degree of HL at that time? and how long it took to get to your current HL at what degree?

thanks a lot!

This is such a minor loss, it barely counts as a loss.

It doesn't make sense to be so worried. No one really knows if it will get worse, but considering that tubes fixed most of it, all you really need to do is watch him for ear infections and get it treated.

If you still worry, get his hearing tested twice a year and monitor it.

Thanks. Is it possible to get OEM even with tubes are there?

mine was sudden due to illness at 30 , Bots given you good advice don't over analyse just watch for infection..
He doing well at school enjoy your son or you be ill

Thanks. Is it possible to get OEM even with tubes are there?

You mean otoacoustic emissions? It's not very accurate and has a high rate of false positive results.

So it's perfectly possible to have perfect hearing and have that test show that there is loss.

mine was sudden due to illness at 30 , Bots given you good advice don't over analyse just watch for infection..
He doing well at school enjoy your son or you be ill

Thank you so much.

I just cannot stop thinking of this. The worst days in my life. I worry about him a lot... education, social, work, marriage... a lot for him.

My life has completed changed. I never worried about anything for him before, now I worry everything for him. Whenever I see something related to him, I have tears in my eyes.

I never never never expected this to happen to him. I wish I could use my life for exchange for his healthy.

I have no mood to do anything, I know this is not right, but I don't know how can I go though this.....

Thank you so much.

I just cannot stop thinking of this. The worst days in my life. I worry about him a lot... education, social, work, marriage... a lot for him.

My life has completed changed. I never worried about anything for him before, now I worry everything for him. Whenever I see something related to him, I have tears in my eyes.

I never never never expected this to happen to him. I wish I could use my life for exchange for his healthy.

I have no mood to do anything, I know this is not right, but I don't know how can I go though this.....
There isn't anything to worry about there. Even if he had a more definite loss, the things you worry about aren't things he can't have.

I have a college education, am married, have children, grandchildren. Most of us here do have all that, or are well on their way for the younger members.

Where are you? You write like maybe your first language isn't English.

You mean otoacoustic emissions? It's not very accurate and has a high rate of false positive results.

So it's perfectly possible to have perfect hearing and have that test show that there is loss.

Sorry I meant otitis media with effusion.

When he was first diagnosed with OME last Nov, his ears are full with fluids, however no pain no fever no nothing, the only symptom is hearing loss at that time.

His adenoid and tonsil were also removed in July (same time as the tubes).

There isn't anything to worry about there. Even if he had a more definite loss, the things you worry about aren't things he can't have.

I have a college education, am married, have children, grandchildren. Most of us here do have all that, or are well on their way for the younger members.

Where are you? You write like maybe your first language isn't English.

Thanks, I am first gen immigrant in Canada, sorry for my English.

Sorry I meant otitis media with effusion.

When he was first diagnosed with OME last Nov, his ears are full with fluids, however no pain no fever no nothing, the only symptom is hearing loss at that time.

His adenoid and tonsil were also removed in July (same time as the tubes).

Oh. You understand that the tubes are there so it keeps draining and won't heal up and have fluid?

If they pop out and the ear gets fluid again, he can have another set of tubes.

Thanks, I am first gen immigrant in Canada, sorry for my English.

No. I wasn't criticizing your English. I just wondered if you live in a place that is horrible for deaf.

Canada is a good place.

Oh. You understand that the tubes are there so it keeps draining and won't heal up and have fluid?

If they pop out and the ear gets fluid again, he can have another set of tubes.

Thanks. The tubes are still there and working (tympanograms type b with large ear canal volume).

So I guess what you are saying is, if the tubes are still there and not blocked, then it is impossible to have fluid build up, thus his hearing should be back to normal unless there are problems with his middle ear or cochlear?

I know one could expect HL if the eardrum has a hole. So since he has tubes, then it means there are holes in his ear drums, could this be the reason for some of his HL?

Will his HL get better if the tubes are "naturally" moved out?

Thanks. Do you mind tell me when you were diagnosed? what degree of HL at that time? and how long it took to get to your current HL at what degree?

thanks a lot!

I was 8 yo when it was found out I was hoh and I only know it was bad enough it cause me to fail 5th grade . There is no way I can tell how long it took me to have the HL I how have . I really never worried about that part of my hearing lost b/c is has already happen and nothing it going to bring it back .

Thanks. The tubes are still there and working (tympanograms type b with large ear canal volume).

So I guess what you are saying is, if the tubes are still there and not blocked, then it is impossible to have fluid build up, thus his hearing should be back to normal unless there are problems with his middle ear or cochlear?

I know one could expect HL if the eardrum has a hole. So since he has tubes, then it means there are holes in his ear drums, could this be the reason for some of his HL?

Will his HL get better if the tubes are "naturally" moved out?

I believe the tubes, being holes, will affect his hearing. When they come out, the hole they made in the eardrum will need to close (usually on it's own).

I was 8 yo when it was found out I was hoh and I only know it was bad enough it cause me to fail 5th grade . There is no way I can tell how long it took me to have the HL I how have . I really never worried about that part of my hearing lost b/c is has already happen and nothing it going to bring it back .

Sorry to bother you again, what is your dB of HL now? and how many years it took to get to your current HL from when you were 8 years old?

I believe the tubes, being holes, will affect his hearing. When they come out, the hole they made in the eardrum will need to close (usually on it's own).

Thanks, this is my only hope ...

My daughter had many ear infections growing up. One time she had porforated both ear drums and one did not heal on it's own. Eventually she had the ear drum replaced. She has mild-moderate hearing loss and she did not need/get hearing aids until earlier this year when she was 20. She is a junior in college studying nursing and has been on the dean's list every semester. She was a straight A student (well, one B in her freshman year) in high school.

If it's just the ear infections that are causing the hearing loss, I don't think you need to worry. Then, again, as Bott said, you don't need to worry even if he has more loss. It's not a death sentence.

BTW, I am late deafened with severe to profound hearing loss and get along well with my hearing aids. And have no issues when I don't have them on (though those around me probably have issues with my not hearing them :lol: )

Back