Wild Rabbit

ohmylight

Reaction score
My cat, the vicious killer, has brought back another baby rabbit. This time it's alive. Stressed... Skinned a little... But doing ok. I'm going to try to save it.

My plan today is to clean out a small old bird cage, get a little food from the pet store, offer a mix of pedialyte and water, and offer food with lact.... (The probiotic in your stomach... It worked for my abandoned cat)... And also treat the wounds with neosporin and wound wash...

Ideas? Thoughts? Experience? I've never worked with rabbits, and this was unexpected.

Cats tend to have listeria in their saliva, which causes virulent infections. You probably will need strong antibiotics from the vet to save it.

Good luck.

I would call a wild life wild life expert, you need to have a license in some cities to care for a wild animal. The rabbit could have fleas and ticks too so I am not sure I would want to keep it in the house with a cat .

I would call a wild life wild life expert, you need to have a license in some cities to care for a wild animal. The rabbit could have fleas and ticks too so I am not sure I would want to keep it in the house with a cat .

The cats and dogs are all treated for fleas and ticks, so I'm not worried about that - they get the stuff on their necks each month (today actually)... I'm going to try to re-release after a recovery... The cats I have we're rescues and challenges as well - they had a 1/16 chance at surviving. Ignoring the license bit ;) lol

The cats and dogs are all treated for fleas and ticks, so I'm not worried about that - they get the stuff on their necks each month (today actually)... I'm going to try to re-release after a recovery... The cats I have we're rescues and challenges as well - they had a 1/16 chance at surviving. Ignoring the license bit ;) lol

Yeah but some cities fines people for having a wild animal even if they're trying to help it. I always bring an animal to a vet or call a wildlife expert as they know wwaaay more than I do or you.

a rabbit mother leaves the kits all day feeding once,they social creatures be prepared it proberly wont survive they die of shock quickly.It sounds harsh but it maybe for the best..You doing your best and every effort we make help wildlife

a rabbit mother leaves the kits all day feeding once,they social creatures be prepared it proberly wont survive they die of shock quickly.It sounds harsh but it maybe for the best..You doing your best and every effort we make help wildlife

I'm prepared for that if it does die. It's cute and my little success just a few minutes ago was that I got it to drink pedialyte for hydration. It was found this morning around 10AM and is currently resting on clean dish towels in a clean old birdcage I had in the basement with a hand warmer usually used for snowboarding at the very bottom to keep it just a little warmer than usual. The house is calm, so I'm just letting it be. If it dies, at least it dies in a calm warm clean bed. It seemed to like the wound wash I put on it's back - I used it to heal a piercing in the past - it numbs a little bit and cleans the entire wound. So at least it was a little more comfortable.

If he's still alive on Tuesday he's going to the vets. Everything is closed here for the long weekend.

you can but try i would,If he still alive and happy bunny tuesday sound like no need vet cos you be doing all that needed..i dont think vet can do anymore than you are and you take chance of vet putting bun to sleep..i use to take rescued bunnies,the fact it still alive not died of shock you doing good job

Thank you for trying to save a life. I have seen injured birds. I would trust wild life vets to take care of injured animals. After all, they went to school for treating animals like that.

Thank you for trying to save a life. I have seen injured birds. I would trust wild life vets to take care of injured animals. After all, they went to school for treating animals like that.

Yea, I know this, however with the long Labor day weekend everything is closed until Tuesday. Hopefully he makes it until tuesday.... and if he does and still needs help I'll be contacting them. Trying to figure out what to do UNTIL tuesday.

My cat was in the same situation when I rescued him. He was found in the morning at the start to a long weekend... must be something about these long weekends that bring out this sort of situation!

Yea, I know this, however with the long Labor day weekend everything is closed until Tuesday. Hopefully he makes it until tuesday.... and if he does and still needs help I'll be contacting them. Trying to figure out what to do UNTIL tuesday.

My cat was in the same situation when I rescued him. He was found in the morning at the start to a long weekend... must be something about these long weekends that bring out this sort of situation!

One of our dogs was seen on an emergency basis by our vet on Christmas Eve. We are lucky in have a really dedicated veterinary hospital.

An update for the rabbit - 13 hour's later, he's still doing ok! He had some shaved carrots and he leaned into my hand to take them, so he wasn't just laying there. He's resettled on his bed a few times all on his own.

One of our dogs was seen on an emergency basis by our vet on Christmas Eve. We are lucky in have a really dedicated veterinary hospital.
In our area we have emergency vets who are on call for the regular vets. They do cost more but it's worth not having to wait. We had to use one once when our cat swallowed a thread and needle. He had to have surgery to remove it. (Same cat who would eat tinsel off the Christmas tree and run thru the house with it hanging out his butt--very decorative.)

Many years ago, when we lived in Pensacola, FL, and another kitty had a bad accident on a weekend. We called our regular vet, and somehow got in touch with him at his boat (this was in the days before cell phones). He told us to meet him at his office, which was midway between our home and his boat. He was amazing.

In our area we have emergency vets who are on call for the regular vets. They do cost more but it's worth not having to wait. We had to use one once when our cat swallowed a thread and needle. He had to have surgery to remove it. (Same cat who would eat tinsel off the Christmas tree and run thru the house with it hanging out his butt--very decorative.)

Many years ago, when we lived in Pensacola, FL, and another kitty had a bad accident on a weekend. We called our regular vet, and somehow got in touch with him at his boat (this was in the days before cell phones). He told us to meet him at his office, which was midway between our home and his boat. He was amazing.

I currently take all my pets to Banfield. It's been a good vet however their big problem is emergency and not being flexible with timing, because they're a part of Petsmart. When I found my cat, Enso (not the manic killer, by the way) they told me "over the counter advice" for free to help me figure out how to raise him on my own. He had a 1/16 chance of living and he did. So I'll be bringing this guy over there on Tuesday if need be.

Your vet seems great. Our old vet euthanized my old dog at our home in the backyard on his dog bed when he had cancer even though we had switched to Banfield for his care. Even they're closed for this weekend though.

Little guy didn't make it through the night :(

At least he was numbed and cleaned...

My cat is a jerk. Lol

I am sorry. most of rabbits are very sensitive when they are around humans. I am not sure why.

I'm sorry. You tried your best. :hug:

its a wild animal they either put it out for fostering or put it to sleep..unlikely be accepted back to the others,...i never took wild ones vet put them down....the lass doing her best but afraid it going to be dinner for another animal or bird once released,such is nature

Back