Wikipedia BAD!!

I always stress that Wikipedia can be used as the starting point in a research, but never to be used as a citation.

I think Wikipedia is fine for online forums discussions. After all we're not at the front line of research right here on AD. Obviously for academic papers and for research of any kind, Wikipedia is insufficient.

But to be honest, I am surprised that people reject Wikipedia as a source here on AD. After all this is an online site, where people are just conversing and expressing their opinions. We're trying to find the cure to cancer.

<worst typo of the century> We're not trying to find the cure to cancer.

When they debate about stuff like abortion, Israeli conflict, sociological/psychological effects of people and things, stuff that can get heated fast - the pros don't like it when you have to cite the source from an entry level background. This is modern debating.

It's "if you can keep up with the heat, do it with the right sources, or if you can't keep up, then stay out." arguments going around. Wiki's just good for digging up your (possibly incorrect) information to get started, but to argue back when they've got something with more credibility - this is where the hot spot is at.

I don't think Jillio cites Wiki.

i've never seen her do it.

as to the type of language that is appropriate, plain english is always appropriate. ph.d. language should be reserved for technical publications only.

i've never seen her do it.

as to the type of language that is appropriate, plain english is always appropriate. reserve the ph.d. language for technical publications only.

I'm sorry. I'll try to make an effort to speak more plainly. When I get really enthusiastic about a subject, I tend to throw out a lot of terminology. It's a habit of mine I'm working on.

jillio is currently earning her ph.d. and yet i've never had any difficulty understanding her posts. then again, i'm pretty familiar with various aspects of mental illness and psychology, so perhaps that has something to do with it. :dunno:

I'm sorry. I'll try to make an effort to speak more plainly. When I get really enthusiastic about a subject, I tend to throw out a lot of terminology. It's a habit of mine I'm working on.

okay. no problem.

nika,

i wonder if it would be easier for you to quote a website that speaks in plain english instead of trying to explain something yourself. this is what i do when it comes to mental illness, psychology and psychiatry because sometimes i end up talking "medical-ease" and using abbreviations such as tdoc, pdoc and prn that most people do not understand.

I have used wiki as a "go to" source on AD only. It's easy to use. However, if I'm debating a topic, I will never cite Wiki. I will use a more credible source.

The thing about Wiki that I do like is thats easy to read and understand. But, it SHOULD NOT be used as a reliable source to back up a contentious point, and it absolutely should not be used in writing papers and such in school.

Good thread, Jiro.

nika,

i wonder if it would be easier for you to quote a website that speaks in plain english instead of trying to explain something yourself. this is what i do when it comes to mental illness, psychology and psychiatry because sometimes i end up talking "medical-ease" and using abbreviations such as tdoc, pdoc and prn that most people do not understand.

In general that is what I do. But I got attacked for quoting Wiki on here so then I shied away from that. But I will do that from now on.

nika,

i know that when we were discussing ptsd and the like it would have been helpful to have websites quoted that explained the disorder in a simple fashion. i was confused as to what ptsd was until i clarified it with my therapist after he diagnosed me.

To be honest I am just not good at explaining things clearly. The fault is mine. But in the future I will link you to a Wiki on PTSD. If you want a more thorough understanding you can always search in the DSM-IV (It's under 309.81 if I remember correctly) or ask your therapist. <smile>

For the purposes of AD posts, I'll just stick to my Wiki.

To be honest I am just not good at explaining things clearly. The fault is mine. But in the future I will link you to a Wiki on PTSD. If you want a more thorough understanding you can always search in the DSM-IV (It's under 309.81 if I remember correctly) or ask your therapist. <smile>

For the purposes of AD posts, I'll just stick to my Wiki.

i don't have a copy of the dsm, nika. do you?

Back