Why?

i work at a residential deaf school, socialize exclusively with deaf, and have a deaf girlfriend. needless to say, i have a huge heart for deaf.

that said, i constantly deal with the "us vs them" mentality simply because i am hearing. If a deaf person offends another deaf person at work, its largely ignored, if a hearing does it, its somehow hearing opression against deaf.

ive even seen this pertain to mainstreamed deaf vs residential deaf.

the problem you have is with "individuals" that come here and dont respect the views of deaf people. but simply being deaf doesn't mean your view is automatically more valid than a hearing persons, and vice versa.

i hate labels and want to get rid of them. we are all just people. there is no black/white, tall/short, fat/skinny, deaf/hearing. we are all people

i work at a residential deaf school, socialize exclusively with deaf, and have a deaf girlfriend. needless to say, i have a huge heart for deaf.

that said, i constantly deal with the "us vs them" mentality simply because i am hearing. If a deaf person offends another deaf person at work, its largely ignored, if a hearing does it, its somehow hearing opression against deaf.

the problem you have is with "individuals" that come here and dont respect the views of deaf people. but simply being deaf doesn't mean your view is automatically more valid than a hearing persons, and vice versa.

i hate labels and want to get rid of them. we are all just people. there is no black/white, tall/short, fat/skinny, deaf/hearing. we are all people
i agree there..

I've seen some blacks calling eachother "******" or "niggas" they're fine with it. if a white calls them "******" they will feel offended.

its similar to what you said above.
so i'm sure ever culture is the same.

I am all for that. Any suggestions on how to change it? It has to start somewhere...

I got it. :)

Good posts Jillo. I think your son is very lucky to have a mother like you.

Jillio, I've enjoyed your postings immensely and have a high regard for the opinions that you so eloquently express on this forum. It would be a pleasure to meet you one day and shake your hand.

As to why some hearing people have that particular attitude when it comes to deaf people, I can only speak from personal experience. A lot of hearing parents, not all, that I've met thru my school mates when I was growing up in a residential school for the deaf and some professionals also have the "plantation mentality" when it comes to deaf children/adults. They have this "you couldn't possibly know what's best for you because you're deaf" attitude and feel that they have to make decisions for us. It does get irritating sometimes and I can understand your frustration. I just see it as ignorance on their part and leave it at that.

And yes, your son is lucky to have a mother like you. Wish all deaf/hh kids were so blessed.

Jillio, I've enjoyed your postings immensely and have a high regard for the opinions that you so eloquently express on this forum. It would be a pleasure to meet you one day and shake your hand.

As to why some hearing people have that particular attitude when it comes to deaf people, I can only speak from personal experience. A lot of hearing parents, not all, that I've met thru my school mates when I was in growing up in a residential school for the deaf and some professionals also have the "plantation mentality" when it comes to deaf children/adults. They have this "you couldn't possibly know what's best for you because you're deaf" attitude and feel that they have to make decisions for us. It does get irritating sometimes and I can understand your frustration. I just see it as ignorance on their part and leave it at that.

And yes, your son is lucky to have a mother like you. Wish all deaf/hh kids were so blessed.

Gawd!!! I wish my parents were more like Jillo but my mom was only 18 years old and my dad was in his own world so I cant hold it against them. At least my mom realized her mistakes from denying me sign language.

I've also enjoyed your posts too, Shel. You've come so far and accomplished so much in your life and I admire you for that. Sometimes you can't help but wonder how different your life could have been if your parents had done things differently. You are doing what you love and making a differrence in the lives of the kids that you work with. I would love to be a teacher but, unfortunately, I didn't finish college and get my degree. Keep up the good work.

I've also enjoyed your posts too, Shel. You've come so far and accomplished so much in your life and I admire you for that. Sometimes you can't help but wonder how different your life could have been if your parents had done things differently. You are doing what you love and making a differrence in the lives of the kids that you work with. I would love to be a teacher but, unfortunately, I didn't finish college and get my degree. Keep up the good work.

Awww thanks! I am a very very type A personality person. LOL! Tooo hard headed sometimes and very amgious. :)

Not everyone is meant to be a teacher cuz it is a very challenging job. Important u find a job thath u love to do.:)

yeah you are damn right, i knew hearing people are test on deaf people what they tablk about it. let hearing :rl: out our alldeaf are business...

As to why some hearing people have that particular attitude when it comes to deaf people, I can only speak from personal experience. A lot of hearing parents, not all, that I've met thru my school mates when I was growing up in a residential school for the deaf and some professionals also have the "plantation mentality" when it comes to deaf children/adults. They have this "you couldn't possibly know what's best for you because you're deaf" attitude and feel that they have to make decisions for us. It does get irritating sometimes and I can understand your frustration. I just see it as ignorance on their part and leave it at that.

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

And yes, your son is lucky to have a mother like you. Wish all deaf/hh kids were so blessed.[/QUOTE]

Same here..wish all were blessed. Sometimes I get so discouraged with my job cuz I am trying to get my students get caught up to their acadamic age level but it is so hard due to little or no support from some of the parents. I can only just keep on working but too often I see the kids grow up with poor literacy skills due to lack of motivation for learning after years of struggling to understand concepts and no communication at home. I just think it is a waste.

Shel,
I can't say that I understand how you feel because I have not walked in your shoes. But, by observation, I can see that what you say is true. I agree that a lot of kids are getting robbed because they do not have a support system at home to accelerate the learning curve. It's the same as when I was a kid and I can see that things haven't changed that much.

But don't give up and if you can make a difference in the life of just one kid then all your efforts will have not been in vain. Have faith and know that you are doing some good in this world.

:ty: very much! I am in total agreement with you about the "plantation mentality." First, hearing people construct the idea of deaf as disabled, and then use it to oppress. And I would enjou meeting you, as well. Who knows what the future holds?

And yes, your son is lucky to have a mother like you. Wish all deaf/hh kids were so blessed.[/QUOTE]

Same here..wish all were blessed. Sometimes I get so discouraged with my job cuz I am trying to get my students get caught up to their acadamic age level but it is so hard due to little or no support from some of the parents. I can only just keep on working but too often I see the kids grow up with poor literacy skills due to lack of motivation for learning after years of struggling to understand concepts and no communication at home. I just think it is a waste.

Seems the prevailing attitude is speech over knowledge.

Seems the prevailing attitude is speech over knowledge.

Sad but true, especially when it comes to early childhood education for deaf kids. The so called "professionals" that think they know what's best for deaf kids can't see the forest for the trees. How sad....

Shel,
I can't say that I understand how you feel because I have not walked in your shoes. But, by observation, I can see that what you say is true. I agree that a lot of kids are getting robbed because they do not have a support system at home to accelerate the learning curve. It's the same as when I was a kid and I can see that things haven't changed that much.

But don't give up and if you can make a difference in the life of just one kid then all your efforts will have not been in vain. Have faith and know that you are doing some good in this world.

Yea thanks..

We work with a very special population of kids so people dont realize the challenges we deaf educators face and then they blame us or the schools for "failing" the kids.

Deaf schools are not all perfect but considering all the obstacles we have to work with, I am so thankful that we have deaf schools. Without them, those kids who were drowing in the oral/mainstreamed programs wouldnt have a decent life after graduation.

It really sickens me when people see deaf schools as 2nd class education. Some appreciation and respect would go a long way for us teachers who are working hard daily with more lack of support from the families.

Yea thanks..

We work with a very special population of kids so people dont realize the challenges we deaf educators face and then they blame us or the schools for "failing" the kids.

Deaf schools are not all perfect but considering all the obstacles we have to work with, I am so thankful that we have deaf schools. Without them, those kids who were drowing in the oral/mainstreamed programs wouldnt have a decent life after graduation.

It really sickens me when people see deaf schools as 2nd class education. Some appreciation and respect would go a long way for us teachers who are working hard daily with more lack of support from the families.

:cheers: A toast to ya! You got my support.

I am hearing and I came here to learn. As with any other culture--whether the Deaf culture, or black culture, or male culture--being open minded, tolerant and respectful are the keys. All cultures have so much to learn and share if it is done with love. So many people lash out because of their own fear.

I appreciate being able to come here as a hearing person and learn.

Back