Why talking about owning different guns?

lol..... 2 sides... those who are gun owners have no problem with open discussion about guns..... and those who are not gun owners have a grave concern about open discussion because it's like advertising yourself as a hot target for criminals...

oh dear oh dear

NY Gun Laws

Do you mean that stores in NY don't prohibit concealed carry guns?
Reba, I am sorry but I don't remember the laws there well enough. I got my permit with a pistol @1988. I was in somewhat awe when we came first to Research Triangle Park @1996 for me to look for a job then when we moved here. There are so many signs posted that clearly stated you cannot enter the store with a gun. So, it took both of us aback. On many lightposts, there are advertisements for carry & conceal (whatever it is) classes. It's odd. THAT does not exist in NY and if it did it would scare the heck out of me.

We had a gun in our house and no one in our neighborhood knew about it, as they do not here. We do not advertise it because it's dangerous. I don't need punks thinking they can come into our house and attempt to overtake us. With our guns (and for me in the daylight), my gun will be used by me.

Two punks seeing a chick walk down a dark alley may not know she has a gun. How effective will it be? I don't know.

(Reba, you said you were a victim of a crime as was I. In my particular case, a gun would've helped but I was younger in NYC so I don't know about the legalities of it. I do remember one odd rule. If an intruder was shot coming into your house but was not in your house when you shot him/her, you could be charged with the crime. I remember thinking how nuts that was. So wait until they're in, then shoot.)

-- Sheri

Reba, I am sorry but I don't remember the laws there well enough. I got my permit with a pistol @1988. I was in somewhat awe when we came first to Research Triangle Park @1996 for me to look for a job then when we moved here. There are so many signs posted that clearly stated you cannot enter the store with a gun. So, it took both of us aback. On many lightposts, there are advertisements for carry & conceal (whatever it is) classes. It's odd. THAT does not exist in NY and if it did it would scare the heck out of me.

We had a gun in our house and no one in our neighborhood knew about it, as they do not here. We do not advertise it because it's dangerous. I don't need punks thinking they can come into our house and attempt to overtake us. With our guns (and for me in the daylight), my gun will be used by me.

Two punks seeing a chick walk down a dark alley may not know she has a gun. How effective will it be? I don't know.

(Reba, you said you were a victim of a crime as was I. In my particular case, a gun would've helped but I was younger in NYC so I don't know about the legalities of it. I do remember one odd rule. If an intruder was shot coming into your house but was not in your house when you shot him/her, you could be charged with the crime. I remember thinking how nuts that was. So wait until they're in, then shoot.)

-- Sheri

Shooting is something you don't want to do; it must be the last possible thing you do in an incident even if someone is in your house. What happened when you were younger when a "gun would have helped" as you said?

I'm not laughin at this one and there are multiple concerns

lol..... 2 sides... those who are gun owners have no problem with open discussion about guns..... and those who are not gun owners have a grave concern about open discussion because it's like advertising yourself as a hot target for criminals...

oh dear oh dear
There are way more sides than two. I have a real concern due to my lack of hearing at night. I have no concern if an idiot attempts to come in here during the day. I also live next to a neighbor whose house was entered MANY times by a 16 year old kid. I have empathy for the stupidity of the kid (and reason) and I understand my neighbor freaking out.

I will say that while at our annual picnic, two dudes from out of our neighborhood were zipping up and down our streets on motorscooters. Dogs could be hit, kids could be hit. I jumped up from eating at a picnic table and ran to head them off at a one way street. We had a talk. I asked if they were from here (they said no - I'm the treas. I know faces but I'm not stupid and being polite was required) and I told them our rules said they're not allowed to be riding around. I also explained that I rode a motorcycle and it was a lot of fun but even I'm not allowed to do what they were doing. So, I am not exactly a scared woman but I know my limitations - being deaf and being 59 doesn't make me very agile. But, at least I ran fast enough to block the kids and surprise some neighbors. I have not seen them since.

My gun is just that and if every idiot out there knows about it, ESPECIALLY AS A SENIOR (hate that word) DEAF WOMAN who can't run like she used to, dang it, no, I don't want every Jack, Jill, and Dever to know I have a gun. That would be stupid of me. Yes, in my case, I could become the target of a punk and I'm older than my neighbor who had felony charges brought up against a kid. Something about not hearing and my dog looking like a stuffed animal makes me a bigger target. So, yeah, it would be stupid of me to advertise it.

Maybe if I were in my 20s or 30s or mid 40s it would be different (I could hear and run but my dog back then still looked like a stuffed animal - not overweight). I was in better shape.

Last edited:
Shooting is something you don't want to do; it must be the last possible thing you do in an incident even if someone is in your house. What happened when you were younger when a "gun would have helped" as you said?
I agree it is not something I would do and our attitudes changed when we moved from outside NYC to the south. I'm sorry but when I was younger, having a gun would've helped and I believe I had the brains enough to know it (and I was faster). I don't feel comfortable getting into details. I was 14 years old and have no doubt I would've ended up shooting the guy instead of being a victim and understand that was (I can't count that high :) many years ago; not something forgotten but certainly something gotten past). Change any part of the circumstances and you change the outcome.

I agree that shooting is different and since it is more freely accepted here, we will have guns available. Two is enough :) !!!!

A concealed weapon carry permit means that a person can carry a gun on his or her person as long as it's not visible to other people and that certain restrictions are observed.

In SC, we pay a fee, submit our fingerprints, background information, and photo to SLED (State Law Enforcement Division). Then, we take an all-day course in gun laws, use and safety. At the end of the course, we take a written test. If we pass the written test, then we take the practical range test. If we pass that, and the background check, then we get a permit (that looks like a picture ID or driver's license) that allows us to carry a concealed weapon.

Some of the restrictions to a concealed carry permit are:

• don't let the weapon show when wearing it
  • don't wear in disallowed places (without specific permission) such as courthouses, schools, government buildings, churches, military installations, polling places or hospitals
  • don't wear in private homes without permission
  • don't wear in businesses that have the appropriate signage prohibiting concealed weapons

We had a gun in our house and no one in our neighborhood knew about it, as they do not here.
To purchase a gun we don't need a permit; the gun dealer does a background check by phone. To simply keep a gun in our residence, we don't need any permits. If we live in government housing, guns are not allowed...

Reba, you said you were a victim of a crime
Mine was minor. I was walking along a street in North Chicago in 1971, and had my purse snatched. The guy grabbed my purse, and then ran to a waiting car, which then sped off. I was left holding the shoulder strap.

... I do remember one odd rule. If an intruder was shot coming into your house but was not in your house when you shot him/her, you could be charged with the crime. I remember thinking how nuts that was. So wait until they're in, then shoot.
We don't have that rule in SC. We have the castle doctrine.

Some of the restrictions to a concealed carry permit are:

• don't wear in private homes without permission
  • don't wear in businesses that have the appropriate signage prohibiting concealed weapons.
I've never heard of those restrictions. Asking a person permission to carry concealed while in their home is a courtesy, not a requirement of the permit in Massachusetts or NH - I've never heard of it being a legal requirement in any other state. If you carry concealed in Walmart or CVS, assuming there's a sign telling you that you can't carry, and someone sees your gun - unlikely for people who regularly carry concealed, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. You're not detained or arrested because it's not a legal violation.

I carry every place I can - legally. I've never had an incident where I carried into a person's home but I would if I felt it necessary, and I wouldn't inform them ahead of time any more than I'd inform anyone of when I'm going to the bank and how much I plan to deposit.

My responsibility is not to carry where I'm legally prohibited, and that includes pepper spay. Getting back to the original question of the post, I myself would never announce that I'm carrying any more than I'd put an NRA sticker on my car. It invites angry liberals to smash my windows out of spite...and I equate it with Floyd Mayweather Jr. saying "I don't believe in banks." It just invites people to do something and not surprisingly, Mayweather was robbed not long after shooting his mouth off about the cash he carries.

If you carry a gun, if you're carrying money, if you take medication with you in your purse - no one needs to know that. We live in a society that shares too much information and some things don't need to be discussed.

Laura

[/LIST]
I've never heard of those restrictions. Asking a person permission to carry concealed while in their home is a courtesy, not a requirement of the permit in Massachusetts or NH - I've never heard of it being a legal requirement in any other state. If you carry concealed in Walmart or CVS, assuming there's a sign telling you that you can't carry, and someone sees your gun - unlikely for people who regularly carry concealed, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. You're not detained or arrested because it's not a legal violation.

I carry every place I can - legally. I've never had an incident where I carried into a person's home but I would if I felt it necessary, and I wouldn't inform them ahead of time any more than I'd inform anyone of when I'm going to the bank and how much I plan to deposit.

My responsibility is not to carry where I'm legally prohibited, and that includes pepper spay. Getting back to the original question of the post, I myself would never announce that I'm carrying any more than I'd put an NRA sticker on my car. It invites angry liberals to smash my windows out of spite...and I equate it with Floyd Mayweather Jr. saying "I don't believe in banks." It just invites people to do something and not surprisingly, Mayweather was robbed not long after shooting his mouth off about the cash he carries.

If you carry a gun, if you're carrying money, if you take medication with you in your purse - no one needs to know that. We live in a society that shares too much information and some things don't need to be discussed.

Laura
(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre-school facility;

(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

A person who wilfully violates a provision of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.
South Carolina Legislature Mobile

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

HISTORY: 1996 Act No. 464, Section 8.

SECTION 23-31-225. Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings.

No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.

HISTORY: 1996 Act No. 464, Section 12.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

The laws on firearms and carrying varies greatly from state to state. And I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find many celebs that carry that obey the laws of their state with regard to gun ownership and restrictions...they believe they're above them and that those laws only apply to little people....not a reflection of most law abiding gun owners....of which I'm one.

Here what I found in one of the news on Facebook.

Coalition To Stop Gun Violence's Status

Twas the week after Newtown, and in the NRA
They schemed how to keep money flowing their way.
An idea was formed by a Scrooge named Wayne
"We hid behind the law before, we will do it again.
We will establish a fear of gun regulation
By claiming it will lead to gun confiscation.
With a gun in one hand, and a flag in another,
We shall convince the gullible to do nothing about Americans killing each... other."
Then out in the White House, there was a call for ending violence.
The President declared "This is a time for action, not silence."
Away to his lobby, Wayne went in a flash
With a mouth full of lies, and bags full of cash.
"We have made money from Newtown, this money we will spend.
To make sure this push for gun regulation comes to an end."
And what to his scheming eyes should appear
Senators, with palms out, grinning from ear to ear.
They gathered to do the bidding of the gun industry
They did not care that 90% of Americans wanted to be gun-violence free.
Wayne bribed them all, to ensure they would not lose.
He gave money to Ryan, to Ayotte, to Paul and to Cruz
To Flake and to McConnell, every greedy legislator
Shall do the corporate bidding, for that is in their selfish nature.
The gun lobby money had corrupted them all,
Thousands of Americans killed, the gun industry would not take a fall.
Then, in case any doubt of blame would linger,
Wayne looked around, and started pointing the finger.
"Do not blame the gun" Wayne declared from his steeple,
"Guns only save lives, people kill people.
And do not blame the shooter, he is mentally insane,
And in no way connected to the NRA."
Then, to strike a chord of fear and alarm,
Wayne said "Blame the victims, for they were not armed.
Blame the President too, who was so mistaken,
In thinking we would allow our guns to be taken.
For gun control ultimately is a slippery slope."
With those words, Wayne thought, his enemies had no hope.
His eyes were on fire as they all voted "nay"
The gun industry was merry, the domestic arms race would stay.
The violence continued, and things did not change,
Some even called for more guns, with over 300 million, I know that sounds strange.
Accidents, suicides and homicides abound
Some were even ruled justified, under the law Stand Your Ground.
With over 30,000 Americans dying each year,
One wonders why gun owners are filled with such cheer.
Don't they know, when shootings happen, again and again,
Common sense will prevail, it is just a matter of when.
Fear not, gun owners, when gun control happens, do not be alarmed,
No law abiding gun owner will be completely disarmed.
And if you are afraid that the government will seize your gun,
Take a closer look at the gun industry, and the corruption they have done.
They hide behind the Constitution, and lie to your face,
They profit from death while taking your money, a complete disgrace.

One final note, before I bid you adieu,
Common sense gun control will happen. How soon? That is up to you.
Merry Christmas

(sent to us by a supporter)

I do support gun control ... I use both hands to aim :D

Laura

Well said.

p.s. My brother, who listens to right-wing talk shows, has a bunch of guns, and believes everything Fox news announces, told me that in many states such as MA and MD, if you are a registered gun owner, and you have been prescribed psychotropic meds such as Ambien, Lunesta (sleeping pills), the po-po will come a-knockin' on your door to remove all your guns.

Not sure if that is true, don't feel like googling it, but wondering if you have read such a thing? Sounds iffy and plausible to me...I would expect that if you are being treated for mental illness, that is one thing, but prescription sleeping pills.......

This is a personal choice, just like opinions.

My.02 ?

If you carry concealed, keep it that way, you have the advantage if no one knows its there. Know how to use it. Thats means time at the range and truthfully, a combat handguning course is a good idea.

No gun is worth anything if you can't hit your target.

Do I carry ? Am I exceptionally proficent with it ? Good questions to ask yourself if you decide to do me harm.

Well said.

p.s. My brother, who listens to right-wing talk shows, has a bunch of guns, and believes everything Fox news announces, told me that in many states such as MA and MD, if you are a registered gun owner, and you have been prescribed psychotropic meds such as Ambien, Lunesta (sleeping pills), the po-po will come a-knockin' on your door to remove all your guns.

Not sure if that is true, don't feel like googling it, but wondering if you have read such a thing? Sounds iffy and plausible to me...I would expect that if you are being treated for mental illness, that is one thing, but prescription sleeping pills.......

No, medical backgrounds are private and doctors don't go around to police stations giving out patient histories, it's illegal. I'm sure there's many in the police force that take similar pills and drugs like prozac and they're not confined to desk duty. Talk shows like to sell stories, no matter how unrealistic or baseless, so one should take them with a grain of salt. I owned a "cache" of guns (before my bills) including the liberal favorite term "assault rifles." If you obey the laws and practice responsible gun ownership, there's no reason to worry about the knock on your door. :)

Edit to add, I do believe that if a person develops a serious mental illness, i.e. biopolar, PTS after serving in Iraq, etc., a medical intervention should occur for the safety of the person's family and the general public, but again, medical privacy sadly prevents that as well.

Alaska Supreme Court vacates mental commitment for man who heard Jesus | State News | ADN.com

This recent case shows how the system works here in Alaska. We are a right wing polarized state.
The dissenting retired judge William Carpentieri is from a far more practical era.
The real intent of the judges in this case in my opinion is to add to an ongoing gathering of precedent to support the right wing determination here to make sure that the mentally can have guns and to protect them from people trying to see that they do not. This push began during Sarah Palin's administration. I can and will back this up.

Haley’s post on pistol stirs debate

BY ANDREW KNAPP

December 27, 2013

When Gov. Nikki Haley uploaded a photo of one of her Christmas presents to social media Thursday, some of her followers saw it as just another day in the life of a South Carolina politician. But a few were taken aback when they saw the picture of the 9 mm pistol that Haley said Santa — it was actually her husband — got for her.

“Our family had a wonderful Christmas together!” the governor wrote Thursday morning on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. “I must have been good. Santa gave me a Beretta PX4 Storm.”

The post harkened back to four years ago, when she first faced state Sen. Vincent Sheheen, a Democrat and a gun owner from Camden, in the race for the governor’s mansion. Then, both candidates tried to assert themselves as the most strident defender of the Second Amendment.

In a time of heightened debate on gun control, voters could see more of the same leading up to their anticipated rematch in November 2014.

“I wouldn’t say it’s shocking,” said Neal Thigpen, a former professor at Francis Marion University and longtime observer of state politics. “But usually, the Republicans don’t have to reach for the gun voters. It’s usually the Democrats with guns saying, ‘I’m a Democrat, but I’m a South Carolina Democrat.’”

Through his campaign manager, Sheheen took a pass on addressing the photo. In a statement released Thursday by the S.C. Democratic Party, Andrew Whalen instead extended Sheheen’s best wishes.

“Vincent had a wonderful holiday with his family,” Whalen said. “We hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.”

Haley’s posts quickly spread across the Internet and attracted attention from national news media.

In its first six hours, the Facebook version of the photo had been “liked” 13,000 times and shared by 1,300 people.

Most of the 1,500 comments on the post showed support for Haley. Many people said it evoked pride in the Palmetto State. One expressed a desire to move from an “uptight” New England state to a more firearms-friendly place like South Carolina.

“You’re my kind of governor,” another said.

But a smattering of Facebook users didn’t like what they saw.
One asked why Haley would need a gun as a governor. One noted how South Carolina has been ranked consistently in the Top 10 for its number of homicides by firearms.

“In your position it’s not right to advocate this,” a Richland County resident wrote about gun ownership. “You lose my vote.”

Haley has held a concealed-weapons permit since 2007, and Thursday’s post was just a light moment in her personal life, said her spokesman, Doug Mayer.

Mayer wouldn’t say whether Haley plans to carry the gun, whether she sees a need to have it for self-defense in Columbia or whether she owns other pistols. He also wouldn’t say whether Haley had political reasons for posting the picture.

“She has lots of things on her Facebook page,” Mayer said. “She shares lots of things from her personal life.”

The Beretta PX4 Storm Compact can hold 15 9 mm rounds in its magazine and another one in its chamber. Its Italian manufacturer touts the 6.8-inch-long handgun as ideal for concealed carry by citizens and police officers alike.

It sells for about $575.

The gun bears similarities to the Beretta M9, the standard-issue pistol for the U.S. military. Haley’s husband, Capt. Michael Haley of the Army National Guard, returned this month from a yearlong deployment to Afghanistan.
The governor herself is no stranger to firearms. In July, a video that Haley’s camp uploaded to YouTube showed her shooting military-grade pistols and automatic rifles at FN Manufacturing in Columbia.

The Beretta that Haley’s husband picked out isn’t a gun that Chris Badgett, general manager of ATP Gun Shop and Range near Summerville, would recommend for most women.

The store handled a bevy of shoppers from both sexes looking to put guns under the tree for their significant others this Christmas, Badgett said.
For most women looking to carry a gun for self-defense, he typically recommends a .38-caliber revolver, which has less of a recoil and fewer moving parts than the semi-automatic pistol.

“But for women who are active shooters, the Beretta is a really good choice,” he said. “It’s small, lightweight and real reliable.”
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=print

Regardless of Stephan's status, the implications of the bolded section are troubling:

...Stephen also discussed how he had not been raised in a very religious household and that he had started going to church as an adult.

The hearing for an involuntary, 30-day commitment was held Jan. 20 in Juneau Superior Court. Part of the hearing focused on whether Stephen was having a deeply religious experience or delusions. The psychiatrist's opinion was that Stephen was delusional.

A person's religious beliefs, if they come from how the person was raised, are generally considered rational, the psychiatrist said, according to the Supreme Court opinion.

"However, in (Stephen's) case, the religiosity that he manifested started five years ago and led him to behave in a way that was substantially dangerous to himself, and could have killed him," the psychiatrist said. "And it doesn't come from a cultural, historical context. It comes out of the blue."

That implies that any adult who becomes "religious" without having been raised in a "religious" family or culture has a screw loose. That's a dangerous precedent to establish in court.

...That implies that any adult who becomes "religious" without having been raised in a "religious" family or culture has a screw loose. That's a dangerous precedent to establish in court.
Since Hubby and I grew up in non-religious families, and became Christians in our late 20's, that could include us.

Back