Why revenge is the highest passion: an exercise in dialectics

Ah. I see. Your definition of love is as "undefined" but it serves the purpose, as per your weak triangle analogy? Yet, you are askingg me to define what a successful marriage is... Not an important point, but an amusing one.

You are using the scientific intepretation of what love is. You refer to the biochemical processes occur when we are in love. You are speaking of a physical event that happens when we experience an emotion. I suppose that if you define love in such a manner, your arguement that love lends itself to revenge is sound.

However, a biochemical process is not necessarily love. The sam process occur when we are in lust. They also occur when we are on the Wolf Mountain ride in an amusement park.
Is this biochemical process love? Is a physical process and an emotion the same thing? Is it not possiblee to feel love without initating a physical process? Hence, my agape arguement.

Which leads me to a thought - otp - is spiritual love necessarily christian? Is it not possible for things to exist unseen on a higher plane, disconnected from any observable physical process? You only need to take a quick look at quantum physics to realize that this is not only possible, but real. Reducing my agape arguement to yet another christian belief would be ineffective in this case.

Back to the arguement, You have conflated an emotion and a process to mean the same thing. To use your analogy, the biochemical process is analogus to the chalk used to create the triangle, love. The triangle, it can be argued, exists with or without the chalk. That is another arguement, however, but lets just accept that the triangle is existing. This analogy leads back too my original arguemeent that revenge dooes not spring from love. It comes from somewhere else, strongly linked to passion, which you migght call the bastard cousin of love and hate.

Isn't it possible that this biochemical process, in fact, is only a side effect of love? If you wanted to argue that passion leads to revenge, you would have more of a valid arguement, as passion is more strongly linked with this biochemical process. Passion occurs from love. It also occurs from hate.

What fuels our passions? What are we passionate about? Do not fall in the trap of rejecting a perfectly valid freudian viewpoint simply because it is considered passe. Freud was sorta nuts and a little messed up when it came to sex, but he had a point when he said that we are pleasure seeking creatures, that our id(as part of our ego) play a role the ACTS we perform in our lives. Acts, such as, say, revenge?
You said that revenge fulfills a purpose, so that the sufferer will feel what we felt. Absolutely so. What is it, other than our wounded selves seeking absolution from the wrongs we have suffered. Laugh at the primal soul analogy all you want - our id(ego) has always been there, right in our primal, reptilian brains. Anyone who owns a pet can testify that animals are id (ego) driven. And that includes ourselves, homo sapiens, even with our overgrown cerebellums.

You want to engage in a dialectic arguemrent, but you forgot something very important, that our existencer is completely subjective. How can we argue of love annd revenge in dialectic ters when we can only experience it subjectively?

For instance, you spoke of people who fell madly in love, who are you to say they are experiencing love? We exist subjectively only, remember. They may believe they are in love. But are they? I, however, do agree with you thhat when certain biochemical processes are involved, things happen. But those biochemical processes alone are not evidence of love. Neither does the lack of them indicate the nonexistence of love.

Fairy tales aside, there are desires and passions that reside inside ourselves. Fairy tales do not happen in real life (and do not make the mistake of thinking I belive it does). it however, does not mean when that our subjective selves indulging in those diversions, it brings harm to us, creating false impressions of the reality we are in. After all, reality is only what we create it to be. Cognitive psychology as well as quantum physics have shown that our reality literally is what we make it to be. How, then, can it be false? Why, then, should we not be glad to experince the emotion of love, to try to spreaad it around a bit, to perhaps infect someone else's reality with love?

Oh, and by the way, give me some credit. I don't watch soap operas or read romance novel. Just because I occasionally cry over a b movie does not mean I've bought entirely in the damsel romance paradigm! Tsk tsk. Generalizing on the basis of gender is neither an attractive or valid philosophical arguement. Neither is reducing a transcendental, non physical experience such as love to biochemical processes nor assigning a vallid point about the so-called spiritual aspect of love the valur of a simple christian belief.

He he. This is fun. Hit me with the next hand. baby!

Oh, and just to add. This isn't an important point, but when I said "overgrown cerebellum", I was actually referring to the cerebal cortex. Oops.

And ignore the typos pls. I'm doing all this on my sidekick.

-cady

lust

all of this has been very nice...but,.... you did not mention lust! i have called in dead just to miss a week of work so i could screw a girls brains right out of her pretty little head! i do not think we slept for more than 3 hours befor we started boinking and doinking again. both of us nearly got fired....and we both had a hard time riding our motor cycles for a few days.... but all in all sure she was nice but i would get that upset if she moved away tonight. :cuddle:

as for revenge.. i do not waste a weeks worth of time. if someone verbally threatens me with physical harm , i just beat the hell out of them on the spot,especially if the person is hearing and there are witness's. i just play the "deaf card" if the cops come.....most of the time they dont.

just so i do not give the wrong idea here. i ride and build motorcycles..there for i will meet members of gangs , who just love to make trouble and brag about it later...i just dont let them have the bragging part. :thumb:

once in a while i will get revenge on some one who gives me a bad check or tries to stiff me. but that only takes a short ride to their car and place a sticker over the registration sticker.. and then call the cops saying there were driving like a drunk............ the sticker on the plate gets them in the cop car.. at least for a few hours. :evil:

A colossal waste of time

Cady, it would appear that your reading comprehension needs improvement – you keep attributing foreign things to my OP, despite having asserted contrariwise. :doh:

cady75 said:
Ah. I see. Your definition of love is as "undefined" but it serves the purpose, as per your weak triangle analogy? Yet, you are askingg me to define what a successful marriage is... Not an important point, but an amusing one.
I agree on both counts. It is inconsequential, and also amusing that you were on the verge of a tu quoque fallacy. Had I intentionally defined love from the get-go, I would be begging the question, but this didn’t occur to you.

cady75 said:
You are using the scientific intepretation of what love is.
Wrong! Re-read my OP and my responses to the others on this thread.

cady75 said:
Which leads me to a thought - otp - is spiritual love necessarily christian? Is it not possible for things to exist unseen on a higher plane, disconnected from any observable physical process?
I fail to see how this is distinct from the Christian sense of love whatsoever. Again, you did not qualify what you meant by “agape” so I was within my rights assuming you were referring to the Christian usage. Christianity has been the dominant mode of religion of the West for the past two thousand years, and that dominance has translated to determining the meaning of words, which means the use of words remain largely within the Christian paradigm.

cady75 said:
You only need to take a quick look at quantum physics to realize that this is not only possible, but real. Reducing my agape arguement to yet another christian belief would be ineffective in this case.
Quantum Physics? Please don’t make me laugh. Soon, logicians in the future will create a fallacy category for people who appeal to obscure disciplines in order to substantiate their weak arguments, and your repeated appeals will be exhibit A. ;)

cady75 said:
Back to the arguement, You have conflated an emotion and a process to mean the same thing. To use your analogy, the biochemical process is analogus to the chalk used to create the triangle, love. The triangle, it can be argued, exists with or without the chalk. That is another arguement, however, but lets just accept that the triangle is existing. This analogy leads back too my original arguemeent that revenge dooes not spring from love. It comes from somewhere else, strongly linked to passion, which you migght call the bastard cousin of love and hate.
Au contraire! Passion encompasses far more than the emotions of love and hate, for they are non-representative mental states that cause actions. In other words, those states are impulses. Since passions are byproducts of pain and pleasure, directly or indirectly, then there are direct and indirect passions. Love and hatred are some of the indirect passions.

cady75 said:
Isn't it possible that this biochemical process, in fact, is only a side effect of love? If you wanted to argue that passion leads to revenge, you would have more of a valid arguement, as passion is more strongly linked with this biochemical process. Passion occurs from love. It also occurs from hate.
Sorry, I can’t follow your slipshod reasoning, given that you’re still stuck on the “biochemical” process that I offered incidentally.

cady75 said:
What fuels our passions? What are we passionate about?
Don’t you ever answer your own questions, or ever notice how totally loaded and leading they are?

cady75 said:
Do not fall in the trap of rejecting a perfectly valid freudian viewpoint simply because it is considered passe. Freud was sorta nuts and a little messed up when it came to sex, but he had a point when he said that we are pleasure seeking creatures, that our id(as part of our ego) play a role the ACTS we perform in our lives. Acts, such as, say, revenge?
I haven’t rejected Freud because it’s considered passé, (of course, this is more evidence of your impeccable reading skill) because I have studied him and rival theories of psychology, and come to my own conclusions that some parts of his theory of the psyche were worth retaining, and the rest weren’t.

cady75 said:
Laugh at the primal soul analogy all you want - our id(ego) has always been there, right in our primal, reptilian brains. Anyone who owns a pet can testify that animals are id (ego) driven. And that includes ourselves, homo sapiens, even with our overgrown cerebellums.
Wrong. The ID is not the ego. Apparently, not only you are pushing the discredited part of Freud, you also misconstrue him. Tsk!

cady75 said:
You want to engage in a dialectic arguemrent, but you forgot something very important, that our existencer is completely subjective. How can we argue of love annd revenge in dialectic ters when we can only experience it subjectively?
This is an exaggeration, and a pitiful hand-wave. I haven’t forgotten that our experiences (not existence) is subjective, but that doesn’t mean we are trapped into isolated words, doomed to lonesome existence peering out of our prisons at the traffic passing by, yet unable to understand or comprehend the traffic at all.

While our experiences are private, they are not limited to subjectivity, because of our existence in the objective world where we interact with the environment and other people. Experiences may be private, but we make sense of them through a common language we share with other people, and that is at least a bridge that spans between our private experiences and the public arena. The meaning of words is a social activity, which means our words are used because we agree on their definitions beforehand or during the conversation. That leads to an intersubjective activity where we engage in social behavior when we talk about abstract concepts such as love.

cady75 said:
For instance, you spoke of people who fell madly in love, who are you to say they are experiencing love? We exist subjectively only, remember.
Wrong, very much so. You don’t seem to understand what “subjective” means in this context. I would caution you from throwing around 20 dollar words if you don’t understand what they mean, otherwise you only look like an idiot.

cady75 said:
Fairy tales aside, there are desires and passions that reside inside ourselves. Fairy tales do not happen in real life (and do not make the mistake of thinking I belive it does). it however, does not mean when that our subjective selves indulging in those diversions, it brings harm to us, creating false impressions of the reality we are in. After all, reality is only what we create it to be.
Not quite. Reality does depend on the observer, but that doesn’t mean we are Gods who can re-create reality.

cady75 said:
Cognitive psychology as well as quantum physics have shown that our reality literally is what we make it to be. How, then, can it be false? Why, then, should we not be glad to experince the emotion of love, to try to spreaad it around a bit, to perhaps infect someone else's reality with love?
More psychobabble that belongs next to Dr. Phil’s best selling self-help books. Cognitive psychology is still a fledging discipline, and quantum physics is the physics of the microcosmos – definitely not at our level of reality – so I wouldn’t appeal to them as the arbitrator of “subjectivity.”

cady75 said:
Oh, and by the way, give me some credit. I don't watch soap operas or read romance novel. Just because I occasionally cry over a b movie does not mean I've bought entirely in the damsel romance paradigm! Tsk tsk.
It only means you’ve accepted the “damsel romance paradigm” uncritically. I myself may be moved by melodramatic sentimental stuff as well, but I don’t reside there and take them for granted.

cady75 said:
Generalizing on the basis of gender is neither an attractive or valid philosophical arguement. Neither is reducing a transcendental, non physical experience such as love to biochemical processes nor assigning a vallid point about the so-called spiritual aspect of love the valur of a simple christian belief.
If the shoe fits, gordo, wear it, and deal with it. If you have defined love as a “transcendental and non-physical experience” then we aren’t talking about the same thing at all, and so, this entire exchange has been a priceless example of talking past one another. Please read my responses carefully before you erect skinny strawmen for burning in the future.

Herectic,

I enjoy a good debate and all, but this has turned in a slugfest where you basically insult my intelligence and refuse to concede I might have brought up valid points. There is a difference between debating philosophy and using philosophical gibberish just to win points. Your response to me was the intellectual equivalent of the bully on the block punching you in the nose and saying, "see, I told you're a big crybaby, all you do is cry". You only twist my words to prove what you "knew" all along. It's an old game, and I don't want to play. I have better things to do.

so, take care.

Cady

All the handwaving in the world can't hide the fact you're in over your head - by making routine fallacies and misusing subtle philosophical language, not taking this discussion seriously by typing on a mobile device, and last yet worst of all, resorting to cheap emotional appeals - so don't let the door hit you on your bunghole on your way out.

Next!

I am taking a HUGE risk to dip my toe in this...

I was thinking about this debate during the wee hours last night and I thought up the perfect example for your argument, Heretic--

The Bobbitt family. (the link is for those who don't know the story about the Bobbitt family).

I am wondering if that incident is the perfect case of hated and revenge which camouflauged as "love"?
The premises: Lorena was an angry wife who was irriated by husband John for not giving him the husbandly love (the definition of love was according to Lorena). John was a naive and inconsiderate man who got into this so-called marriage because he thought he loved her. Well, their love apparently never occured because all they both had were hatred and rage (history of domestic abuse between both)... and therefore the revenge had been unleashed and the result was a loss of a certain limb of the offensive party. Was Lorena avenging for her "love" toward John to defend ? Did Lorena experience a brainfart when she expected that John would be more affectionate toward to her?

Just a thought. I thought it was a great example to give the visual and concrete element to the abstract argument of love=hatred + revenge....
Forgive me if I dumb down your post. :(

:gpost:

Actually, Gnarlydorkette, you have contributed to the forum, not dumb it down.

It is always important to actually locate concrete examples of abstract ideas, and that's what you took the time to do. :thumb:

In my studies of emotions, I found Franz Brentano's brand of descriptive psychology interesting, because he explained that emotions like love and hate weren't just mere sensations, 'blind feelings,' or patterns of subjective experience, because they contained an essential structure called "intentionality" which means they are about the world. He also said that emotions themselves weren't "judgments" and examples like fear, hope, dread, love and hatred are truly sophisticated and even enigmatic. The chain-smoking street philosopher of France, Sartre took the brand of descriptive psychology another level by arguing that emotions are purposeful, functional, and in a sense, strategic.

:cheers:

You say that Revenge is the ulimate confession of love. Help me out on this ,why does God not exact revenge upon us if revenge is love itself. But do this mean the Devil love God because hate is a essential part of love? I'm curious to what you think. And please NO FLAMING.

thewinterknight said:
You say that Revenge is the ulimate confession of love. Help me out on this ,why does God not exact revenge upon us if revenge is love itself. But do this mean the Devil love God because hate is a essential part of love? I'm curious to what you think. And please NO FLAMING.
Your questions have far too many assumptions for me to answer adequately.

For instance, you presume a supremely perfect entity is also a personal being who engages in human emotions, and that there is a "devil" who hates God.

My essay explores the dialectic of passions only along human dimensions, not in cloud cuckoo-land.

The answer is simple, you used faulty logic to get your point over. I agree with you that revenge is the highest form of passion but I already heard it in "the Scarlet Letter" nothing new to me sorry.

Argument by assertion never fails to amuse!

What "faulty logic" ? ;) And there's nothing in the scarlett letter that has anything similar to what i wrote, so go back and re-read the book again. :rofl:

Just as Cady before the current soon-to-be-victim, the Heretic lives to suck in poor innocent souls for the sole purpose of running him/her thru the meat grinder.

I’ve always viewed revenge as simply a desirable prosurvivalistic behavior. It would seem to me that revenge served a useful purpose in our evolutionary history. Revenge eliminated people who had tendencies towards predatory behavior from the gene pool.

The Heretic said:
What "faulty logic" ? ;) And there's nothing in the scarlett letter that has anything similar to what i wrote, so go back and re-read the book again. :rofl:

Vengeance, punishment in retribution for injury

In the book the Scarlet Letter, Roger is the revenge-seeker, passionate in his own right. While Artur and Hester represents love, lust and passion. As I'm sure someone of your advanced level can assume to the book's end. Roger exacted venegeance or revenge upon Artur. But despite the fact that you claim that Revenge is the highest form of love, how could Roger love Artur if Artur was tortured mentally and emotionally by Roger.

Now I don't care what you say, I'm ready

Yes, I know, it's faulty but that is the best I can do right now.

:Ohno: *Put on steel armor, draw a broadsword*

BTW, was you laughing at my posts? Tsk, Tsk.

O Sol Mio!!!! O SODOMIAAA....

You seem confused yourself, for your original point was a cheap handwave, an grandfather argument (I've seen it before), and now you're saying that the book does not chime with my dialectical spin. Please make up your mind which argument you are making in your next post.

thewinterknight said:
Vengeance, punishment in retribution for injury
My short essay is about the passions themselves, from whence revenge springs. Hawthorne is a good writer, but he lacks the psychological insights like a Dostoyevski or Stendhal that's required for a great writer.

In the book the Scarlet Letter, Roger is the revenge-seeker, passionate in his own right. While Artur and Hester represents love, lust and passion. As I'm sure someone of your advanced level can assume to the book's end. Roger exacted venegeance or revenge upon Artur. But despite the fact that you claim that Revenge is the highest form of love, how could Roger love Artur if Artur was tortured mentally and emotionally by Roger.
Hawthorne presented a terribly shallow caricature of revenge in Roger Chillingworth, for he is completely lacking in warmth. Even his physical descriptions are forced and contrived, for they paint an ugly man on the outside. Now, my thesis on love and hate and revenge is much more multi-dimensional than Hawthorne's linear narrative that reduces the characters to a symbol of a single passion.

A writer who is crippled by monologic like Tolstoy will submerge all characters to a single perspective where the narrator is godlike and overpowers the characters. Hawthorne, too, falls in this trap, even though he is commended for his attempt to demonstrate that even in sin, pure love is possible.

:afro:

Yes, please don't use such scholarly language as "brainfart".

I hate to admit that I have any Italian in me, but those of us who do know that revenge is a normal everyday part of life....like doing the dishes. No one mentioned the high one gets from a particularly nasty revenge....on the biochemical note, no pharmacist can whiz up anything to rival it.

It's also good for a bit of a societal buzz too...nothing like a good disembowling of a child-molester to make most peoples' day. Or dismembering, haha. Drawing and quartering sounds like fun too; someone should revive that practice.

Revenge may be motivated by love, but it is a sense of responsibility that creates the absolute necessity to perform it. Someone has to handle these things and if you don't believe in gods, big brother or superman to help you out, then perhaps you feel it is your calling to take matters into your own hands.

So, be ready to put someone roughly back into his place if he steps on your toes (or turf) and keep a good set of ball-crackers in the car. Just ask me or Tony Soprano.

Bad arguments are always in fashion!

starcharger said:
on the biochemical note, no pharmacist can whiz up anything to rival it.
BangHead.gif

This is a perfect argumentum ad ignorantiam, and just as false as saying that because astrophysicists cannot re-create a black hole in their high energy acceleration experiments means black holes do not exist. If you are merely saying that something must be false because it hasn't been proved true in experiments, then you're committing a fallacious argument. :roll:

Ha, ha heretic, since I said nothing about anything being false perhaps your own reading comprehension needs a boost. As for picking out something I said to try and derail, you may as well have picked out "is" or "the" because they, like astrophysicists trying to make black holes, have about as much to do with the line you chose as the proverbial price of eggs in china.

I didn't say, nor suggest, that anything was false (your 50 cent cocktail word of the day, one might assume) because it hadn't been proven, that's just your fantasy, not my fallacy.

Nice try, no cigar. Bravo for your verbal diahhrea though (thought you'd like that term—same realm as brainfart).

What a prodigious amount of excrement! Any farmers around?

starbungler said:
Ha, ha heretic, since I said nothing about anything being false perhaps your own reading comprehension needs a boost.

That the master of the run-on sentence fails to understand the implications of his own statements is not my problem.

starbungler said:
As for picking out something I said to try and derail, you may as well have picked out "is" or "the" because they, like astrophysicists trying to make black holes, have about as much to do with the line you chose as the proverbial price of eggs in china.

Ipse dixit, and incorrect.

Whether the pharmacist can or cannot re-create the biochemical process of revenge is irrelevant. Either you were attacking the truth of the biochemical process itself, or you were being superfluous. Hence the qualifier in my previous post... If you are merely saying that something must be false...”

starbungler said:
I didn't say, nor suggest, that anything was false (your 50 cent cocktail word of the day, one might assume) because it hadn't been proven, that's just your fantasy, not my fallacy. Nice try, no cigar. Bravo for your verbal diahhrea though (thought you'd like that term—same realm as brainfart).

Au contraire, it seems that i have paid quite excellent attention to your post. As for the rest of your initial post, it clearly begs the question that revenge is an “absolute necessity,” just because “someone has to handle these things.”

That you dislike the fact your post fail to make your argument remains your error. Kindly address the issue and move on. :zzz:

Back