why not aspire to speak?

Ok then so it is the deaf person's fault for not being able to hear on the phone and not being able to develop oral skills?

Technology is available nowadays so there are ways to accodomate. You seems to hang onto the old traditional ways of communicating.

See, that's my point - you get all riled for nothing - you're implying that I think it's the deaf's fault that they cannot speak. I never said that. It's not just about them, it's also about the society.

I have been using CC decoders when I was a kid, always have interpreters, been in deaf programs most of my educational years, and using TTY and even used operators (when they were only volunteers - they were NOT paid at all; imagine that) then pagers (remember Wyntel), and Sidekick... and video phones... and text messaging and email... please tell me where I am hung unto old ways of communication?

See, that's my point - you get all riled for nothing - you're implying that I think it's the deaf's fault that they cannot speak. I never said that. It's not just about them, it's also about the society.

I have been using CC decoders when I was a kid, always have interpreters, been in deaf programs most of my educational years, and using TTY and even used operators (when they were only volunteers - they were NOT paid at all; imagine that) then pagers (remember Wyntel), and Sidekick... and video phones... and text messaging and email... please tell me where I am hung unto old ways of communication?

Then why havent you answered my first question to you?

I'm offended by the original question. It implies that speech is the be-all-end-all goal and that one who does not speak is inferior. Clearly, no one is saying that it's wrong to aspire to speak. Framing the question in that way makes it a loaded question.

Speech is a goal may not be realistic for some people. Lack of speech does not mean that a person is a failure. Lack of speech does not mean that a person will not succeed in life. Each person defines success according to her own values. It sounds like netrox only values money and prestige. Knock off the arrogance and classism.

No one is saying that it's wrong to aspire to speak. That goal may not be realistic for some people. Lack of speech does not mean that a person is a failure. Lack of speech does not mean that a person will not succeed in life. Each person defines success according to her own values. It sounds like you only value money and prestige. Knock off the arrogance and classism.

Me?

No, Shel. Sorry I wasn't clear. Will try again.

Many deaf people are overlooked for being able to speak? What do you mean?

I was referring to the OP.

How it was said that deaf people was reconized for ASL. And not for speech or other abilities.

Do you pronounce those two the same? I always read "queue" and have no idea how to say it. lol

I'm offended by the original question... Each person defines success according to her own values. It sounds like netrox only values money and prestige. Knock off the arrogance and classism.

I don't mean like you have to be rich to be successful or anything but it's just that I think we're spending too much time acting like we are oppressed and discriminated. I am just tired of hearing deaf people complain over and over about oppression when in fact, they don't have the qualifications. HELLO?!?!

Hearing people talk about that as well. They whine about how they cannot seem to get promoted or get a job they want so badly without realizing that their history, their education, and their networks are often considered when being promoted.

But in reality, society still demands speech as an important skill and I've observed that deaf people who speak well tend to have more opportunities. And we have a moral and ethical obligation to make sure deaf children can learn to speak to their fullest extent despite their lack of hearing.

Just because you don't like math doesn't give you the right to say, "I want math banned." Math is hard and we're gonna make you work as hard as you can. And please, remember, it took 12 years from simple numbers to algebra. It doesn't come easily.

Got a question...something about this statement in bold is bothering me.

Are you implying that if one doesnt speak well, one cant write well?

Or are you implying that culturally Deaf people dont aspire to write well?

Ok, thanks for bringing this post... didn't see them.

1. No. Of course not. I know deaf people who write extremely well and they don't speak at all.

2. no.

Not sure where you got that impression. It's NOT about writing - virtually all deaf people want to write well. I am talking about speaking.

When stem cell come out, all the awards should go to them because they are a picture perfect deaf because they have hearing and can write and speak like a hearing person. CI, HA, Deaf -- nope, they are the AGBell victim from the past so who cares about them anymore because they can't write as well as stem cell guys. look at their beautiful written essay compare to CI people! Yes, we should award them! all because of AGbell made it happen! (being sarcastic)

Ok, thanks for bringing this post... didn't see them.

1. No. Of course not. I know deaf people who write extremely well and they don't speak at all.

2. no.

Not sure where you got that impression. It's NOT about writing - virtually all deaf people want to write well. I am talking about speaking.
Well:

I don't mean like you have to be rich to be successful or anything but it's just that I think we're spending too much time acting like we are oppressed and discriminated. I am just tired of hearing deaf people complain over and over about oppression when in fact, they don't have the qualifications. HELLO?!?!

Hearing people talk about that as well. They whine about how they cannot seem to get promoted or get a job they want so badly without realizing that their history, their education, and their networks are often considered when being promoted.

But in reality, society still demands speech as an important skill and I've observed that deaf people who speak well tend to have more opportunities. And we have a moral and ethical obligation to make sure deaf children can learn to speak to their fullest extent despite their lack of hearing.

Just because you don't like math doesn't give you the right to say, "I want math banned." Math is hard and we're gonna make you work as hard as you can. And please, remember, it took 12 years from simple numbers to algebra. It doesn't come easily.
What's wrong with learning to speak and write well?
What's wrong with having an organization like AGB that rewards deaf people who have great speaking skills despite their deafness?

Deaf organizations always award deaf people based on their ASL skills and their talents but not once did I hear of a contest where deaf people are awarded for their excellent speech skills.

AGB is NOT qualified to make decisions on their signing abilities just as NAD is NOT qualified to make decisions based on their speaking skills.

I'm not sure if you actually wanted an answer to your original question, but maybe you can read the replies to the question in this thread?

If your intent was to share your views, then I see your point.

Back