Why my wife and I want our children to hear and speak a little.

I hope to be an illustrator after i get my degree.

Just a question here....if your daughter is fluent enough in sign to be able to function as a terp, how is it that she is unable to understand a terp in the classroom? That one just doesn't compute.[/QUOTE

What I was trying to say is that she had more of a grasp on sign language then several of the parents of her friends that only sign. Again this is socially, the reason an interpeter is not enough for her in school is because she does not know enough academic sgn language for her to gain full access.
Even I have a better grasp on sign language then several parents that I know. I have actually had to interpeter for a group of my daughter's friends when they went to the prom. I had to explain how the limo was late so their plans had to change. I wanted one of the other parents to sign but they said that my signing was better then theirs.

A lot of people, including my hearing brother-in-law, lost their computer programming jobs 3 years ago after 10+ years. That is not any type of proof that you were discriminated against because of your hearing impairment.

Sheri

They removed a software from my PC which I could use to practice my new computer language when they make the transition to the new system and it looks like I was the only one without that software for a long time. The team leader often forgot to fill me in on what is going on at the meetings. The meetings are less than an hour long and the interpreter service required to be paid in 2+ hours of interpreting so no interpreting for me. The small group that I am in which is part of bigger group, don't included me in the discussion about the development of the old programs into new programs. Now, Sheri, tell me if I have been discriminated against or not.

Just a question here....if your daughter is fluent enough in sign to be able to function as a terp, how is it that she is unable to understand a terp in the classroom? That one just doesn't compute.[/QUOTE

What I was trying to say is that she had more of a grasp on sign language then several of the parents of her friends that only sign. Again this is socially, the reason an interpeter is not enough for her in school is because she does not know enough academic sgn language for her to gain full access.
Even I have a better grasp on sign language then several parents that I know. I have actually had to interpeter for a group of my daughter's friends when they went to the prom. I had to explain how the limo was late so their plans had to change. I wanted one of the other parents to sign but they said that my signing was better then theirs.

Oh, puleeze! You keep changing your story every time you get backed into a corner.

They removed a software from my PC which I could use to practice my new computer language when they make the transition to the new system and it looks like I was the only one without that software for a long time. The team leader often forgot to fill me in on what is going on at the meetings. The meetings are less than an hour long and the interpreter service required to be paid in 2+ hours of interpreting so no interpreting for me. The small group that I am in which is part of bigger group, don't included me in the discussion about the development of the old programs into new programs. Now, Sheri, tell me if I have been discriminated against or not.

Yep, buffalo, you have a discrimination suit. They can not use the excuse that interpreters are paid in 2 hour increments to justify not providing an interpreter. And if you were the only one not provided the software, it would appear to be discrimination, as well.

I hope to be an illustrator after i get my degree.

I admire you. My son has artistic skills, and he always amazed me at some of the drawings and paintings he produced. Illustration, especially, is a specialized talent.

You are so right life is not fair and this is lesson that I try to teach my children that life is not fair and we have to learn to live in the life we have and the community we live int.

You have to do that by modeling responsible behavior and taking personal responsibility for the decisions you have made and continue to make. Otherwise they get the message that every one is picking on them, and the whole world is responsible for taking care of them.

This is why we need to look into more VRI capability - this way there is no TWO hour minimum. Once technology catches up then those interpreting agencies will need to step up to the plate and try be more servicable and provide better services. But the biggest challenge is - getting the organization to invest in the technology to provide you VRI.

And yes you were discriminated but did you also voice this to your superior or lead? In a previous software development company I worked for - we did our interface via IM which was GREAT. Try to offer solutions and see if they will be accepting to it. You never know.

Back