Why/how is deafness a fad?!

Well I dont think its that bad I use to think being deaf looked fun and cool and just a few months ago I woke up almost all deaf for no reason but it just shows you that somethings that look fun and cool end up being harder than they looked

Well I dont think its that bad I use to think being deaf looked fun and cool and just a few months ago I woke up almost all deaf for no reason but it just shows you that somethings that look fun and cool end up being harder than they looked

:squint:

is your last name, Aynada Pizaqivck ?

or Varkenjaab ?

I understand the first comment made about the "fad" I've been accused of it as well. However, I was never really exposed to the deaf culture until I started working in sales and had to sell 3 TV'S to a deaf couple who ran a camp for deaf children through their hearing son that was 8 yrs old. Shortly after one of the girls at work gave birth to a deaf son and a bunch of us began learning it for him. I don't think it's "cool" or "fun" but I do find it interesting and helpful to be able to converse with everyone I come into contact with. Same reason I've learned Spanish and Hebrew, it's what I encounter and want to be able to learn from every single person I become familiar with.

Hopefully, it would put Deaf Culture in a better light. If it would help me meet people who can give me a good deal on bike or snowblower, so be for it. I would not care if a person has negative perspective about deaf people---especially if he/she sold me a bike for $50, and then I sell it for $125. I just think of all great deals I get from others regardless of what they think of deaf people in general.

I don't think you should discount the visual appeal of sign itself. In the sign language study group at our church there are three 13 year old girls following along because they like what they've seen of sign. The only deaf person they know is the fifty year old deaf woman who has just started to come to church, so it's not a boy crazy thing. They are just young and a little gushy, but sweet. I realize it's not an abstract art form with no connection to a people and culture, but I am fifty, not 13. I figure it's as good a hook as any to try to give them a broader perspective, and I agree that the new popularity of all things deaf/Deaf can be put to good use as a chance to educate.

There are probably as many reasons people seem to be attracted to deaf 'stuff' as there are people, because there's all kinds and sorts of people, including a lot of silly girls. I was one very silly girl in my teens. I didn't learn sign language for a 'fad,' but I did have a crush on a very cute deaf boy. The deafness didn't mean anything to me one way or the other (which, I realized years later, was also part of my self centered immaturity, because I am sure it was an integral part of who he was, but I didn't care who any of the boys I flirted with really were. I only cared that they were cute). Being able to sign, I thought, would give me an edge over the other girls. I'd learned enough Spanish to impress my previous Mexican boyfriend. I'd feigned interest in things I had no interest in to get the attention of other cute boys. I'm not proud of that, but I was a teen whose dad was terribly abusive and I was pretty much a bottomless pit of need. I am not saying all of the girls who gush over deaf culture are like I was, but I am sure some of them are.

As for cultural appropriation, nobody gets a copyright on culture. Every culture appropriates from others. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

Well the thing is....it's like the people who are into it are into it the way folks who are really into anime and Japanese culture are into it........it's SO fReAkInG tReNdY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deafdyke, again i break it to you you are seein things but you dont understand what you see, i mean you make some observations, but its not substantial, there is a special saying, "there is more to it than meets the eye", WE know the experiences of what's it like to be Deaf or deaf or as I'd call it d/Deaf....we also know what shapes are oppositional views taking in regard to d/Deaf matters....but to describe isn't enough, you need to really think about choosing ONE particular phenomenon which are repeatative (that will make it easier to proof or argue in the thesis-thinking) and stick with it, find out what other REAL-LIFE academics had to say about it, if fails, keep trying, and keep building it up....it is MUCH MUCH harder than making 'observations' which you do....trust me,,, its a a vastly different set of ball-game rules (figuratively speaking)...

Deafness is not a fad, it's oralism as a fad that is dying. Oralism is so yesterday, making deafness with SL look hotter than ever.

Deafness is not a fad, it's oralism as a fad that is dying. Oralism is so yesterday, making deafness with SL look hotter than ever.

maybe it is that the CI fad is dying,,, but in a ironic way oralism is back with vengence

In all the CI implanted children.
I imagine that those kids have better access to ASL than before, thorugh what some here call an ASL fad(media exposure, academic interests, baby signing), that I interpret as the slow death of oralism.

Not trying to convince you that I'm right, just trying to challenge the idea that what we see now just is a fad.

Also, if we interpret the increased interest in ASL as a fad, the changes are that we will wait for it to go away again, instead of act like it will grow and grow. Somethimes the actions decide what happens? Act like it's a fad, and it will become a fad?

I think the biggest thing that turned me on to deaf culture was (when i was little) I used to LOVE things that conquered their surroundings. I LOVED learning new things and I LOVED expression without words (which is only available in music to me and sign language). Not trying to offend but the deaf culture seems to fulfil all three requirments. I'm a guy though but I love watching people and understanding them (almost to the point of entertainment). I used to be able to tell when anyone lied to or cheated me. I could read people and deaf people seemed to be able to read body language the same as I could. I didn't have any deaf friends growing up, but it was kind of something I could relate to at the moment.
Teenagers seem to want to follow Hollywood for some reason. Hollywood is into making money. Money is made by appealing to the general population. The general population is generally interested in the taboo. Deaf people are more taboo than they realize (to the hearing world) so when a show forces it's audience to explore a new world and it's taboos, the audiece feels inclined to keep watching. (although, I've never seen switched at birth. I HATE TV.)

I imagine that those kids have better access to ASL than before, thorugh what some here call an ASL fad(media exposure, academic interests, baby signing), that I interpret as the slow death of oralism.

Not trying to convince you that I'm right, just trying to challenge the idea that what we see now just is a fad.

Also, if we interpret the increased interest in ASL as a fad, the changes are that we will wait for it to go away again, instead of act like it will grow and grow. Somethimes the actions decide what happens? Act like it's a fad, and it will become a fad?

its a scam, a bullshit, its really about 'being modern' about 'deaf problems', they use it to 'prove' (read doctored) CI is prefered over ASL, ...
it will Never be a slow death of Oralism, that would Never happen, they would not allow it..ASL isnt being used as Language , to them it is used as a 'teaching aid' no small fucking wonder Teachers of the Deaf, including (well especially Deaf ones) are poorly paid and is USED as cheap labour to 'help band aid, make sure kids learn (and hearing teachers/parents/schools/education boards hope the kid learn 'concepts' and thus connect with 'words they hear" .. in a sense ASL is use to 'prevent learning lag' but CI is their ultimate goal.....

SO having said all this above, OFC oralism is BACk Bigtime, CI is more rampant, they have forgone using Deaf advisors/teachers to suggest CI, the powers have shifted from School/education dept/institions to Health/medical institutions which by it is the DOCTORS.surgeons who now have the power.....and with this Medicine is 'treated' like GODs in society, so no small fucking wonder CI is taking over, you cant argue oralism is 'dead' no way, because if that is really so, they CI would not even be used due to extremely high costs (and thus LOSSES)....so no, think about it......

ORALISM IS back BIG TIME, it is NOT debatable period, however what is Debatable are how successful it is, this area is actually endless....

Punctuation...look into it.

Do you mean the private oral schools dying? Yes, the private oral schools are dying as SCHOOLS (meaning PK- 8) but that's b/c the oral kids are either being better served by public oral programs or they're transferring to their State Deaf School, rather then transferring to Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's. But oralism is alive and well :(

its a scam, a bullshit, its really about 'being modern' about 'deaf problems', they use it to 'prove' (read doctored) CI is prefered over ASL, ...
it will Never be a slow death of Oralism, that would Never happen, they would not allow it..ASL isnt being used as Language , to them it is used as a 'teaching aid' no small fucking wonder Teachers of the Deaf, including (well especially Deaf ones) are poorly paid and is USED as cheap labour to 'help band aid, make sure kids learn (and hearing teachers/parents/schools/education boards hope the kid learn 'concepts' and thus connect with 'words they hear" .. in a sense ASL is use to 'prevent learning lag' but CI is their ultimate goal.....

SO having said all this above, OFC oralism is BACk Bigtime, CI is more rampant, they have forgone using Deaf advisors/teachers to suggest CI, the powers have shifted from School/education dept/institions to Health/medical institutions which by it is the DOCTORS.surgeons who now have the power.....and with this Medicine is 'treated' like GODs in society, so no small fucking wonder CI is taking over, you cant argue oralism is 'dead' no way, because if that is really so, they CI would not even be used due to extremely high costs (and thus LOSSES)....so no, think about it......

ORALISM IS back BIG TIME, it is NOT debatable period, however what is Debatable are how successful it is, this area is actually endless....
I can't disagree with what you describe, this is indeed true in denmark and Netherlands. But other countries fare a bit better, from what I've seen. Sweden, Brazil, Japan, Uganda are places that isn't that bad I think. And I believe the harder oralism hit deaf kids, the harder they will hit back when they grow up. Good news for the deaf militia? :)

Do you mean the private oral schools dying? Yes, the private oral schools are dying as SCHOOLS (meaning PK- 8) but that's b/c the oral kids are either being better served by public oral programs or they're transferring to their State Deaf School, rather then transferring to Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's. But oralism is alive and well :(
Don't forget mainstream programs with asl or charter schools that are on the rise? Don't know the American deaf ed system, so curious if you are saying that students are transferred from state deaf schools to schools like Clarke? Clarke still alive?

Back