Why/how is deafness a fad?!

Lily7

Reaction score
I've noticed quite a few posts referring to how a lot of hearing people (mainly young females from what I understand) have interest in the deaf and come here and post because of a trend, a fad, etc.

What I want to know is, WHY is it a fad? How does that work? What is the psychology behind that?I mean really. I seriously don't get it. Don't get me wrong, Deaf culture is beautiful... but I don't get why it would be idealized in that manner. If I wasn't deaf myself, I probably wouldn't idealize it like that.

I suppose all we can do is speculate, but I am especially interested in the opinion of those of you who are well established on AD and would have a good idea of what's going on.

Hmmm.

:hmm:

I also forgot to add, when I was a kid I had a hearing friend, who thought I was the coolest thing since sliced bread because of my deafness. She made herself an auditory trainer out of a juice box, yarn and cotton balls so she could be just like me, lol. I was really flattered at the time, and even now when I think back on it, it makes me smile. But it's different when you're a kid, it's OK to idealize, pretend and get all excited and be obsessed,... when a kid does it, it's just a way of trying to understand and wrap a kid-sized brain around the concept. I get that. When anyone over the age of 13 does it, it's just weird.

Probably a question in Sociology-" alleged oppression by hearing people". Unconscious?

For me, it isn't just some fad that led me to be interested in deaf culture. My best friend that I met about a year and a half ago is deaf and after being around him and his other deaf friends, I just started picking things up about deaf culture. I'm around deaf people so much now that my hearing friends have commented on me using signs and gesturing more with my hands when I talk.

What I have noticed with other hearing people (especially young girls, like 16 years old or so) when they are around my deaf friends is that they think it's "cool" or whatever, but then they get frustrated when they have to repeat things or they'll start giggling when a deaf person misunderstands them and then they'll say nevermind. I find this really rude and disrespectful. I see myself being friends with my best friend my whole life, so why shouldn't I learn about his deaf culture? It's the people who are only in it for the novelty that annoy me. What do you think?

I have noticed that since they started airing Switched at Birth, we've gotten quite a few people who suddenly became interested in deafness.

same thing girl use teacup chihuahua as accessory in big pink purse. they not care about learn asl or deaf culture, they just think cool have deaf boyfriend in their arm. "hey! look me! i have deaf boyfriend!" so stupid. look emmett from switch at birth, he have many hearing girl fan.

I have been accused of being interested in deaf culture because it's a "fad", which is not true, at least in my case. I have a love for languages and cultures in general and ASL/deaf culture is no exception. I have a deaf cousin and a deaf friend and I love signing with them; we share a special bond that we wouldn't have without signing. I don't idealize it, I just hate that most hearing people think hearing is superior to deafness. I believe there's nothing wrong with being deaf and that the language and culture is beautiful.

As the above suggests-Stephaniep21#9- hard to generalize to any group-16 year girls etc re use of ASL/deaf culture as a "fad". Actually knowing someone "deaf" does offer "opportunities to learn".

I have noticed that since they started airing Switched at Birth, we've gotten quite a few people who suddenly became interested in deafness.

The same thing happened when they first showed Children of a Lesser God. I would call it a fad, but it doesn't bother me. Why should it?

That WOULD explain a lot. I didn't really think about that.

I don't mind hearing people becoming interested in deaf issues and culture, for the record. What bothers me is when it's a fad - in other words, they only become interested in it for a time then move on without investing anything "real" into it. THAT is what I don't understand. How is that in their minds, deafness is "cool" or "trendy"?

The Native Americans kind of deal with this a lot. There is a ton of cultural appropriation going on that is really disrespectful to their culture, and several of them hate it. There is a blog I follow, the name of it is "my culture is not a trend" on this very subject - what an apt name for this issue of deafness as a fad, too.

Anyway the issue that Native Americans have, if I understand correctly, is that they were oppressed by white people for so long, and had so much of their culture stamped out, taken away, or even made illegal, and were forced to become "more like white man". Now after all that has gone on, white man is starting to see Native American things as trendy, wearing Native American themed clothing, decorating their houses, giving themselves fake Native names, dressing up as a Native for halloween, even trying to take on the Native religion for themselves... the list goes on and on... and the Native Americans do not appreciate it because it is unfair (not to mention stupid). They are just being used and abused all over again. Which is totally understandable.

It's not just about the fact that people who do not belong to their culture are using their culture to improve their own, but that those same people at one point in the past persecuted them for the very things they are now idealizing.

I can't help but think that a very similar thing is going on with Deaf culture. And it's made worse that when it happens, it's only temporary, so then we feel they simply used us rather than actually educating themselves and others and learning about us with the goal of respecting us and our culture.

nah its just trendy to be 'cool' and 'understanding' all in a abit like putting on a make-up on their personality to make them look nice and 'interesting' duh

I still feel that SAB is an excellent exposure to the deaf community and it makes the world curious to look at our culture, our rights, and ability to do anything. Like the last episode, I'm glad the cop thing was brought up. It'll bring awareness to the police departments on how to treat us.

If you feel like it's just a "fad" then keep it trendy, it'll help with our exposure. To get out there and educate them on our rights, ADA, and such. I'm keeping it positive... Don't put people down just because they got interested by seeing the show. Get them interested into our culture and rights! It could be a revolution! Then we could get a deaf president! The list goes on!

At the same time, if people want to use our culture to make their own better. World adapts, time changes everything. We take a lot of ideas from other cultures. I used to date a Jewish person and liked some of his ideas so I'm applying it to my life as well to improve myself. Sometimes we just gotta accept that it's the way life is.

I still feel that SAB is an excellent exposure to the deaf community and it makes the world curious to look at our culture, our rights, and ability to do anything. Like the last episode, I'm glad the cop thing was brought up. It'll bring awareness to the police departments on how to treat us.

If you feel like it's just a "fad" then keep it trendy, it'll help with our exposure. To get out there and educate them on our rights, ADA, and such. I'm keeping it positive... Don't put people down just because they got interested by seeing the show. Get them interested into our culture and rights! It could be a revolution! Then we could get a deaf president! The list goes on!

At the same time, if people want to use our culture to make their own better. World adapts, time changes everything. We take a lot of ideas from other cultures. I used to date a Jewish person and liked some of his ideas so I'm applying it to my life as well to improve myself. Sometimes we just gotta accept that it's the way life is.

True. Very wise words. :)

I remember one girl at the About.com forum who was all " omg ASL and Deaf culture is SO much fun and I wanna be an interprerter and I'll do it for free b/c u no ASL and Deaf culture IS SO cool and tReNdY!

I remember one girl at the About.com forum who was all " omg ASL and Deaf culture is SO much fun and I wanna be an interprerter and I'll do it for free b/c u no ASL and Deaf culture IS SO cool and tReNdY!

:lol: Only one?

That WOULD explain a lot. I didn't really think about that.

I don't mind hearing people becoming interested in deaf issues and culture, for the record. What bothers me is when it's a fad - in other words, they only become interested in it for a time then move on without investing anything "real" into it. THAT is what I don't understand. How is that in their minds, deafness is "cool" or "trendy"?

The Native Americans kind of deal with this a lot. There is a ton of cultural appropriation going on that is really disrespectful to their culture, and several of them hate it. There is a blog I follow, the name of it is "my culture is not a trend" on this very subject - what an apt name for this issue of deafness as a fad, too.

Anyway the issue that Native Americans have, if I understand correctly, is that they were oppressed by white people for so long, and had so much of their culture stamped out, taken away, or even made illegal, and were forced to become "more like white man". Now after all that has gone on, white man is starting to see Native American things as trendy, wearing Native American themed clothing, decorating their houses, giving themselves fake Native names, dressing up as a Native for halloween, even trying to take on the Native religion for themselves... the list goes on and on... and the Native Americans do not appreciate it because it is unfair (not to mention stupid). They are just being used and abused all over again. Which is totally understandable.

It's not just about the fact that people who do not belong to their culture are using their culture to improve their own, but that those same people at one point in the past persecuted them for the very things they are now idealizing.

I can't help but think that a very similar thing is going on with Deaf culture. And it's made worse that when it happens, it's only temporary, so then we feel they simply used us rather than actually educating themselves and others and learning about us with the goal of respecting us and our culture.

My dad's friend has the same rant about the yuppies thinking the Harley Davidson culture as being cool and start buying the motorcyles. In the 70s, he and his friends were discriminated against because of their tatoos and leather clothes and now, it is a cool thing. He expressed his disain for those who put in requests to join the Harley Davidson clubs just to look "cool" to their friends and co-workers.

I think a lot of girls like guys (and guys like girls) that give them a sense of "adventure". Deaf people aren't the same as hearing people (obviously) and have a whole different culture and language, so people see that as cool and want to experience it for themselves. Of course, a lot of the time they find out it's harder to learn ASL than they thought, or the culture is more complex, and sometimes, that they can't go in and be the savior. Some people are in it for the gratification that comes with helping the "less fortunate", and they come into the Deaf world with all their tips and instructions and inventions and opinions that they think are necessary, or even revolutionary, that the "poor deafies" didn't (or couldn't) think of themselves. They want people to look up to them, and praise them for their innovation.

Then they figure out that it's not just guiding people to the light, or cakewalk to learn ASL and the ins and outs of the Deaf Culture, and they're like "ok, f*** this s***".

Basically, it's trendy 'cause it's new (to them) and different.

Well, I was going to post something wise and entertaining here... but StevieMont said my wise ideas already. LOL

I think a lot of people DO go into learning ASL (Or other languages as well) because they want to make a difference... sometimes in a good way (bridging gaps between hearing and deaf, championing deaf rights, etc.) and sometimes in a omg-you-are-a-creepy-freaky-scary-person kinda way (wanting to be a deaf person's voice, wanting someone to depend on them, wanting to be a savior, etc.). Cultures are always fun to learn about, and everyone things whatever is different is exciting... but then they realize work is involved, and run in fear. LOL

That is just my thoughts... which could be right or could be completely off-base. Who knows? lol

Back