why everyone thinks gallaudet is an ivy league?

matajan

Reaction score
of about 10,000 applicants applied to gallaudet, 300 incoming freshmen were accepted every year. According to gallaudet, they said most students apply to gallaudet is like only one apply to this school, some other apply to different college.

Why did most deaf students apply to this school only, not ivy league or prestigious university if they are in high gpa and act/sat or top student?

how did gallaudet can be ivy league?

k54nm9.jpg

243knqq.jpg

of about 10,000 applicants applied to gallaudet, 300 incoming freshmen were accepted every year. According to gallaudet, they said most students apply to gallaudet is like only one apply to this school, some other apply to different college.

Why did most deaf students apply to this school only, not ivy league or prestigious university if they are in high gpa and act/sat or top student?

Gallaudet University is not an Ivy League. not even close.

Gallaudet University is not an Ivy League. not even close.
It may not be Harvard's by many people's standards but I have often heard it called the "Havard of the Deaf" but to me it's something more than that. It's the center and heart of the Deaf Culture. In many ways it's like Mecca.

I should note here that being a TOD in the Deaf culture is a much more prestigious job in the Deaf culture than being a teacher in the hearing culture. Deaf and hearing do not always see eye to eye on stuff.

It may not be Harvard's by many people's standards but I have often heard it called the "Havard of the Deaf" but to me it's something more than that. It's the center and heart of the Deaf Culture. In many ways it's like Mecca.

I should note here that being a TOD in the Deaf culture is a much more prestigious job in the Deaf culture than being a teacher in the hearing culture. Deaf and hearing do not always see eye to eye on stuff.[/QUOTE]

Hence the cultural differences....

I should note here that being a TOD in the Deaf culture is a much more prestigious job in the Deaf culture than being a teacher in the hearing culture. Deaf and hearing do not always see eye to eye on stuff.

people's standard? both hearie and deafie are equally same to my eyes.

Undergraduate Degree from Harvard doesn't make you any more special than Gally student with same undergraduate degree. It doesn't impress me anyway.

It's the college's graduate program that sets itself apart from others.

Gallaudet is not an Ivy League school:

List of Ivy League Colleges
By John Lindell, eHow Contributor
updated: July 28, 2010

The term "Ivy League colleges" refers to a group of eight institutions located in the northeastern portion of the United States that have high academic standards and are members of the same athletic conference. Sportswriters coined the nickname in the 1930s, when these schools were battling for football supremacy. Many of the older buildings on the grounds of these schools were and still are covered with ivy vines, which helped inspire the term.

Yale and Harvard
1. Located in New Haven, Connecticut, Yale University was founded in 1701. The school maintains a major rivalry in all sports, particularly football and rowing, with Harvard University. Harvard is located in Boston, Massachusetts, and was founded in 1636, making it the oldest of the Ivy League colleges.

Dartmouth
2. Dartmouth College is in Hanover, New Hampshire, and was founded in 1769 with an original goal of educating Native Americans. The school has 39 academic departments and such majors as history, biology, government and economics.

Brown
3. Originally founded as the College of Rhode Island in 1764, Brown University, in Providence, Rhode Island, is among the oldest colleges in the nation.

New York Schools
4. Columbia University, in New York, New York, was founded as King's College in 1754 by the Church of England. Cornell, the westernmost Ivy League school, is also the youngest, founded in 1865. The school, located in Ithaca, New York, is the leading producer of doctors in the U.S.

Princeton
5. Princeton, New Jersey, is home to Princeton University, founded in 1746. Princeton is one of the very few colonial colleges that at the time of its establishment had no association with any particular religion.

Penn
6. The University of Pennsylvania was founded in 1740 by Ben Franklin. The campus is in Philadelphia, and Penn is recognized for its schools of law and of business.
List of Ivy League Colleges | eHow.com

A college does NOT have to be "Ivy League" to be an outstanding college.

I went there. And I can tell you they are no where near the "Ivy League" type. LOL. Though I'm pretty sure there are few ivy vines growing on the library building.

I went there. And I can tell you they are no where near the "Ivy League" type. LOL. Though I'm pretty sure there are few ivy vines growing on the library building.

And I suppose those ivy vines are in a league of their own....:lol:

Gally got nothing that the Ivy league college have.

Gally alumni = 10 years experience as computer programmer or lawyer
Harvard alumni = 2 years experience as computer programmer or lawyer

Which one do you think the major company will hire for the position of computer programmer or lawyer? Harvard alumni, of course!

people's standard? both hearie and deafie are equally same to my eyes.

Undergraduate Degree from Harvard doesn't make you any more special than Gally student with same undergraduate degree. It doesn't impress me anyway.

It's the college's graduate program that sets itself apart from others.

I wasn't just referring to the Academic stuff. I'm afraid you have missed the point. Some of the Gally students have the option to attend the other local colleges for courses that challenge them more than what Galluget has to offer - for example George Washington University.

I have heard of one Deaf guy who got accepted to Havard but he opted to go to Gally instead; I remember my dismay that he went to Gally instead but now that I'm older I can see why he'd do that. It has something that Havard can not offer other deaf students; a Deaf community. To many deaf; this is where they belong.

Which one do you think the major company will hire for the position of computer programmer or lawyer? Harvard alumni, of course!

Harvard ! how come?

I have Ivy on my house...... I better start designing a Crest and buying some blazers.

I don't find your information very reliable. Gallaudet University have its own requirements.

Gallaudet does not get 10k applicants per year. You need to provide well-detailed information then we can share our opinion/feedbacks and such.:hmm:

I wasn't just referring to the Academic stuff. I'm afraid you have missed the point. Some of the Gally students have the option to attend the other local colleges for courses that challenge them more than what Galluget has to offer - for example George Washington University.

I have heard of one Deaf guy who got accepted to Havard but he opted to go to Gally instead; I remember my dismay that he went to Gally instead but now that I'm older I can see why he'd do that. It has something that Havard can not offer other deaf students; a Deaf community. To many deaf; this is where they belong.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-education/80758-what-homework-like-gally.html#post1634419

Gally for programmer.
Harvard for lawyer.

huh..... how would you know what Ivy League is like? You've never attended one.

Back