Why do they make Deaf students spend their first three years at college taking no ..

I think that was what I was trying to ask to begin with. Are deaf kids automatically routed to a more classes? But, if they are tested the same as everyone else, then I understand extra literacy classes. Literacy is a problem for most students because our schools are somehow failing there.

For years kids were passed just to get rid of them. How do you get to your senior year without literacy? It should have been dealt with in the younger grades. But flunking kids as a standard policy could be bad too. I think that some of the fault lies with the student when they are not dedicated, but some lies with the teachers and the methods. I really can't imagine trying to teach in schools today in the inner cities and poverty stricken areas. There are so many discipline problems and lack of funding issues. I don't know how they expect teachers to be able to teach. It might be real easy to lose your passion for teaching because of the wages, and cut backs and all the testing. A lot of things need to be revamped.

To answer the question, only when you are dealing with an advisor who is woefully uninformed and ignorant.

The reason, too may times that the issues are not addressed in grammar school is the same reason that an advisor would reccommend across the board that deaf students not register for a full time schedule. Lowered expectations. Likewise, in the elementary and secondary schools, too many parents allow "modified curriculum" to be written into the IEP. That means they can pass a deaf student by not providing services necessary to allow that deaf student to access the same curriculum that a hearing child has access to. In other words, dumb down the curriculum and expect less instead of providing the services necessary to allow a student to achieve. Its cheaper for the school system.

Do you know sign language?

I do. I sign PSE, not ASL, and I because I don't use it that much I need some oral 'terping as well. Fighting with the AC right now because they are saying it is impossible to find me a PSE terp that will do oral as well. If they can find me an ASL terp I can tell them to sign in English word order, and to mouth the words as well. It's not that hard and any terp who speaks English and is half competant can do it. Other Universities in Toronto that I applied to told me that they could find me terps but U of T is insistant that they cannot. If push comes to shove I will talk with Ontario Interpreting Services myself and get them to talk to the AC.

The counsellor I spoke with seems to think that all I need is my FM, and preferential seating (even though I have NO speech discrim...yes my FM will help me a lot when I can't understand speech...SHEESH!)

Anyway...hahaha

I do. I sign PSE, not ASL, and I because I don't use it that much I need some oral 'terping as well. Fighting with the AC right now because they are saying it is impossible to find me a PSE terp that will do oral as well. If they can find me an ASL terp I can tell them to sign in English word order, and to mouth the words as well. It's not that hard and any terp who speaks English and is half competant can do it. Other Universities in Toronto that I applied to told me that they could find me terps but U of T is insistant that they cannot. If push comes to shove I will talk with Ontario Interpreting Services myself and get them to talk to the AC.

The counsellor I spoke with seems to think that all I need is my FM, and preferential seating (even though I have NO speech discrim...yes my FM will help me a lot when I can't understand speech...SHEESH!)

Anyway...hahaha

Tell your advisor that she is just being silly, and to get serious about this. A PSE terp that also does oral terping is not difficult to find at all.

NCLB reduces funding for schools based on lower test scores, or failure to make imporvement in test scores. Funding can be reduced to the point that it is necessary to close schools. Likewise, the schools most in need of funding (i.e. those with large numbers of students covered under I.E.P.s or inner city urban schools with large minority populations without updated textbooks and little technology) are the very schools that are loosing funding. Rather than improving the environment through funding necessary to offer the advantages to underpriviledged students that students in wealthy suburban schools provide, they further impede the ability of the disadvantaged schools to provide qualtiy education for their students. NCLB is the single most negative impact our educational system has endured for decades.

and how retarded that concept is? Schools with a huge population of students who have been identified coming from lower socioeconomic status, coming from homes where other languages are spoken, immigrants, or students with special needs are being punished by recieving less funding which they desperately need while the schools who have students who come from suburban, upper-class, and advantaged lives get more funding?? Bush must have been smoking crack when he approved of this bill.

I don't think it's fair that deaf students graduate with a 4th grade reading level because that means they have to pay for their education that should have been taught in school.

and how retarded that concept is? Schools with a huge population of students who have been identified coming from lower socioeconomic status, coming from homes where other languages are spoken, immigrants, or students with special needs are being punished by recieving less funding which they desperately need while the schools who have students who come from suburban, upper-class, and advantaged lives get more funding?? Bush must have been smoking crack when he approved of this bill.

**nodding** Put down the crack pipe, George!:giggle:

I don't think it's fair that deaf students graduate with a 4th grade reading level because that means they have to pay for their education that should have been taught in school.

and I dont think it is fair to deny full language access to deaf babies and toddlers for the sake of oralism causing them to start kindergarten with little or no language.

Try being a teacher and try teaching kids who have no concept of their own names to read and write . Language development needs to happen before they can read and write. If their language development finally develops to the point where they are ready to read and write at the age of 9 years old, then they will be delayed for sure unless they catch up 5 lost years in one year. If u or others think that is so easy, try being a teacher for a year.

THis is silly of me to reply, but I think he would need English to read the closed captions? What is your hearing status, please?

Hey, I totally agree that they would need english skills for most stuff. I was really just wondering if it was standard procedure to make them redo all of the stuff or just literacy training? And I was thinking that lots of folks can learn some subjects through sign lanuage if they are interested in it, and if someone knowledgeable was signing the info for them. ???? I don't know,, I just like to ask stupid questions, I guess. :)

and I dont think it is fair to deny full language access to deaf babies and toddlers for the sake of oralism causing them to start kindergarten with little or no language.

Try being a teacher and try teaching kids who have no concept of their own names to read and write . Language development needs to happen before they can read and write. If their language development finally develops to the point where they are ready to read and write at the age of 9 years old, then they will be delayed for sure unless they catch up 5 lost years in one year. If u or others think that is so easy, try being a teacher for a year.

Girl, you hit the nail right on the head, and ya know, that should be one of the laws that gets passed. Another one should be to put Deaf history into the history books.

Aren't there plenty of studies to show that the lack of sign in the early years is totally detrimental to all forms of development? How in the world do hearing parents communicate with their own kids? I don't get it!!!!! I am beginning to hate the oralists. Forgive me God, I don't believe in hate, but it harms the innocent.

Girl, you hit the nail right on the head, and ya know, that should be one of the laws that gets passed. Another one should be to put Deaf history into the history books.

Aren't there plenty of studies to show that the lack of sign in the early years is totally detrimental to all forms of development? How in the world do hearing parents communicate with their own kids? I don't get it!!!!! I am beginning to hate the oralists. Forgive me God, I don't believe in hate, but it harms the innocent.

I wish I had the answer. My brother is completely and solely dependent on ASL for communication in the air. He has little oral skills but they are of no use to hearing people but my parents never learned. They relied on me to interpret between him and everyone in my family even as a child.

I wish I had the answer. My brother is completely and solely dependent on ASL for communication in the air. He has little oral skills but they are of no use to hearing people but my parents never learned. They relied on me to interpret between him and everyone in my family even as a child.

I know I offended some people when I suggested trying to put ASL in every school from preschool on up, but I really believe it would be a good thing. No deaf child would ever again be without a base of communication, and hearing children would think it was normal to communicate with the deaf.

I know I offended some people when I suggested trying to put ASL in every school from preschool on up, but I really believe it would be a good thing. No deaf child would ever again be without a base of communication, and hearing children would think it was normal to communicate with the deaf.

If it offends some poeple, OH WELL! I think it would be great! It would also open up more job opportunities for deaf people to work as teachers or aides in the public schools.

I am deaf, mainstreamed, and in my last year of highschool. I have a good average (90%) in university prep classes. I was accepted to all schools that I applied to, I finally chose one (University of Toronto) and when I went to meet with the Access Centre the access counsellor that I spoke with was insistant that I not go full time for my first year. I am meeting her again on Friday and though I may not go full time for the first year it won't be because I am deaf. There are other reasons for me, but I was a little offended when she said she cautions her deaf students against full time studies.
She was cautious? You should go for it as full-time. If you go part-time, you might become lazy or it might be harder to go full-time.

If we were to put ASL in every school from preschool and up, then we would have to put Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, etc... in every school as well. ASL, like every other language, should be something that's optional and offered in high school like most schools. If there is a junior high school that also offers foreign language, then ASL can be added to that curriculum as well.

I am deaf, mainstreamed, and in my last year of highschool. I have a good average (90%) in university prep classes. I was accepted to all schools that I applied to, I finally chose one (University of Toronto) and when I went to meet with the Access Centre the access counsellor that I spoke with was insistant that I not go full time for my first year. I am meeting her again on Friday and though I may not go full time for the first year it won't be because I am deaf. There are other reasons for me, but I was a little offended when she said she cautions her deaf students against full time studies.

In my book, that is not acceptable for a counselor to make this kind of generalization. She needs to find another career!

If we were to put ASL in every school from preschool and up, then we would have to put Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, etc... in every school as well. ASL, like every other language, should be something that's optional and offered in high school like most schools. If there is a junior high school that also offers foreign language, then ASL can be added to that curriculum as well.

Maybe Spanish since it is the 2nd most commonly used language in this country followed by ASL.

why would we have to do that? You see, those are foriegn languages. ASL is AMERICAN sign language. It should be offered at as early an age as possible. The kids who have siblings or other famly members that are autistic or deaf or have speech impairments, as well as Down Syndrome sufferers etc. would all benefit from a visual language. Foreign languages are just more spoken languages. A visual language is in a category all of its own.

My kids actually attended a school here is Salem where they were taught half in spanish and half in English. that sucked for them. I am all for them being bi or tri lingual etc., but not for them to be taught in a foreign language unless they had always had access to that foreign language. Sign language being taught would not mean that other subjects had to be taught in sign.. Mostly though, it would foster communication between students if they all learned ASL in preschool on up at an age appropriate level. It should come natural just like teaching a deaf child of a Coda.

why would we have to do that? You see, those are foriegn languages. ASL is AMERICAN sign language. It should be offered at as early an age as possible. The kids who have siblings or other famly members that are autistic or deaf or have speech impairments, as well as Down Syndrome sufferers etc. would all benefit from a visual language. Foreign languages are just more spoken languages. A visual language is in a category all of its own.

My kids actually attended a school here is Salem where they were taught half in spanish and half in English. that sucked for them. I am all for them being bi or tri lingual etc., but not for them to be taught in a foreign language unless they had always had access to that foreign language. Sign language being taught would not mean that other subjects had to be taught in sign.. Mostly though, it would foster communication between students if they all learned ASL in preschool on up at an age appropriate level. It should come natural just like teaching a deaf child of a Coda.
While ASL is "American Sign Language", it still has its own syntax... structure... etc. ASL does not follow English standards. It only uses words from the English language. Signing ASL is like a Spanish person speaking English in Spanish structure.

She was cautious? You should go for it as full-time. If you go part-time, you might become lazy or it might be harder to go full-time.

I need to go part-time so I can work. What bothered me is that she didn't know that. Also if I can't get terps, there is no way I can go full time. I don't have the energy to speech read that intensily for full course load.

Back