Why do they make Deaf students spend their first three years at college taking no ..

Obviously you weren't a NTID student at all and haven't seen such happened when I have.
I've taken some classes at NTID, have tutored students from NTID, and have been a peer mentor for students from NTID.

You're right, not all VR are exactly as I said... but times do change. Even I had problems with VR because my first VR counselor was an asshole. I am currently on my 6th VR counselor. ;) (The first was an asshole. The second was the best. The third was struggling to do good. The fourth was a "replacement" for the third. The fifth was short-lived cuz I didn't even know she was my counselor. The sixth is who I have now... very communicative.)

No, I wasn't a student at NTID, but I do have degrees from 2 other universities, and am working on the third. What does that have to do with the way VR funds are dispersed?
Well, NTID does things differently than other colleges. They can be quite challenging at times.

This has actually happened at my high school. They rush to graduate some deaf students due to their age instead of intelligence. This resulted in a lot of deaf students graduating with 7th grade Math and 3rd grade English. :(

It happened to me and my two other classmates at my elementary school around the late 1970s. We were supposed to place in class of 1989. That 1989 class (I emphaminzed Deaf students only) was way smaller than class of 1990. I was pissed off because we were smarter than other Deaf students in our own age. Some of them graduated one year early were not that smart. I was disgusted by that system. It was so bullshitting.

That is what I had said before. It was all about money. The blind school was worth a lot, and the hospital is close to it. Salem hospital and some other developers made some pretty impressive bids. But one of the issues that they used to try to push for the merger was that enrollment is down in the Deaf school. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it is not being promoted around the state. Kids are screened and then steered towards the implant and mainstreaming.

My whole point was this.. If the kids are going to be mainstreamed in larger and larger majorities, wouldn't it be nice if they had access to Deaf culture and to sign.??? Ya know, if the muhamad won't come to the mountain, then move the mountain to him???? (just an old sayin)

No! In post #19 you said No Child Left Behind closed schools.

And as to what you said above, they want to merge because enrollment is so low in big state schools. Children are now supposed to get all accomodations in their own school district.

I have to take redemial reading and adult high school english in college this summer even though i already getting my regular dipmola in public high school

This question might sound a little dumb, but I will see if I can word it the way I mean it.

Let's say a deaf student was really smart in everything but english skills. Like he was a math wizard and history buff. If he couldn't read the or write the test well, would they keep him back in all areas, or is there such a thing as testing a student through sign language to find out he knows history and such, and then only make him take extra english classes? I hope that came out right.

Illogical! If his English skills were so bad he would have a hard time becoming a history buff.

And as to what you said above, they want to merge because enrollment is so low in big state schools. Children are now supposed to get all accomodations in their own school district.

NCLB reduces funding for schools based on lower test scores, or failure to make imporvement in test scores. Funding can be reduced to the point that it is necessary to close schools. Likewise, the schools most in need of funding (i.e. those with large numbers of students covered under I.E.P.s or inner city urban schools with large minority populations without updated textbooks and little technology) are the very schools that are loosing funding. Rather than improving the environment through funding necessary to offer the advantages to underpriviledged students that students in wealthy suburban schools provide, they further impede the ability of the disadvantaged schools to provide qualtiy education for their students. NCLB is the single most negative impact our educational system has endured for decades.

THis is silly of me to reply, but I think he would need English to read the closed captions? What is your hearing status, please?

A statement of the obvious!:giggle: And a testament (negative) to the critical thinking skills our students are being taught in today's educational environment.

NCLB reduces funding for schools based on lower test scores, or failure to make imporvement in test scores. Funding can be reduced to the point that it is necessary to close schools. Likewise, the schools most in need of funding (i.e. those with large numbers of students covered under I.E.P.s or inner city urban schools with large minority populations without updated textbooks and little technology) are the very schools that are loosing funding. Rather than improving the environment through funding necessary to offer the advantages to underpriviledged students that students in wealthy suburban schools provide, they further impede the ability of the disadvantaged schools to provide qualtiy education for their students. NCLB is the single most negative impact our educational system has endured for decades.

Thank you Jillio, for clear explanation. I understand.

I realize that. It is exactly what I am saying. The Deaf schools don't have a chance of competing when the enrollment is down. But, can you say that mainstreaming is the best educational tool for ALL Deaf kids? Just because they live in a certain district, it does not mean that the schools in that district will meet their need. And yes, you can look up Portland, OR. and see that we lost many schools in the last few years.

Schools have been combined into other schools to close one down. Now they are really overcrowded and recieving less one on one attention.

I realize that. It is exactly what I am saying. The Deaf schools don't have a chance of competing when the enrollment is down. But, can you say that mainstreaming is the best educational tool for ALL Deaf kids? Just because they live in a certain district, it does not mean that the schools in that district will meet their need. And yes, you can look up Portland, OR. and see that we lost many schools in the last few years.

Schools have been combined into other schools to close one down. Now they are really overcrowded and recieving less one on one attention.

You do not understand me. I was mainstreamed. I did not say mainstreamed is good. I said children are supposed to get accomodation in home district and not have to leave for big state school. I am glad I got to stay home even if mainstream was bad. Today not supposed to have to be mainstreamed and still can stay home!

I am deaf, mainstreamed, and in my last year of highschool. I have a good average (90%) in university prep classes. I was accepted to all schools that I applied to, I finally chose one (University of Toronto) and when I went to meet with the Access Centre the access counsellor that I spoke with was insistant that I not go full time for my first year. I am meeting her again on Friday and though I may not go full time for the first year it won't be because I am deaf. There are other reasons for me, but I was a little offended when she said she cautions her deaf students against full time studies.

I am deaf, mainstreamed, and in my last year of highschool. I have a good average (90%) in university prep classes. I was accepted to all schools that I applied to, I finally chose one (University of Toronto) and when I went to meet with the Access Centre the access counsellor that I spoke with was insistant that I not go full time for my first year. I am meeting her again on Friday and though I may not go full time for the first year it won't be because I am deaf. There are other reasons for me, but I was a little offended when she said she cautions her deaf students against full time studies.

And you had the right to be offended. Talk about buying into innaccurate stereotypes and failing to look at individual capabilities! Geeeze!

Do you know sign language?

And you had the right to be offended. Talk about buying into innaccurate stereotypes and failing to look at individual capabilities! Geeeze!

I think that was what I was trying to ask to begin with. Are deaf kids automatically routed to a more classes? But, if they are tested the same as everyone else, then I understand extra literacy classes. Literacy is a problem for most students because our schools are somehow failing there.

For years kids were passed just to get rid of them. How do you get to your senior year without literacy? It should have been dealt with in the younger grades. But flunking kids as a standard policy could be bad too. I think that some of the fault lies with the student when they are not dedicated, but some lies with the teachers and the methods. I really can't imagine trying to teach in schools today in the inner cities and poverty stricken areas. There are so many discipline problems and lack of funding issues. I don't know how they expect teachers to be able to teach. It might be real easy to lose your passion for teaching because of the wages, and cut backs and all the testing. A lot of things need to be revamped.

Back