Why do people become atheists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that we "Don't want to try." I tried. - I couldn't get my questions answered in a satisfactory way - answers I received just lead to more questions. In the end, I realized that organized religion wasn't (and never will be) for me.

neecy said:
I disagree that we "Don't want to try." I tried. - I couldn't get my questions answered in a satisfactory way - answers I received just lead to more questions. In the end, I realized that organized religion wasn't (and never will be) for me.

I think those who are religious would say those questions you ask of people will only take you so far anyway...they're not going to take anybody the whole way. Ultimately one must take a private leap of faith, to borrow the term used by Soren Kierkegaard.

Perhaps, but I've seen so much in my life that leaves me doubting any kind of formal ritualized religion. I'll take my chances being the way I am :)

I am a Christian. I believe in God and Jesus. Thats all it matters. The most important is of ALL is that God has a plan for every one of us. Always remember this, who bought us to this Earth? Mothers of course and it was God's plan. Keep your eyes open and watch your back and know your life plan. If you don't sometimes you get lucky or unlucky. Anything can happen. Words words words words! I had a near-death experience few years ago and I accepted that God has given me another chance. Keep your good and bad deeds in balance is important! These are the words out of my mouth that I believe.

neecy said:
I live my life here on earth the best I can, with morals and respect for human life and if there is an afterlife and I end up there good for me, if not and my body decomposes and we have no soul and I just cease to exsist in any way shape or form,at least I had a good & fullfilling life and I didn't spend my whole life here on earth "preparing and scarficing for something that doesn't even exist"

Indeed, the only thing I can believe is true is this: (from "The book of Common Prayer page 265")
Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

(note: this image is not mine, just found it on the net to show the artwork)

Attachments

• dust.gif
    dust.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
Actually, Buddhists don't believe in just one Buddha (although Morrigan is right that he is not deified). The man most people think of as the Buddha was named Siddhartha Gautama (much as the Christ was known as Jesus of Nazareth); he is often referred to as the Shakyamuni Buddha, I believe because he came from the Shakyamuni clan. Buddha is actually a title, and there have been several throughout history. The big fat guy whose statue is in a lot of Chinese restaurants is believed to be a representation of one of them.

Actually, the Shakyamuni Buddha may have been canonized by the Catholic church. Just goes to show that we all share something somewhere, right?

Me, I'm an atheist, although that doesn't necessarily mean I'm aspiritual. I could "justify" my beliefs, but quite frankly, it boils down to a lack of faith. Belief in God requires faith, and can't be backed up as evidence; that's not where my faith leads, and that's really all that can legitimately be said. I can no more defend my beliefs through rational argument than anyone of any (other?) religion can defend theirs through rational argument.

Rose Immortal said:
Just remember one thing...sometimes the "not wanting to try" comes from different reasons, and I truly believe that not all of them are because a person is somehow more evil than any of us are.

What about a person who has been abused by Christians? Who is to blame for that, then--the person who is afraid of getting hurt again, or the person who hurt them? Think carefully there.

Abused by Christians ? How ? Care to explain that for me ?

I believe in God....
Religion is such a mystery and such a confusion so I dont belong or go
to any church. I know God understands and Jesus understands too. I will
know the truth when i die..
I feel bad for the atheists really....
dont get mad at me for saying this....its just my opinion.
God is a mystery......
We, the believers, will know the truth when we die.
Im not good with words....oh well.

coloravalanche said:
Didnt I say no offend?
I don't know about you, but where I come from, calling people "stupid" is considered an insult. How do you think people will feel when you say that? It is an offensive thing to say - and you can't undo it by saying "I don't mean to offend."

Reba said:
So, I don't believe the only reason for people to become atheists or Christians or any other religion is just because of their family background. Culturally people might take on the traditions and outward behaviors of their families' beliefs but that is not the same as taking those religious (or non-religious) beliefs to heart.
Reba - it sounds like you have had a very satisfying faith experience. Though you and I do not agree on many points, I think your experience is very valid - and that is what I try to honor in all people, even when thier beliefs differ a great deal from mine.

CyberRed said:
Abused by Christians ? How ? Care to explain that for me ?

When a Christian does harm to or belittles a person, this harm can end up causing that person to be fearful of ever coming near Christianity again.

Husbands who beat their wives to make them "submit" are an example, and in the past in the U.S., justifying slavery with the Bible was an example.

Christians who treat people like dirt, who are anything but loving, in the name of "spreading the Gospel" are an even more common example and one of THE most destructive things to the cause of Christ. Things that fall under this category include: passing judgment upon people and telling them they're damned (when you are just as sinful), calling them stupid or worthless, going all the way up to hate crimes or other acts of violence.

There are many more possible examples, but the main idea is that anyone who justifies a hateful act in the name of Christ falls under this definition; the victims of these hateful acts are victims of abuse.

U r right, rose, many christians trying to justify even gossipping about "others commit sin", and by saying the bible says this and that, but mising the whole message of Christs example. I met numerous christians are doing these things, but I stand firm of my faith in Christ what He taught me and still discipline my weakness. Max Lucado set a good example who we are in Christ and how Christ sees us. Pure judgemental christians broke God's heart. Being a christian, is my responsible to put aside whatever time u have to devote urself in prayer, not follow prayer book, but ur heart given to the Lord in prayer to work in u whatever ur life is in. Numerous in the scripture taught how our brothers and sisters who fall away to bring thm back. As Jesus said if I judging them or gossipping about a person who sin or whatever it is, its better for a person to have a millstone and wrap around ur neck and throw urself in the sea. Not mean suicide, meaning that u will feel ashame of what has done to other believers. That is part of the sin that can cause other driven away. But, He said with that, forgive one another and reconcile and help and pray. The key responsible is confide one another, meaning support to help the weak to become strong in secret. Its not our job, by saying, when prayer meeting and mention the name of a person who sin and pray for that person, that goes as gossip. It destroy the weak spiritual, if aperson said ok to pray in the group that's fine, but if the person want no name mention or struggle part, then don't, that's only u and God to pray what the person ask for. Also other story, the man name C S Lewis is once pure athiest and scientist claiming all the "proof" and somewhere along the way, C S Lewis acknowledge the God is real and there is salvation based on Christ alone. Religious doesn't mean anything. Yup, the same one who wrote the story called Narnia. Its a great story and the movie is also great.

hottiedeafboi said:
Max Lucado set a good example who we are in Christ and how Christ sees us.
Did you read his book called "Just Like Jesus"? I liked that one a lot.

Not yet, I read called, EYE OF THE STORM, WHEN GOD WHISPER UR NAME, WHEN CHRIST COMES, THE GIFT, CRIPPLED LAMB and HE STILL MOVES STONES. Of course, I'm getting more of his books. I love all of them. Its a beautiful portrayal of Gods love in Christ Jesus toward us.

Rose Immortal said:
When a Christian does harm to or belittles a person, this harm can end up causing that person to be fearful of ever coming near Christianity again.

Husbands who beat their wives to make them "submit" are an example, and in the past in the U.S., justifying slavery with the Bible was an example.

Christians who treat people like dirt, who are anything but loving, in the name of "spreading the Gospel" are an even more common example and one of THE most destructive things to the cause of Christ. Things that fall under this category include: passing judgment upon people and telling them they're damned (when you are just as sinful), calling them stupid or worthless, going all the way up to hate crimes or other acts of violence.

There are many more possible examples, but the main idea is that anyone who justifies a hateful act in the name of Christ falls under this definition; the victims of these hateful acts are victims of abuse.

Thanks for explainin' it for me. I can understand what you exactly mean. Well, it can happen to some people like this, but for your information God is always good to people and He is very kind to them. Never mind about some Christians who abused other person/persons... let's just focus on God, because He would never abuse people. God/Jesus is the true friend to people.

I do have my own share that some people did hurt me in the past... callin' me some names like " Jesus freak " or " fanatic ( manic )" and, a few. Gee - I wouldn't fall for them, because of what they did to me wasn't directly at me. They were doin' that directly at Jesus Christ in my heart where I invited Him... the one who changed me from the " old " self into a " new " self. I am not gonna givin' up on Him -- no way. Ha ! He is too sweet than sugar cane. LOL

I eat, drink and taste Him. Too rich than any kind of food I eat daily from my own plate. :D

hottiedeafboi said:
Also other story, the man name C S Lewis is once pure athiest and scientist claiming all the "proof" and somewhere along the way, C S Lewis acknowledge the God is real and there is salvation based on Christ alone. Religious doesn't mean anything. Yup, the same one who wrote the story called Narnia. Its a great story and the movie is also great.

Thanks...and I adore C.S. Lewis. I think there are a few other threads where we can chat about him if you like. :)

CyberRed said:
Thanks for explainin' it for me. I can understand what you exactly mean. Well, it can happen to some people like this, but for your information God is always good to people and He is very kind to them. Never mind about some Christians who abused other person/persons... let's just focus on God, because He would never abuse people. God/Jesus is the true friend to people.

You're welcome.

The thing to remember is, for someone who has not yet known Christ directly, you and I are His representatives...you and I, and others who call themselves Christian, are all that these people have ever known of Christ at all. That makes our responsibility very important, and any failure on our part is catastrophic. God works through people. BUT, if we mistreat a person in the name of God, people will believe that's what God is like, that He is cruel. I can't remember where, but I believe this was actually discussed somewhere in the New Testament. That's why I say that when a person abuses someone in the name of God, this is not an issue we can just ignore. It's very real and the only way it will change is if we confront it when we see it.

I do have my own share that some people did hurt me in the past... callin' me some names like " Jesus freak " or " fanatic ( manic )" and, a few. Gee - I wouldn't fall for them, because of what they did to me wasn't directly at me. They were doin' that directly at Jesus Christ in my heart where I invited Him... the one who changed me from the " old " self into a " new " self. I am not gonna givin' up on Him -- no way. Ha ! He is too sweet than sugar cane. LOL

I eat, drink and taste Him. Too rich than any kind of food I eat daily from my own plate. :D

Yes, often the world is cruel to Christians. But we must also make sure not to treat others in that same way...remember the Golden Rule. ;)

It's good that your faith is so strong...but what about a person who is not sure, who is still trying to understand if Christ is indeed all that He says He is, who is not sure if Christianity is truly a good faith? If that person gets called names or otherwise mistreated by a person who says they are Christian, that could destroy any inclinations towards faith they were starting to have. And then who's responsible?

Rose Immortal said:
Your situation sounds similar to what almost drove me away from the church. I became so angry with hypocritical behavior from some Christians that I was almost convinced that they couldn't be the ones who speak for God. I later realized that I wasn't helping anything by "running away"...that instead I needed to go back and try to prevent or repair problems when I saw them.

Please be careful about saying "don't trust Christian teachers or preachers". They're not all evil. Adults do need to listen carefully to see if what they say sounds reasonable, but some teachers really are trying their best. Even those will mess up occasionally--but the GOOD ones want to be told when they have made a mistake and will usually take responsibility for it.

Ur so kindness to me about be careful about saying this dont trust them. Yes they are good people but this is not what I mean. I do not trust them because of what it happened to me. I won't go into details except that God took me in and opened up to me. It was wake up call for me then. If I tell them about it , then they would said this is not God's doing. So I keep it to myself. Only one Teacher for me is Him. I know I have to work on to trust others again on this part but I doubt it.

I have watched too many deaf people with desire to find Him but ended up to follow others instead of Him. They simple do not understand whole things. I guess I used to be one of them but I perfer to see it as a whole pix instead of words. Words are just words but not same as what people experience God's touch as I had with Him. That is where I am having trouble to share it with others and have to be careful what I say about Him otherwise I get warned from Him many time for saying wrong things to certain people. God knows my need so I do not have to go to any preachers or teachers to help me on this one. I have Him on my side already.

CyberRed said:

Beautiful. :)

I have a story for u to share about my husband's bad experince with this pastor on fishing trip years ago. My Christian friend invited my husband to join with him and his Christian buddies from church to go on fishing trip. At that time my husband had a long hair which I lasked him to grow for me cuz I love long hair on man ( I guess bec of jesus with long hair). Anyway during the trip, everyone put money on the pot for anyone who got biggest fish to win the money. My husband was fishing next to this pastor, he was being very rude to my husband because of the way my husband look. Anyway, my husband got many fishes and got one biggest fish. This pastor got so upset about it and kicked my husband's bucket to make it fall because he won the pot. My husband never was so surprised how bad act on this pastor so he never went back to any events that Church provide or attending one. He stays to himself since then, even many christian friends to this day try to bring him, he won't. It was all becasue of this attiude toward him from this pastor. This kind of judgement is considering abuse to me.

Also many of them are gaybashers, not u but I know couples are like that.

I do have my own share that some people did hurt me in the past... callin' me some names like " Jesus freak " or " fanatic ( manic )" and, a few.

Dear, you ARE a Jesus Freak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back