Why CI is bad for kids under 6 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEJM -- Risk of Bacterial Meningitis in Children with Cochlear Implants

More reasons for allow kids to grow up and make decision for themselves.

First of all...look how OLD this article is. 4 1/2 years old.

Second of all...it is now REQUIRED for all children and adults to get their Meningitis shot before CI surgery to prevent this from happening.

I've said it in my previous post, that the only way medical people can learn is to look at the history, including deaths. It's sad, but it's the only way they can help for the future.

I have not heard ANY break out of meningitis since then. (1 or 2 cases doesn't count...it's too low of a number).

Nonsense.... and one has nothing to do with the other...

....and is this a way to start a new discussion on "letting the child decide for him/her self?
Parents have the responsibility to make a decision... when the child is older, he/she can make a new decision..

Cloggy!! Welcome back!! :hug: I missed you. :(

First of all...look how OLD this article is. 4 1/2 years old.

Second of all...it is now REQUIRED for all children and adults to get their Meningitis shot before CI surgery to prevent this from happening.

I've said it in my previous post, that the only way medical people can learn is to look at the history, including deaths. It's sad, but it's the only way they can help for the future.

I have not heard ANY break out of meningitis since then. (1 or 2 cases doesn't count...it's too low of a number).

Nope it is still not old news. If you visit several CI webpage, they still have this research up to date to caution parents about the complications of implant kids. Pity kids bec if they could read for themselves about the risks of CI, they would fight back against parents.

Nope it is still not old news. If you visit several CI webpage, they still have this research up to date to caution parents about the complications of implant kids. Pity kids bec if they could read for themselves about the risks of CI, they would fight back against parents.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Not only do I have 2 children with implants plus about 10 of their friends have implant plus I have had abour 20 students current and in the past with implants plus I have about 20 professionals that i know that have implants and none of them have gotten it. Wait I forgot my daughter got it when she was 5 years old which was 6 years before got her implant.

You have to get a shot. WE have been throught it. And of course it is still there it has to be. Anyone or family who makes a choice knows about the risk.

Hey CI users, were you told the risk of surgery?

Pity, don't pity. Deaf children don't need pity, there families need support. Same as deaf adults and deaf teenagers.

as long as parents are informed of the risk, and make sure their child is given the proper vaccinations.. if the child has been vaccinated, then risk is even smaller. and this goes for ANYONE considering a CI, not just kids alone. even adults are encouraged to get vaccinated before getting the CI surgery.

NEJM -- Risk of Bacterial Meningitis in Children with Cochlear Implants

More reasons for allow kids to grow up and make decision for themselves.
The Risk among hearing children and teenager from K to college level are greater than those with CI.

Are you a college student? if so, it is highly recommended that you get a vaccine to prevent bacterial meningitis which students can contract from others...

This will open your frakking eyes!
Health Education-General Health

oh by the way.. see this google results of various news on death of HEARING elementary students in usa as result of meningitis.
bacterial - Google Search

In human with CI populations, the percents are smaller than hearing populations.

The Risk among hearing children and teenager from K to college level are greater than those with CI.

Are you a college student? if so, it is highly recommended that you get a vaccine to prevent bacterial meningitis which students can contract from others...

oh by the way.. see this google results of various news on death of HEARING elementary students in usa as result of meningitis.

In human with CI populations, the percents are smaller than hearing populations.

:ty: it really sucks that people that know this stuff have to keep repeating the same thing over and over, yet anti-ci will keep bringing this up...even if they're the same person. It just doesn't get through their skull. No comment about that. :roll:

:ty: it really sucks that people that know this stuff have to keep repeating the same thing over and over, yet anti-ci will keep bringing this up...even if they're the same person. It just doesn't get through their skull. No comment about that. :roll:

You are right it doesn't matter what we say or we say it or how much proof we have they will always come back to same thing over and over again even when proven wrong.

Instead of advocating for the right of the child to make his own decision to get an implant, how about you stress the importance of the vaccine that is used to prevent Bacterial Meningitis?

Another thing is that this vaccine has to be taken every five years.

I'm not jumping into another ci-is-evil debate, but seriously: NO VACCINATION is EVER 100% or even NEARLY so. Please don't use the vaccination as the "fix" to make this problem seem insignificant. People who have been vaccinated can still get it!

Nonsense.... and one has nothing to do with the other...

....and is this a way to start a new discussion on "letting the child decide for him/her self?
Parents have the responsibility to make a decision... when the child is older, he/she can make a new decision..

Cloggy,

Great to have you back! As always, right on target! Keep 'em coming.
Rick

Tragically, last week a student in our area was taking his midterms, and after studying went to bed saying that he did not feel so good. His mother found him dead the next morning from meninningitis. Very sad.
Rick

Children with Cochlear implants are at a higher risk for developing bacterial meningitis, a potentially deadly infection, and must be fully immunized against the disease. That warning came from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) after it learned that two children with Cochlear implants had recently died from bacterial meningitis.

Children with a cochlear implant to treat hearing loss have a greater risk of developing bacterial meningitis compared to children in the general population, according to a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food and Drug Administration, and state and local health departments.
Cochlear Implants and Bacterial Meningitis

Quite obviously the risk is there. The question is, are the medical professionals insuring that the vaccine has been taken prior to the surgical procedure.

I discovered and learned it lot from agbell..

Made me puke!

Agbad using Parent's rights instead child's rights!

NAD: respect to Child's rights their choice: ASL or others.. but agbad not using this one reason agbad is seek for pressure on Parent and change their heart and decide cochlear implant their child.

SAD!
Nowhere protection Child's right???
I'm happy NAD is very supportive issues respect Child's rights making their choice.. ASL or others.. fine by then..
Stupid agbad really bad community for monopolized toward to people.

Agbad's preferences placement you attend hearing school and not allowed placement you at Deaf School or mainstream or others.. only Hearing school! Made me sick!

If suppose the child goes through patience and for sake parent happy! Is that good health?
Heck no..

CI NEEDS TO STOP monopolized! (Not even think twice about side effects) Doctor think about money comes first than their health!
*gawd, made me sick* Pete sake , where children's health comes first than CI! Look serious case: Cochlear Implants and Bacterial Meningitis. That worst awful one!
**edit** add: why Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval CI first place?? Not even think twice about Bacterial Meningitis!!
Is children are guinea pigs as experiment?

I do not care about ci people think , Deaf Community are WRONG! Heck no.. reason why you're protection CI'ers community all want take over DEAF community and push them out of cliff.. Rest of Deaf Community are not going giving up and keep stand up and will fight for that!
Look young children are very innocent and don't know what going on.. without their rights! Geez! Parent are power control on the child.. Parent are evil and doing everything their own rights want child is perfect! Oh please isn't solution "fix". You seek for solution way easy out!

Why can't you accept your Child is DEAF.. why not learn sign languages?
Sign Languages is beautiful..
Your child will grown up and complain about their side effects.. Parent will say that, aw, stop that, Just normal for headache.. you don't know about your child really turmoil emotion feelings expression really painful. Why can't you listen and respect your child come first, if your child don't want CI.. respect.. DON'T FORCE YOUR CHILD HAVE COCHLEAR IMPLANT!

Get it..
Throw 2 cents into the wish well! Please stop ci monopolized.

Yeah GalaxyAngel,

That´s why I prefer to support my child´s choice instead of do what I want for him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back