Why CI is bad for kids under 6 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that is your subjective and biased interpretation. It is also not a fair interpretation of what I wrote. For example, there are a growing number of deaf parents choosing the cochlear implant for thier children, thus are you saying that decision is based upon speech and oral skills taking precedence over anything else? Also, since the decision to give your child a cochlear implant has nothing to do with raising your child to be culturally deaf, your comments are narrow and limited in scope.

Is it your position that oral speech and language skills are of absolutely no value whatsoever?

Link, please. This is my second request.

You do realize that a child who is above the age of 10 years old and has not had an oral background and then decides he/she wants to be oral it is too late, whereas my children can stop using their voice and immerse themselves in the deaf culture.

That is a myth. I know it because I didn't really want to speak until I was 12 years old when I realized that deaf people are really in the minority. I want to be able to get a good job, not a menial job and that what prompted me to learn to speak.

You do realize that a child who is above the age of 10 years old and has not had an oral background and then decides he/she wants to be oral it is too late, whereas my children can stop using their voice and immerse themselves in the deaf culture.
*Bangs head against wall*
Jackie, it is VERY rare for dhh kids not to have had any speech therapy while growing up. Even kids who *gasp* went to DEAF SCHOOLS have worn hearing aids and had speech training! The magical Seperatist Utopia that AG Bell portrays Schools for the Deaf as being in the '70's and 80's NEVER EXISTED!!!!
Yes, at schools for the Deaf there may be a higher then what's usually seen, of Sign Monolingals......BUT the majority of kids at Schools for the Deaf, have experianced extensive speech training! (and it DID happen in the 70's and 80's!)

You use ice? Don't you know using ice increases the risk of slipping and possibly hitting your head?

Don't use ice!
Be proud of warm water!
You should leave the way nature intended and that is warm water.
Don't mess with nature by using technology to makes ice makes thr water frozen!

:)lol: sorry I couldn't resist!)

Not living by your own rules.... as usual.

Do you have anything relevent to add to the topic? Otherwise, your childish attempts to inflame are unnecessary, unwarranted, and unproductive.

Link, please. This is my second request.

There is no link. My statement is based on the following, including, but limited to: newspaper articles I have read, discussions I have had with individuals who work at implant centers, discussions I have had with with adminsitrators of deaf education programs, discussions I have had with representatives of Cochlear Corp., and personal experience and knowledge.
Rick

There is no link. My statement is based on the following, including, but limited to: newspaper articles I have read, discussions I have had with individuals who work at implant centers, discussions I have had with with adminsitrators of deaf education programs, discussions I have had with representatives of Cochlear Corp., and personal experience and knowledge.
Rick

Ah, so its okay for you to voice an opinion based on cummulative knowledge and experience, but not okay if someone else does the same. Nice!

Originally Posted by jillio
ASL has proven to be most effective in developing language skills.

Firstly, this is a misleading statement. It has been my experience that there are numerous variables/dynamics within the family/world of a deaf/hoh child that can/do effect developing language skills and the results thereof.

Secondly, jillio, in choosing the word proven
(to subject to a test, experiment, comparison, analysis, or the like)Dictionary.com
the reader is lead to believe that in fact there is current studies and/or research, by reputable individuals to support this claim.

jillio - You are making the statement that:
ASL has proven to be most effective in developing language skills
Would you please provide links to support your claim.

Ah, so its okay for you to voice an opinion based on cummulative knowledge and experience, but not okay if someone else does the same. Nice!

The issue is not about expressing an opinion its about the fact that you constantly say there is research to back up your statements or that your statements are based on current research, etc. but when someone asks you for it, you blow them off and usually and refuse to provide it.

I'm gonna blurt this out and get it over with. Why are people demanding others to provide sources/ links rather than just letting them say what's on their minds? If you feel something is not right, then it's up to you to find proof of what you think is correct - especially if you feel so strongly about it?

The whole "prove what you're saying" concept is driving me nuts. It is downright childish and makes the forum pointless. If you want proof of something, go find it yourself. We're not writing a position paper here. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way.

(Off topic - sorry)

With all due respect deaf bajagal, the request for links are made when statements are presented in a manner where the intention is to have you believe it is supported with reputable research. If the individual has research, it should be easily accessible to them. In the interest of providing easy access to information, telling the person to "go look for it yourself", is truly childish.

I'm gonna blurt this out and get it over with. Why are people demanding others to provide sources/ links rather than just letting them say what's on their minds? If you feel something is not right, then it's up to you to find proof of what you think is correct - especially if you feel so strongly about it?

The whole "prove what you're saying" concept is driving me nuts. It is downright childish and makes the forum pointless. If you want proof of something, go find it yourself. We're not writing a position paper here. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way.

(Off topic - sorry)

You are right, no one is writing a position paper but when someone says in substance "the current research proves X" or "studies have shown Y". Then they should reasonably expect someone to ask them to provide them with the research or study and not play games like asking them where they live or insulting them by saying they need to be tutored.
Rick

(Off topic - sorry)

:ty: Thank you deafbajagal. The whole point of demanding proof is simply a way to circumvent what they are totally unable to disprove. And particularly so when those studeies have been provided prior in other links.

Mod Note: Thread closed for a "cool down" period and for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back