Why an Unmade Bed Is Healthier

G

Gemtun

Yayy - now I dont have to feel guilty about leaving my bed unmade every day!!

Neatniks, cover your eyes. New research from Kingston University in the United Kingdom has concluded that an unmade bed is not only unappealing to the eyes, but also unappealing to house dust mites, which are thought to cause asthma and other allergies.

The average bed can be home to as many as 1.5 million house dust mites, and when a bed is made up, it traps moisture in the sheets and mattress--ideal conditions for those mites. But the bugs apparently have a harder time surviving in the drier conditions of an unmade bed, reports the BBC News.

The big takeaway: Since dust mites are a leading cause of allergies and asthma, keeping your bed unmade could keep you healthier.

House dust mites are less than a millimeter long and feed on the scales of human skin. They produce allergens which are easily inhaled during sleep. When we sleep, the bed becomes warm and even damp, conditions that help the house dust mites to grow and multiply. "We know that mites can only survive by taking in water from the atmosphere using small glands on the outside of their body," lead researcher Dr. Stephen Pretlove told the BBC News. "Something as simple as leaving a bed unmade during the day can remove moisture from the sheets and mattress so the mites will dehydrate and eventually die."

While house dust mites are a major cause of allergies and asthma, avoiding them is almost impossible. That's why the Kingston University scientists have developed a computer model to track how specific changes in the home, including heating, ventilation, and insulation, can reduce the number of dust mites in beds. They'll be testing it in 36 houses around the United Kingdom to determine how people's daily routines impact the mite population. The knowledge gained could help architects and builders create healthier homes.

Not everyone agrees it's possible to get rid of the critters. "It is true that mites need humid conditions to thrive and cannot survive in very dry, desert-like conditions," Andrew Wardlaw of the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology told the BBC. "However, most homes in the UK are sufficiently humid for the mites to do well, and I find it hard to believe that simply not making your bed would have any impact on the overall humidity."

Well, Meg..
I have moderate to severe allergies, and while its appealing to keep my bed unmade, I think I'll stick to what I've been doing. Other members of my household likes to have a hissy fit about "my messy room". :rofl:

I strip my bed down a couple times a week and wash all the linen. This doesn't eradicate my breathing problems, but it does help. We also vacuum a few times a week to.

Rofl. if I was a young boy and found this article, I will use this against my mom as good excuse to not do that every morning ;)

Meg said:
Yayy - now I dont have to feel guilty about leaving my bed unmade every day!!

Neatniks, cover your eyes. New research from Kingston University in the United Kingdom has concluded that an unmade bed is not only unappealing to the eyes, but also unappealing to house dust mites, which are thought to cause asthma and other allergies.

The average bed can be home to as many as 1.5 million house dust mites, and when a bed is made up, it traps moisture in the sheets and mattress--ideal conditions for those mites. But the bugs apparently have a harder time surviving in the drier conditions of an unmade bed, reports the BBC News.

The big takeaway: Since dust mites are a leading cause of allergies and asthma, keeping your bed unmade could keep you healthier.

House dust mites are less than a millimeter long and feed on the scales of human skin. They produce allergens which are easily inhaled during sleep. When we sleep, the bed becomes warm and even damp, conditions that help the house dust mites to grow and multiply. "We know that mites can only survive by taking in water from the atmosphere using small glands on the outside of their body," lead researcher Dr. Stephen Pretlove told the BBC News. "Something as simple as leaving a bed unmade during the day can remove moisture from the sheets and mattress so the mites will dehydrate and eventually die."

While house dust mites are a major cause of allergies and asthma, avoiding them is almost impossible. That's why the Kingston University scientists have developed a computer model to track how specific changes in the home, including heating, ventilation, and insulation, can reduce the number of dust mites in beds. They'll be testing it in 36 houses around the United Kingdom to determine how people's daily routines impact the mite population. The knowledge gained could help architects and builders create healthier homes.

Not everyone agrees it's possible to get rid of the critters. "It is true that mites need humid conditions to thrive and cannot survive in very dry, desert-like conditions," Andrew Wardlaw of the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology told the BBC. "However, most homes in the UK are sufficiently humid for the mites to do well, and I find it hard to believe that simply not making your bed would have any impact on the overall humidity."

OMG!!! i am going to :kiss: you the minute i walk off of the plane!! you are my lifesavor!! can't wait to show this to my mom!! she has been BREATHING down my throat since i moved in here back in april about my friggin allergies, MAKING MY FRIGGIN BED and keeping my room clean/neat!! UGH!! whats more.. i am a VERY NEAT person.. except for the paper part.. WHOOPEE-DE-DOO!! even the allergist dr told her that having rugs (wall to wall) plays a major part of my allergies.. you should have seen her face!! :jaw: lmao!! (i think i told you about this a few days ago??) so this will be a DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR HER!! yippee now she can BACK OFF!!! (i am praying!! so pls pray she does!!!) :bowdown: :ugh:

Interestingly enough, Germans never "make" their bed like the Americans do. They put the blankets off the bed and hang it up to air dry them, sometimes even over window or balcony. If I had a bed, I would do the same like this. My bf always fold his blanket and put it on one end, which is also healthy according to this article. Cool...

zesty said:
OMG!!! i am going to :kiss: you the minute i walk off of the plane!! you are my lifesavor!! can't wait to show this to my mom!! she has been BREATHING down my throat since i moved in here back in april about my friggin allergies, MAKING MY FRIGGIN BED and keeping my room clean/neat!! UGH!! whats more.. i am a VERY NEAT person.. except for the paper part.. WHOOPEE-DE-DOO!! even the allergist dr told her that having rugs (wall to wall) plays a major part of my allergies.. you should have seen her face!! :jaw: lmao!! (i think i told you about this a few days ago??) so this will be a DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR HER!! yippee now she can BACK OFF!!! (i am praying!! so pls pray she does!!!) :bowdown: :ugh:

:rofl:

I SO hear you, Zesty!!! We have wall to wall carpeting in my house, too. We also live in a very humid environment, and mold grows like crazy here. Guess what Ocean is allergic to the most?

Yep, you guessed it!

MOLD!

Dust also isn't easy on me, either. Ugh!

Thankfully, I don't have asthma, but I have post nasal drip non stop to beat the band!

Dang, my bed sheets just slithered up to me, clutching a printout of the article within its quivering folds. Looks like They want something, a treaty perhaps. I consider myself a pioneer in the realm of dirty sheets, but when it gets to the point that tiny cities are being built and there is the danger of nuclear capability being achieved by the tiny culprits, it is time for action.

Oceanbreeze said:
Good thing that I have this bed that lay near the window where sunlight will shine into for 6 hours or so daily (beside crap weathers & rain)

Sunshine tend to kill virtually any germs on anything else so it is good to have that :)

Pahhh I see best news about unmade bed is more healthier. Yay! I am one of them for not made bed for many years. Only made bed when my guests is around my bedroom.

Thanks, Meg!

woOOOoOoo....

My family are strongest not making their bed... (chuckles) Too lazy being making bed and neat! YUCK! Leave it and messy.... Espically of course kept laundry 1 once in two wks.. their bedroom must KEPT clean all the time... just bed no need! :)

I'm glad you bought it up this thread unmade bed!
btw GREAT THANKS! :)

LOL unmade beds healthy for me?

Good thing I never made my bed daily. I just leave 'em a mess and no breathe plms...

Perhaps what's next....... messy houses are actually healthier? lol

That is very interesting, I made my bed all the time never had problem with allergies. But I thought that dust mites are in carpets, If vaccum daily wouldn't have allergies issue, or shampoo carpet once a week.

But that is new to me, about not making the bed LOL! :D

I never make my bed! I only made my bed once in 6 years. I guess that would explain why I've never gotten sick while at RIT! Hehehe!

When I saw the article about unmade beds being healthier. I could see myself grinning ear to ear :D . I don't have allergies myself and I am not fond of making the bed daily. I only make the bed when I need the house to look its best.
I live alone so I don't worry about someone breathing down my neck for not making my bed or washing sheets often enough.
Blue120 :)

I've known this for a long time and thats why I roll up the blankets and stuff them up on the shelves and leave the main mattress by itself. This way it creates the 'spartan warrior bedroom' image and remains healthier to sleep on after a long work day.

Richard

umm...It looks like I repost this twice.....Sorry

Honestly, sometimes I get lazy and don't feel like making my bed, but other times I do, it's depending on how moody I am when I get up in the morning :rofl:

Back