Whos Deaf and can still talk?

Although I was born profoundly deaf, I was blessed with the opportunity in having speech and auditory therapy for the first 15 years of my life - that helped me attain the tools in communicating with hearing people out in the community and workplace.

^Angel^ said:
nodding your head when someone keeps talking on and on and you have no clue what this person said.....
Yes, I feel that way too and I sometimes change topics and hearing people gets puzzled... it is very frustrating for me and I wish that I am not deaf but I still have to cope with my deafness.

I'm deaf without hearing aides since birth and I can speak well thru intensive speech therapy while growing up til middle school. I still can't pronounce words that starts with "st" correctly. I can lip-read as well except for guys with long mustache covering their lips and peeps that don't move their lips at all!!
Wonder.gif
I had to let them know that I can't hear well and they would repeat what they were saying to me only if they have patience or just write it down. Sometimes I would ask them "what are you talking about now?" if they change subject that got me lost
Hum.gif

Did you know that everyone is born with the ability to lip-read without knowing it?? It's true!! :)

What really makes me :squint: cringe is this -->
Rumour.gif
peeps talk directly to my deaf ears after I told them I can't hear well (mostly at the bar scene or dance floor)!!! And covering their lips so that I can't read their lips!!!
Flee.gif

I can't talk very well but my partner Javapride babe talks very well. Depend on Deaf people can talk or not.

I became Hard-of-hearing at age 11 so I learned to talk the normal way. You can't tell that I'm deaf so I often have to mention it. I can't lipread very well.

I was born as a deaf. >.> I have a family who are all deaf. Neverthless, they made me go to speech classes for some reason. Eventually, it didn't work because I tried practicing with my parents but they never use speech. So, it didn't work then, I went to RIT to take speech classes for 3 years. So far, it helped me to understand what's going. It's enough for me.

I was born with a mild hearing loss - but regardless, i was subjected to many years of speech therapy. I hated it when i was kid, it was like they were always making me jump through hoops. But now, I am thankful my mother put me through that torture.

My hearing has been progressive, was profoundly deaf by age 21 (too much beer perhaps?? hehe :beer:) 15 years later, my speech capability has gone downhill as I can no longer hear my own voice. (except the unnerving squeeky one in my head :Ohno: )

Enjoy...

kipper3d said:
I was born with a mild hearing loss - but regardless, i was subjected to many years of speech therapy. I hated it when i was kid, it was like they were always making me jump through hoops. But now, I am thankful my mother put me through that torture.
Same here. Every week the big letter to work on was "S".

Oh I totally agree!!! That's one BIG reason why I am anti-oral-only....once you get past language therapy, the mechanics of speech therapy are frustrating and BORING!!!! I HATE speech...I think its boring and that most speech therapists have no idear how to make the mechanics of speech fun....I still can't pronounce a lot of words, I still talk funny....arugghh!!!!

I was diagnosed with a mild hearing loss at age 3 (although my HA audi thinks it may be congenital since infants weren't given hearing screenings back in the 60's and 70's the way they are today). By age 25 my loss became severe-profound. By age 30 it was profound. I'm still able to talk despite the fact that I have been unable to hear my voice for the past 10 years. Now that I have a CI, I can hear my voice and am better able to regulate the volume, pitch and intonation of my voice -- as well as improve my pronunciation.

A lot of people don't even believe Im hearing impaired because I speak so well. Honestly thats 100% because of the dedication of my mother growing up. Of course there are those words that 'll never be able to say- but what ever. Words arent too important anyway.
I just hate how when you ask someone to repeat something becaues they didnt speak loudly enough and I missed it and they go "never mind" - now that hurts! -Assholes! lol

Back