Whos Deaf and can still talk?

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
Like other people in our world can still speak in words but lost their hearing.Do you have to tell people that your deaf and please be patent or show me something or write it down?

Sometimes I do have to tell people I am deaf, but I have a very distinctive "deaf" sounding voice, so many people know I'm deaf.

Depend on different hearing people who have good patience with deafies. It's no problem to use paper and pen if deafies or hearing don't understand each other.

I tell them I am deaf, i talk to them as a normal, if they get frustrated. I tell them to be patient or take it easy, take out a paper and pen, if they don't want to deal with them, I tell them, "well that is your loss" that does grab their attention and listen up closely. go figure. :roll:

I tell people that I am deaf only if I don't understand them, it's alot better than nodding your head when someone keeps talking on and on and you have no clue what this person said.... :lol: ...

I rather them to speak slowly instead of writing it down, it takes up all my time for them to put every word on a piece of paper....

My folks discovered I was deaf at 18 months, but I was promptly outfitted with hearing aids and had intensive speech/audiology training so I speak well with a minor inflection of that deaf accent. Now my situation's been reversed as I now have a ci so I can hear well but can't speak as well as id like, given my 30 db hearing level with the ci. I guess there's just no pleasing me!

I was blessed with excellent lipreading skills, however, there are times when I cannot understand and I request that they write it down - most of the time, they have been very nice about it and willing to do so. I do the same thing if they cannot understand me, also, in a pleasant manner, unless they give me an attitude and I give it right back.

i am full deaf , can talk... sometime if hard words, i cant talk then i write down... if i dont uddy hearing talk , write down... if i uddy and read lip then no plms..

I thought you were deaf?! :dunno:

Coming from an all Deaf family, we still don't understand how I was able to speak and lipread well. I started talking quite young and have been able to lipread most people. If a hearing person says something when they're not looking right at me, I tend to tell them that I'm Deaf and I need to read your lips; they then acknowledge that and say they're sorry and try again. Sometimes, I don't tell them I'm Deaf; this usually happens if I can understand them clearly and see no need to bring up that I'm Deaf. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be Deaf. Every once in a while, I'm approached by a hearing person who is completely unreadable. I mean, I cannot understand one word they say. When this does happen, I do not use my voice at all, and gesture that they need to write down.

When it all comes down to it, the desire to speak/lipread or gesture for pen/paper really varies on my mood and attitude of that day. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll speak if I have to. If I'm feeling "D"eaf, I'll act as if I'm mute. Go figure.

I tell people that I'm totally deaf, and ask them to go and get a bullhorn so I just might be able to hear them.

* just kidding *

I work at store that I am only deaf work there. NO one know sign language there but some do use home signs (not big home signs but little ones) I do read lips most of times but when I dont understand I usually tell them to write down or go ask other employee to assist them. I dont use sign language when ask if want plastic or paper I just speak to them most do understand me sometimes they say huh? i say point to paper or paper.. they say oh okay plastic or whatever...I do speak but not too good and am so so on lip reading depend how they move their lips. For some reason I am not used to sign front of hearing people by myself but if talk to friend or my brother or anyone who knows sign language I would use it. It just habit for me I guess...

Not every word can be read. I learned a few lipreading words but not all of them.Sometimes i have to guess what they say. This girl talked to me i explaned im deaf. And she play a little charade and i know what she ment.Not all hearing people are tolerant towards the deaf.

I always tell hearing not to rely on lipread-guessing. Try it out, "Olive Juice".

Steve

Or u mouth it: "Vaccum" or "Suffer much". :)

I am deaf but have the ability to speak and hear well but there are time when I need to really convince I'm deaf, I'll use paper and pen/pencil such as at Social Security. :rme:

ofc, I am :deaf: deaf, deaf, deaf. Wannabe deaf, daaf, daaaf. I wannabe daaaf-f-f-f faa.. faa.. faa.. all the t-i-i-i-mmm...e.. hee.. hee... I will never be hearing 4ever. I muuu-L-L-L-L-L.. la.. la.. la.. aaaah.. aaah.. aaah.. I muu-L-L-L aaah.. aah.. ( deaf accent luvz to exaggerate signed for muuust) have paper & pencil to communicate boring with heeaaaring.

I am deaf, but grew up in the hearing world and I have been speaking a lot while growing up, and I just learned how to sign language when I was 18 years old. I took Sign Language class when I was senior in high school. Very interesting class, and I have been in the hearing worlds since. My mom pulled me out from Pittsburgh school to attend to public school where I get the special speech therapy and mainstreamed in the classroom with other kids and no interpreters, just class notetakers.

I have told some of the people to bear with me thru videophone or webcam and my signs are very rusty and trying to improve someday.

I have married to a hearing guy and I have a hearing son. I been teaching my son some sign languages, but he kind of stop using them. :squint: And I have work for the governments and most of all my co-workers had NOOOO ideas in sign languages. I guess I am the first person is deaf in that building.

I talk, talk, talk, talk, talk nonstop.. :roll:

It depends on the person, If I have some difficulty reading the person's lips I would tell the person that I am deaf and to talk slowly and clearly, I don't need them to write it down on pieces of paper. I would rather them to learn to communicate with me by face to face. :)

My speech sounds like a monkey. I am proud myself Deaf. I do not give any shit what the hearing people think of me.

When they made fun of me. I can speak Fuck You perfectly .. They will drop dead ! :shock:

Back