Who work as autmotive techician?

Hello

Reaction score
just want to see if any deaf or hard hearing working as mechanics because i'm studying autmotive technology and will become mechanic in next two years

just want to see if any deaf or hard hearing working as mechanics because i'm studying autmotive technology and will become mechanic in next two years

I don't know any Auto Techs but I do know 2 hoh Harley Techs.

I know one as auto technican, never able to hold job long. Other works for harley shop. Been there less than a year.

I almost pursuit in this area. Decided to go other path where I am now and find myself happy where I am in.

I don't know of any myself. This might go along with your question. I have been a copier technician for past 11 years till I quit couple of months ago. Had problems with supervisor at time and got tired of how I was being treated. So since I was planning to go to college, I went ahead and quit for now and got out of business.

I know while I was growing up I would help my daddy work on cars. I still don't know that much about them but I know some. :giggle:

I'm an auto tech and diesel mechanic; I repair all my grand kids' Tonka toys. :giggle:

I'm an auto tech and diesel mechanic; I repair all my grand kids' Tonka toys. :giggle:

:giggle: That reminds me. I remember one time when I was coming back home from out of town trip to repair a copier few years ago. I was passing a semi truck. It had a trailer that was designed to carry heavy earth moving equipment. However it was empty at the time. As I was passing, I noticed that it had a Tonka truck toy strapped in the middle of trailer like it was a real thing. That was funny, had to laugh rest of the way home. :giggle:

Welcome to Automotive world! I had been in it over 30 years now and still love it and have no plan to get out of it I got motor oil in my blood !!

I believe there is, or was, a deaf and ithink blind drag racer (top fueler/alcohol) tuner in the US who tuned the engines by feel. He was highly sought after as he was so good at it.

Something I saw on TV a few years ago.

I know a deaf guy here in MD who owns his own auto shop. His garage is on his property.

I fix my own cars... both gas and diesel.. I do just about everything myself and it is nice to have a Mohawk car lift at home in the garage....I don't fix / repair cars for a living.. I'm a aircraft mechanic and fix Boeing 777 / 767's

Attachments

• 849565758_233.jpg
    849565758_233.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 15
I'm really curious....how are deaf mechanics able to pinpoint problems that hearing people can hear when there is engine trouble like for example where the valves are clicking or a transmission makes a whining sound? Do they ask their hearing co workers to hear where the problem is as an "hearing guide"? No offense but I have been wondering how they are able to do that.

I'm really curious....how are deaf mechanics able to pinpoint problems that hearing people can hear when there is engine trouble like for example where the valves are clicking or a transmission makes a whining sound? Do they ask their hearing co workers to hear where the problem is as an "hearing guide"? No offense but I have been wondering how they are able to do that.

....chuckles.... you asked a most common curiousity question...it was a good question.. but it is a easy one...... most pre 76 u can always tell the troubles out of the car by "trained" feelings as years passed by new tech stuffs come along you can diagnose the problems out of your pretty palm automotive computer hood up under the dashboard!

Valves clicking would be disgnoses with palm of hand to feel out on valves covers while run idle (about 650 to 1200 rpm) I rubbed em then can feel one of em are out of line,Secondly. for tranny problem, u can tell when you sit in the car then crank it up then feel the engine hums then shifting the tranny , then u can fell it hum differently when tranny activated you can feel the "grinding" I usually disgnosed the whinny sound of tranny got either low in fluid or low vaccum or it grinds.. I ususally use the customers as my "hearing guide", Hope that helps. it helped me to keep my customers happy for good 30 years.... chuckle...

Last edited:
Ahhhh thanks for sharing! I understand now. It's from all the experience with feeling different patterns. Aren't there some noises that deaf people can't feel but need someone to hear? When I was testing drive a car that I wanted to buy long time ago, my parent can hear the transmission whining but I can't hear it with hearing aids or feel it at all. That's one example. I didn't buy that vehicle of course LOL.

Ah... as for not being a automotive tech... as I said earlier it is a good question...as like you said from all experiences of feelings patterns like if when you bought a new car naturally you would feel bond with your new car making the habitiual feeling of your car since it was new then you will always know when something wrong with it from the habitiual feeling pattern of your car when it become something different out than your habitiual feeling...
To buy a used car my highest recommend to not buy it yourself alone and have someone else with you as your hearing guide...
this is my main reason why I usually use my customers as my hearing guide because it belong to em they knew thier car by thier habitiual feeling therefore any sounds do not mean anything that can come up within so I guess the feelings are much as important as they hear so make no differance what to feel or what to hear .... like hearing depend on thier ears as much deaf depend on the feeling ... Most hearing are pretty much "being deaf" with the feeling because they mainly focus on what they hear.... as most deaf are more senstive with the feelings so compare.. does it make any diffeance?

Yeah...that's true. I know my car so I know how it feels when it goes wrong or something like that. The funny thing when I felt something and the hearing mechanics didn't even find anything wrong with it. I told him to feel it MORE carefully and he will realize what I mean....you got a good point about that. ;)

i used to be auto techinac for Goodyear and Firestone more than 10 yrs ago.. now i just do shadetree mechianc work... and i fix my own vechiles and sometimes fix friends cars

I happen view your old thread. Did you finish or land a new job? I currently employ at the gas station as a certified ASE Master Auto Technician and licensed smog technician includes L1 certification. I've been working on the vehicles for more than 30 yrs.

I used to be a Machine Shop Mechanic and I was an assistant to help rebuild 500hp 4 cylinder Diesel Bobcat engine, repair telescoping hydraulic piston (for dumper trailer), cleaned 50 ton Baler tank at scrapyard (repairing and get 40 years old baler up and running, they're huge! It can crush car into cube), worked on 50 ton Komatstu Landscaping Bulldozer, fix and drove big Loader w/ dumpser and do welding using MIG. I held a job for 1 year and his business went south because he owe $20k loan that Company that owned Komatstu refuse to pay for repair and he took it as a collateral. I had great time driving huge 50 ton Bulldozer, It felt like a smooth sail on the land. I even got chance to drive Semi-Tractor trailer.

I realized that being a mechanic is not my thing because I always come home with dirty hand and face no matter how good I cleaned with Goop or GoJo w/ pumice because I always get myself dirty with hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, engine oil and grease.

Catty

I used to be a Machine Shop Mechanic and I was an assistant to help rebuild 500hp 4 cylinder Diesel Bobcat engine, repair telescoping hydraulic piston (for dumper trailer), cleaned 50 ton Baler tank at scrapyard (repairing and get 40 years old baler up and running, they're huge! It can crush car into cube), worked on 50 ton Komatstu Landscaping Bulldozer, fix and drove big Loader w/ dumpser and do welding using MIG. I held a job for 1 year and his business went south because he owe $20k loan that Company that owned Komatstu refuse to pay for repair and he took it as a collateral. I had great time driving huge 50 ton Bulldozer, It felt like a smooth sail on the land. I even got chance to drive Semi-Tractor trailer.

I realized that being a mechanic is not my thing because I always come home with dirty hand and face no matter how good I cleaned with Goop or GoJo w/ pumice because I always get myself dirty with hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, engine oil and grease.

Catty

That's what nitrile glove for. :)

Back