who on this sites have native americans bloods in them?

Royal, Mi'kamq is a Nation of the country up there, like the Inuit? Do you know how many Nations or tribes comprise that region?

:wave: souggy, you happen to know where in Ukraine? Are the places you mention like Chilliwack in Canada or...?

I have read some about the Metis people

I do enjoy taking part in the intertribals at the Pow Wows.

yup, while we thought we knew some part of the Eastern European side of my background, there's hidden innuendo and name changes and picture we don't know anything about, that we just started learning about from my dad's <late 70's> older sister- and then she died. My dad has been thought as being Native by Native American people on many occasions.

I have read and heard stories about the Termination policies and other of the genocide that was inflicted.

Haha... yeah... the places I mentioned are in Canada; it's important to mention where your grandparents come from because in western Canada, it's related to settlement blocks. Some towns have a large Swedish population during a certain decade; some were exclusively Dutch during a certain decade and so on.

As far as "where." Well, in the 1800s... the Ukraine was called "South Russia." I suppose it helps knowing certain things about your family... like my grandmother's lineage left "South Russia" in 1860s to 1870s. The basic information can be found here: Russian Mennonite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I suppose you can use old maps like this:

odessa5.gif

Source: The Mennonites

As far as "whereabout"... that's the hard part. The journal my great-great-great grandfather wrote was a mix of Ukrainian, Russian, Dutch and German words. The translators my family hired over time had a hard time understanding the document. As far they can understand it... they went from Russia to Prussia, traveled through the English Channel, landed in eastern Canada and went westward in promise of "free land" in Saskatchewan.

:hmm: wow that's pretty intriguing, I like geneology. Very interesting how your great-great-great grandfather wrote in the variety of languages he did - did you see or have the journal? What was it like? And the map is something too. Where did you find it?

:hmm: wow that's pretty intriguing, I like geneology. Very interesting how your great-great-great grandfather wrote in the variety of languages he did - did you see or have the journal? What was it like? And the map is something too. Where did you find it?

I googled:

"Russian Mennonite" and "University of Alberta" since I figured... Edmonton has a strong Ukrainian population, the specialty within the field of study would be found at the local university.

And the language he wrote in? Plautdietsch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you skip down to "Influences and Borrowings," you will see why it was confusing for the translators.

Now... since my grand-dad (Evans)'s side of the family has been in Canada longer...

I wonder if there's any native blood in the James Cook lineage. :hmm:

To my knowledge, I don't have native blood. However, my mother's family (1690ish if I recall correctly) has been in the USA long enough to have at least a little native blood. If there is any, it was a family secret that got forgotten.

Genealogy is a pack of dog poop.

According to my birth records my father is a white guy with German ancestry. Truth is that fool ran off to Europe to save his lands and what ever "material worth" he had over there before the U.S. got involved in the war. He disappeared in the melee and never returned.

The man whose sexual activities generated me was an outlaw Cherokee Indian on the lam from Oklahoma where he killed a white man, he said it was an accident.

According to my birth records my mother was born of a white woman whose ancestors came across the plains. Her name was May. Wrong again. Truth is that woman had a stillborn son. Went into a depressed funk and wandered around. Her profession was a nurse. She came across an Indian woman in childbirth who had been raped by a halfbreed trying to show off to his white friends. She and the baby almost died. No white doctors would treat a squaw so she saved their lives. The couple did not want the baby so May took it back to California with her and raised her as her own.

That baby was my mother.

Can't become a Mormon.... All my ancestral paperwork is bullshit.

I laugh at white people say they are "Indian" or "Native American". I'm not an Indian, and I'm not white. When I was a little kid both sides made it clear to me I was not wanted by either group.

I'm a Halfbreed -- And I like it like that. I belong to me, and no one else.

for me, it is intriguing to try to learn about my background, even if a lot of it not what we first thought, if the geneology is "wrong" if there were hurtful or difficult things in there. I think many people have a "mixed" ancestry whether they know it or not. I only know a small bit about my Jewish background, much of it was hidden due to terrible things that happened, and that I also have some Roma background and there's mostly stuff I don't know. Regardless of what I find, I still belong to me.

According to my birth records my father is a white guy with German ancestry. Truth is that fool ran off to Europe to save his lands and what ever "material worth" he had over there before the U.S. got involved in the war. He disappeared in the melee and never returned.

The man whose sexual activities generated me was an outlaw Cherokee Indian on the lam from Oklahoma where he killed a white man, he said it was an accident.

According to my birth records my mother was born of a white woman whose ancestors came across the plains. Her name was May. Wrong again. Truth is that woman had a stillborn son. Went into a depressed funk and wandered around. Her profession was a nurse. She came across an Indian woman in childbirth who had been raped by a halfbreed trying to show off to his white friends. She and the baby almost died. No white doctors would treat a squaw so she saved their lives. The couple did not want the baby so May took it back to California with her and raised her as her own.

That baby was my mother.

I laugh at white people say they are "Indian" or "Native American". I'm not an Indian, and I'm not white. When I was a little kid both sides made it clear to me I was not wanted by either group.

Heh. I like your post.

There's some doubt about Hans Graf being my ancestor or if he really was a baron. My mother didn't want to hear about it.

I trace my lineage to Christian Grove since this is the furthest back that can be verified for sure.

That baby was my mother.

You summed it better than I did.

The only thing genealogy will do is... well, at best, tell an amateur historian what culture the person grew up in-- not actual blood relatedness.

I regard myself of a mongrel breed, reason being is that my ancestry is all over the place, to start off with, I am -

1/2 Eastern Indian (don't have the colouring though) - from father
1/5 English - from both
1/5 Italian - from mother
1/5 European - from mother
1/5 Native American - from father
1/5 Dutch - from father

so a mongrel I am! :roll:

Also I've done a lot of genealogy work and it's hard, because of the relatives being far and wide and having to read different languages deciphering the ecclassical records of respective countries going back 1600's. Father's side was easy as the records were kept in one place as the country was part of the british empire for a while. But the bummer is mothers side with the commonness of the surname - Webb - it was hard finding the correct records in a haystack of Webbs!

I have Apache blood on maternal side (great-grandfather) and Iroquois on my father's side.

My family history has always been hard to track down. I did a lot of research years ago, and may try again.

I don't think anybody here are saying they are "indian" per se but by blood division, unless both of their parents are truly of indian heritage in the first place. Which is fine. I don't see anything wrong to call oneself, for example, has having 1/2 (1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/18, etc) Cherokee blood.

I don't think anybody here are saying they are "indian" per se but by blood division, unless both of their parents are truly of indian heritage in the first place. Which is fine. I don't see anything wrong to call oneself, for example, has having 1/2 (1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/18, etc) Cherokee blood.

I see you have missed the point of Berry's post.

He wasn't saying they're not Indian... but rather you can't put faith in your genealogy records. People cheat. People adopt. People falsify birth records. In some cases, baptism records are used instead of birth records. If one of your ancestors lied about who he is, how can you be sure any records prior to that one ancestor is directly your blood? For that matter, how can you prove or disprove it?

He wasn't saying they're not Indian... but rather you can't put faith in your genealogy records. People cheat. People adopt. People falsify birth records. In some cases, baptism records are used instead of birth records. If one of your ancestors lied about who he is, how can you be sure any records prior to that one ancestor is directly your blood? For that matter, how can you prove or disprove it?

I understand that. People do that all the time which is why the Cherokee Nation, for example, requires proof of documentation the lineage to get your CDIB card.

Some people's own genealogy record is solid based on reliable documentation, others are simply at best tenuous or even questionable.

Racial identity is different from a person's ancestory. I look white (very pale), and I identify as a white person. That's the culture in which I grew up. If you were too "trashy," you weren't "white." Whatever those things mean?!? My family was insecure as poor, white people. Race and class intersect.

Wanting to know about ancestry is normal. Finding out that I had a NA ancestor does not make me NA. It does give me an appreciation of how race affects our families and society.

It makes me sad that my ancestor married a white man and pretended like she wasn't NA. Like Berry mentioned, I believe that the official records are incorrect. I can have appreciation for my ancestor though. She must have been a strong woman to survive on a farm in Oklahoma and rear a large brood of kids. All women are left out of the history texts. Sometimes, we need to "resurrect" women and give them their rightful respect and honor.

Back