who on this sites have native americans bloods in them?

Racial identity is different from a person's ancestory. I look white (very pale), and I identify as a white person. That's the culture in which I grew up. If you were too "trashy," you weren't "white." Whatever those things mean?!? My family was insecure as poor, white people. Race and class intersect.

Wanting to know about ancestry is normal. Finding out that I had a NA ancestor does not make me NA. It does give me an appreciation of how race affects our families and society.

It makes me sad that my ancestor married a white man and pretended like she wasn't NA. Like Berry mentioned, I believe that the official records are incorrect. I can have appreciation for my ancestor though. She must have been a strong woman to survive on a farm in Oklahoma and rear a large brood of kids. All women are left out of the history texts. Sometimes, we need to "resurrect" women and give them their rightful respect and honor.

Well said.

It's about finding out your heritage and history. Nothing comical about blood division. My wife is 1/8 indian bloodline. It's just good to know that I am directly descended from tribes that were here first in this land as native indians.

How does your wife's 1/8 bloodline translate to you being descended from Native American tribes?

Genealogy is a pack of dog poop.

According to my birth records my father is a white guy with German ancestry. Truth is that fool ran off to Europe to save his lands and what ever "material worth" he had over there before the U.S. got involved in the war. He disappeared in the melee and never returned.

The man whose sexual activities generated me was an outlaw Cherokee Indian on the lam from Oklahoma where he killed a white man, he said it was an accident.

According to my birth records my mother was born of a white woman whose ancestors came across the plains. Her name was May. Wrong again. Truth is that woman had a stillborn son. Went into a depressed funk and wandered around. Her profession was a nurse. She came across an Indian woman in childbirth who had been raped by a halfbreed trying to show off to his white friends. She and the baby almost died. No white doctors would treat a squaw so she saved their lives. The couple did not want the baby so May took it back to California with her and raised her as her own.

That baby was my mother.

Can't become a Mormon.... All my ancestral paperwork is bullshit.

I laugh at white people say they are "Indian" or "Native American". I'm not an Indian, and I'm not white. When I was a little kid both sides made it clear to me I was not wanted by either group.

I'm a Halfbreed -- And I like it like that. I belong to me, and no one else.

With African American, Jewish, and Irish making up my heritage, I identify as multi-ethnic when pressed. Otherwise, it's "other".

I got interested in researching my family's genealogy mostly because there was so little information - and lots of secrets. Want to find out a bunch of stuff? Go to a family funeral or wedding. Secrets and gossip!

My Dad never talks about family past - and it's fraught with "stories" that seem made up. I know many family names got changed at Ellis Island - but I never got a straight story of why my Dad's name is spelled different from his family's.

Found out my grandmother on my mother's side had 10 kids - but 3 of them have a different father. Try finding that in the birth records or census records. Nope.

And the denial of things! My father's family comes from Germany - but DARE mention any Jewish ancestry - wrong move. On my mother's side, I only heard whispers "of course he drank heavily - like all indians". Geesh.

Still, I find it interesting. I'm who I am no matter what, but I find it all fascinating.

I got interested in researching my family's genealogy mostly because there was so little information - and lots of secrets. Want to find out a bunch of stuff? Go to a family funeral or wedding. Secrets and gossip!

My Dad never talks about family past - and it's fraught with "stories" that seem made up. I know many family names got changed at Ellis Island - but I never got a straight story of why my Dad's name is spelled different from his family's.

Found out my grandmother on my mother's side had 10 kids - but 3 of them have a different father. Try finding that in the birth records or census records. Nope.

And the denial of things! My father's family comes from Germany - but DARE mention any Jewish ancestry - wrong move. On my mother's side, I only heard whispers "of course he drank heavily - like all indians". Geesh.

Still, I find it interesting. I'm who I am no matter what, but I find it all fascinating.

Oh, yeah! Wakes are a great place to get the real stories!:giggle:

Racial identity is different from a person's ancestory. I look white (very pale), and I identify as a white person. That's the culture in which I grew up. If you were too "trashy," you weren't "white." Whatever those things mean?!? My family was insecure as poor, white people. Race and class intersect.

Wanting to know about ancestry is normal. Finding out that I had a NA ancestor does not make me NA. It does give me an appreciation of how race affects our families and society.

It makes me sad that my ancestor married a white man and pretended like she wasn't NA. Like Berry mentioned, I believe that the official records are incorrect. I can have appreciation for my ancestor though. She must have been a strong woman to survive on a farm in Oklahoma and rear a large brood of kids. All women are left out of the history texts. Sometimes, we need to "resurrect" women and give them their rightful respect and honor.
:gpost:

I think it's quite probable I have African, NA and Jewish blood in my family but since i was not raised in any of the NA nations nor did I live in a black neighborhood and I grew up Southern Baptist, I don't id as any of above.

I don't know if I'll ever find out for sure cuz when I even hint at anything other than white in my family, people in my family get upset and these are the ones who know more about my family's history than anyone esle.

Something my dad said years ago about his family makes me think my great grandfather's family prolly straddled the line between respectable and being poor white trash. He doesn't want to talk about it.

Secrets, secrets. On all sides.

Many Jewish people, Irish too, and others, kept their true blood lines a secret. And why not? When you escape persecution in one place you don't seek it out in another.

My mother never revealed herself to outsiders as "Indian": she always claimed what was tolerated, be it Italian, French, whatever. She was a Free Jack. She could pass for almost anything and did.

And the culture you identify with -- and why.

An ancestor of mine, several greats back, was kidnapped by some whites and sold on the slave block in the south. After a few years she came wandering back into the tribe. She knew the way, but she was weak, and talked two big strong black slaves into escaping with her -- Promising them membership in the tribe, which I understand was no problem at the time.

What is not talked about is that she was traveling, and in hiding, with these two men for months, maybe a year or more.

How much you wanna bet one of them is my great great great grand pa?

I have some white cultural aspects, though I don't identify as white, and I definitely have some NA cultural aspects as many of my beliefs are based on those I was raised with. Now my best friend was CODA so you can toss some Deaf Cultural identity in there too. I also had an honorary aunt an uncle who were Irish, complete with brogue. So toss in a dab of the old sod.

But I also share some Black cultural aspects and identity, and not just because when I was young I lived in a predominantly Black neighborhood. Not just because this is where I learned to dance and play pool and hang out, but because one of my ancestors was a slave too.

Gives a guy pause for thought, and a slightly different slant on the world.

yeah, I agree lots of secrets in families, Berry. My grandma on my dad's side, who was from Kiev<that much, we know - about that line only> always refused to discuss how she made it here when she was 13.
has anyone read that book, Slaves in the Family by somebody "Ball"? Reminds me of this topic.

Since it goes back to my maternal grandmother's grandmother, I tell people I have a "thin trickle" of Cherokee.

i am mixed with native american,whites,jewish,german,and black bloods,but i am a black-american mixed different races in me, and also my last name is german and a lot of people ask me how a black person a german last like mine,well my respond is that i don't know at all.

i am mixed with native american,whites,jewish,german,and black bloods,but i am a black-american mixed different races in me, and also my last name is german and a lot of people ask me how a black person a german last like mine,well my respond is that i don't know at all.

In your position I would not be able to resist replying, "What? You've never heard of German Chocolate before?"

I have some Native American blood in me from my Biological Father side, and his family. I had people telling me that I look part Indian.... that's because I am. I can easily look like one, enspeically in the summer if I get so tan and it matches with my dark brown eyes and brown hair.

He wasn't saying they're not Indian... but rather you can't put faith in your genealogy records. People cheat. People adopt. People falsify birth records. In some cases, baptism records are used instead of birth records. If one of your ancestors lied about who he is, how can you be sure any records prior to that one ancestor is directly your blood? For that matter, how can you prove or disprove it?

My grandmother was born on a reservation...unless she lied.

My hubby is black with German bloodlines..it is more common than you think.

Back