Who gave you your sign name?

Thanks, DeafDoc1!

And thanks, Bottesini! I knew about shark, but I had to look up bastard. Pretty funny to think about though -- an ignorant mom naming her son Bastard! Hilarious!

I'll have him keep it above his head, not touching his face.

Thanks for the heads-up and the chuckle!

Dawn

I am glad to give you a laugh. And also glad I told you since you did not get upset. :)

I still don't have a sign name. I must ask my friends for one. We have discussed this many time but got sidetracked and didn't finish the convo with them.

I still don't have a sign name. I must ask my friends for one. We have discussed this many time but got sidetracked and didn't finish the convo with the,

You actually forgot to finish your sentence here, too. :hmm:

If you were in US I would name you L with "forgetful".

Nah you cant call me forgetful since it was a spelling error :giggle:

I wish I had a fabulous name sign but my mom merely signed the word "m" as if saying toilet :P but apparently it was to resemble "emergency" since I always ended up in the hospital as a trouble-making kid ;)

In Fremont, they signed the word "m" while touching a cheek because of my dimple. Never liked that name sign, nor my dimple :P

My CODA friend, I forget his English birth name, was called "Need spank" by his parents.

I got my first name sign while I was at the deaf school. By the time I got to.... maybe 8th grade, I gave myself a new name sign, and nowadays more local deaf people are using that instead of my first one. The first one was a common name sign, very boring, didn't even say anything about me. My current one, has to do with computers since I'm a computer geek and yeah.

I wish I had a fabulous name sign but my mom merely signed the word "m" as if saying toilet :P but apparently it was to resemble "emergency" since I always ended up in the hospital as a trouble-making kid ;)

In Fremont, they signed the word "m" while touching a cheek because of my dimple. Never liked that name sign, nor my dimple :P

*blanches* dude... I think we have the same sign. I was told that mine is temporary until my friends find one that better suits my personality lol.

:ty:im from austalia. my sign name is 'balance' given to me by my classmates n teachers while learning Auslan2. Its bcoz i have a libra sign tattoo on my outer wrist, so thats where they got it from coz the libra symbol is a balancing scale, coincidently i also have a balance problem so i think my sign name really suits me lol:ty:

hmmm, if I could choose a sign name for myself, it would be quiet lol

my parents gave me a sign name, and they're hearing. i abandoned the sign name when i was in 5th or 6th grade.. it was too cheesy, it was a heart shape on the torso with my first initial. yuck! my name is just fingerspelled now.

I actually got to choose. :) Being the only American in my local deaf circles, the first automatic and obvious nick was the local sign for American (thumb against temples, wave with first and second fingers). But I didn't really like it because I don't like being referred to as "the foreigner" all the time. The next one that came was the sign for "beer" because it's my last name too...finally another friend said "naaah," and dubbed me "v-moving-up-on-the-chin" because of my little beard there. I hope it doesn't mean something bad in some other sign language. :) (I met a big hulk of a guy at the Association, asked his sign name, and it just happened to be the same as the ASL sign for "lesbian." I didn't tell him.) ;)

Isn't "vagina" the same word in Spanish? I think these parents may have knowingly named their kid "Vagina."

I think this is actually an urban legend; it gets told about several different ethnicities or origins. The common thread is "ignorant foreigner names kid something embarassing." I've heard the version where the couple wanted to name their girl the "most beautiful world" they'd ever heard in English. On TV. It was "Diarrhea." :P

On the other hand, Frank Zappa did names his daughter "Moon Unit" and his son "Dweezil" so who's to say what's true!:D

just got one last nite.

motorcycle sign. make A-sign and then repeatedly rotate it like you're riding motorcycle (just one hand). This sign is similar as YES-sign. just don't do it too much... you'll risk hurting your wrist :lol:

My ASL instructor gave me a J sign over my chest, since I had a propensity to wear v-neck shirts that showed my cleavage! :roll:

Back