Who gave you your sign name?

nope

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a rude question or I've posted it in the wrong section, but I was wondering who gave you your sign name (or names?)? Of my friends, all have received their sign names from their friends, but they are either other ASL students or deaf people whose families don't sign -- so, their friends who signed were the only people who could have given them sign names. Who typically gives sign names?

Sorry for so many questions, but do people have a different name sign for each group of friends that they have or each different Deaf Community they get involved in?

Thanks! I was just curious and my friends couldn't answer my questions :)

I don't have an official sign name as of yet. I just finger spell CJ.

Sign names are traditionally assigned to a person by a deaf person. Otherwise, you should fingerspell your name, unless a deaf person has given you a sign name.

To answer the question, my son gave me my sign name.

So a deaf child wouldn't be given a sign name by his or her hearing parents even if they signed?

Eveytime I go into a new deaf community, I wait until someone give me a name. So far, I got about four or five name signs. Waiting for the local deaf community here to give me one. :p

Now, there is a way of naming mainstreamed kids solely for identification purpose by hearing educators, but I won't mention it here.

My name is given by my grandmother, (deaf). It got an added prefix of "Smart" by my almost three year old granddaughter, (hearing, but my greatest sign student of the moment).

So I am now known as "Smart Elf", which may be an odd name, but I feel loved.

So I got half my name from Deaf and half my name from Hearing, but they are all family.

My name is given by my grandmother, (deaf). It got an added prefix of "Smart" by my almost three year old granddaughter, (hearing, but my greatest sign student of the moment).

So I am now known as "Smart Elf", which may be an odd name, but I feel loved.

So I got half my name from Deaf and half my name from Hearing, but they are all family.

That is completely awesome and you should definitely feel loved! Thank you for sharing the sweet story - it had me smiling like an idiot in the middle of the quiet, serious library :)

Eveytime I go into a new deaf community, I wait until someone give me a name. So far, I got about four or five name signs. Waiting for the local deaf community here to give me one. :p

I thought maybe that was the case, but I wasn't sure. There isn't much of a Deaf Community where I live right now so there is no one to ask - that's why you guys are so wonderful!
So when you introduce yourself to a new Deaf Community, you just fingerspell your name instead of signing your previous sign name, correct?

I got my sign name from my Deaf friend from the mainstream high school and she gave me almost the right one but not the exact sign name. Then later I went to the Deaf school to visit for a football game and I used my sign name for introduction and a Deaf person asked me if I am a twin which I am not. So I had to correct the right sign name, not for twin. :lol:

There was another girl with the same first name as I, so all the girls on the dorm floor at school, (4th), gave me my sign name, using my first and last name letter. I had to change the last name letter when I got married, but still old friends use my old sign name.

So a deaf child wouldn't be given a sign name by his or her hearing parents even if they signed?

Traditionally, and according to cultural norms of the deaf, sign names are not given by the hearing to the deaf, nor from hearing to hearing.

I thought maybe that was the case, but I wasn't sure. There isn't much of a Deaf Community where I live right now so there is no one to ask - that's why you guys are so wonderful!
So when you introduce yourself to a new Deaf Community, you just fingerspell your name instead of signing your previous sign name, correct?

Yes. If someone then asks you for your sign name, you can explain that you haven't been given one yet. Chances are, you will receive one before long after that. So much more convenient than fingerspelling someone's name every time you make a reference to them.

My sign language interpreter gave me a sign name of the letter C on hand, because I used to write on my hand "I heart... " during high school :lol: But, I don't use that sign name anymore I invented my own signing name. ;)

It was given to me by a good friend of mine who is deaf of course
its the sign for flower but with a v handshape. (because violet is a flower) :) not tooo exciting but i love it! :)

open "5" hand, thumb on chin, then quick "n"
It means mama nan, who gave me? everybody and I mean everybody. Even myspace reflects it. It was my nickname when I was 17. (I was the only one who would cook). Then when I lost my hearing, first terp (coda) gave me same nickname/sign name. It stuck!
So, officially, a CODA gave me a name I already had.... hmmm....maybe I need a new name? Many folks just spell it, it is only three letters.

My older (hearing) brother gave me my sign name. Our parents are deaf and use ASL and we're 2 years apart. My father tells me that when I was a baby that whenever he (my brother) heard me crying he would use the letter "R" and sign CRY and point to where-ever I was... my parents instantly knew it was me he was talking about and the sign stuck.
I personally would prefer adopting my father's sign name of "P" drawn across the chest as he used to play football for the Tennessee School for the Deaf way back when. But of course my chest isnt' as broad as his (was). Ah well.

It was given to me by a good friend of mine who is deaf of course.

Same with me. I actually am on sign name number two. The first one she gave me, I kept several years. However, I never really liked it to begin with so she was nice enough to come up with another one which I like alot better. :)

Weird, i have not been given the sign name. Remind you that I grew up in the Deaf school by most of hearing teachers who just learned sign and worked there or by Hearing nun teachers until I was in High school. I first had a Deaf teacher who was teaching math only. But She had lots of issues with Hearing people that made her so bitter for some reasons. I wish I could go back and talk to her and find out about it because She graduated from Gallaudet. Anyone call me my name in a fingerspelling initial only. Some guys do pick on me and suggest me to use my name on cheek or ear or a form of facial since I am such a vain! hehe But sign name wasn't kept.

so I have no sign name. :) I am ok with it.

Last edited:
I was given my sign name by a Deaf friend. I had asked another person(Deaf), one I greatly respected, and he asked for time to consider it based on my personality, physical traits, etc. I waited and waited, but he never responded. Another new friend and I were out with a group of hearing/terp friends. She asked me a lot of questions about myself and also asked my friends. After a few times together, she gave me an initialized sign that touches from my chin to my heart. She said it's because the things I say touch people's hearts. I am truly honored. I love it.

Back