Whitening

Loghead

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done anything to whiten their teeth? Perhaps tried some over-the-counter methods?

I'm asking because I'm about to undergo bleaching. I have naturally yellow enamel, and it's always bugged me... It's an image thing. It's going to cost approximately $380 (includes dental appointments, mould, bleach, etc.). I'm excited... Has anyone ever done this before?

Yes. I think it was worth it. Results don't last forever, but for the money, it was worth it.

OTC - I never have the patience to stick with the program long enough. The dentist's office is more expensive, but more effective.

I used Crest whitening strips. It worked but my teeth hurt afterwards.

Just to warn you, there is a good chance your teeth may become very sensitive after the bleaching.

Yes. I think it was worth it. Results don't last forever, but for the money, it was worth it.

OTC - I never have the patience to stick with the program long enough. The dentist's office is more expensive, but more effective.

I was told that with this option I would be having to bleach my teeth every couple of years. Would you agree with that statement? $380 every two or three years to have a smile that "tings" seems worth it to me.

I was told that with this option I would be having to bleach my teeth every couple of years. Would you agree with that statement? $380 every two or three years to have a smile that "tings" seems worth it to me.
A dentist would better advise you on that.

Interesting thread.

I don't know about the "have to" part. What are your habits? If you smoke, yes. If you drink a lot of coffee or tea, maybe. If you're just vain...:lol:

Well, I kid. I've only had it done twice by a dentist, several years apart. I don't smoke, don't drink much coffee, do drink colas, drink no-caffeine green and white tea rather than black tea. "Have to" is a personal preference thing. My teeth are white enough to suit me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it again, but it's not high on the priority list right now.

I've had the professional treatment (years ago), and I've used the Crest at-home strips. They both worked. The strips are cheaper and more convenient for me. I might get another professional treatment later. I have some other dental work I want to get done first. (60-yr-old teeth and gums, ya know)

If your teeth/gums feel sensitive, you can use Sensodyne toothpaste for a while.

I would recommend whitening the first time with the dentist. That way, if you do have any problems or sensitivities, the dentist will know what to do. Also, the custom trays that they use give you better coverage than strips do.

I would recommend whitening the first time with the dentist. That way, if you do have any problems or sensitivities, the dentist will know what to do. Also, the custom trays that they use give you better coverage than strips do.

That makes a lot of sense. I like the fact that the procedure will be monitored by a professional for the first time.

It depends. If you are removing stains, then they will recur and you will have to re-bleach. If you are whitening a naturally yellow enamel, you won't have to re-bleach that often because the enamel does not re-pigment. However, it will be a bit more porous and will pick up some stains easier.

It depends. If you are removing stains, then they will recur and you will have to re-bleach. If you are whitening a naturally yellow enamel, you won't have to re-bleach that often because the enamel does not re-pigment. However, it will be a bit more porous and will pick up some stains easier.
Doesn't some of this relate to what the stains are caused by? Tea drinking, for instance...

My brother who is a heavy smoker tends to brush with baking soda once a day. That keep the tar of the cigarettes off his teeth. I also use baking soda once a day. I have been advised to not use and whitening solution as I am very allergic to bleach.

Baking soda is a good idea.

More generally, it's surprising how many products we buy (including toothpaste, also including many fancy moisturizers and facial products, plus household cleansers, etc.) can be replaced by simple, cheap products we already have around the house - like baking soda, a touch of Vaseline or cold cream for cleaning/moisturizing, white vinegar for cleaning the sinks, etc.)

I bet a lot of these whitening products are really no better than baking soda used regularly, as a good example. My dentist also told me that a gargle with salt water is just as good as using Listerine.

My brother who is a heavy smoker tends to brush with baking soda once a day. That keep the tar of the cigarettes off his teeth. I also use baking soda once a day. I have been advised to not use and whitening solution as I am very allergic to bleach.

Baking soda is very healthy to brush with. It is great for preventing periodontal disease, too, because it removes plaque so efficiently.

Back