White privilege

before we were going over about some books, also anything by the late Vine Deloria Jr. I have enjoyed.

white privilege is also about redlining....areas where certain people, including Jews, were strongly encouraged or outright told to live, in U.S. Before I was born, White privilege has enabled people perceived as white to get jobs and develop financial and other achievements that were closed to others due to race or ethnic background.

and these countries are...?

Fetch it.

Use Google, Bing, Yahoo, whatever gets you excited. And take your pick. The most racist. The most bigoted. The most prejudiced. The most anti-Semetic. The most...whatever and so on. Usually these countries tend to be broken down on the amount of diversity of ethnic groups than compared to those with much less diversity who take prejudice to a much more extreme level.

Good luck! Maybe start with your own native country if you wish.

One of the symptoms of white privilege is that a white person becomes defensive when white privilege is discussed. Often, the white person will go into denial. That's a normal human reaction.

Fetch it.

Use Google, Bing, Yahoo, whatever gets you excited. And take your pick. The most racist. The most bigoted. The most prejudiced. The most anti-Semetic. The most...whatever and so on. Usually these countries tend to be broken down on the amount of diversity of ethnic groups than compared to those with much less diversity who take prejudice to a much more extreme level.

Why are you playing this game? If u know of any countries, list them.

Why are you playing this game? If u know of any countries, list them.

pst pst. because he doesn't really know and he wants us to spoon-feed it to him :giggle:

One of the symptoms of white privilege is that a white person becomes defensive when white privilege is discussed. Often, the white person will go into denial. That's a normal human reaction.

:gpost:

Fetch it.

ah yes..... I figured. A flawed process. I knew it.

before we were going over about some books, also anything by the late Vine Deloria Jr. I have enjoyed.

white privilege is also about redlining....areas where certain people, including Jews, were strongly encouraged or outright told to live, in U.S. Before I was born, White privilege has enabled people perceived as white to get jobs and develop financial and other achievements that were closed to others due to race or ethnic background.

I read Red Earth, White Lies by Deloria years ago. Many Native Americans do not think their ancestors migrated to USA via the land bridge but rather that they came here by transoceanic travel or that they may have orginated in America.

I

There are real and imagined "white priveleges." It's a worthy discussion here, no doubt. The problem is that people want to use that as a their source of guilt to perpetually self-flaggelate themselves to no end. That's when it becomes a problem. Right, Sally? There are problems here in the United States, indeed, but it isn't an exclusive and unique set of problems only to the United States when it comes to "white privileges."

addendum: Also, the U.S. isn't the only country full of caucasian people, either. You should already know that.

pst pst. because he doesn't really know and he wants us to spoon-feed it to him :giggle:

Ignorancy shouldn't be an excuse. Google is your friend. Maybe it's Bing, now? Like I said, take your pick (ie. most bigoted, most prejudiced, etc). I've already bookmarked several surveys and research results. It's up to you to decide how to approach it and which country to start with.

I don't totally agree with all of this. With today's technology there is no need to follow anyone around in a store. There are cameras everywhere. And if statistics prove that most in store crimes are committed by Irish people then would it be wrong for store owners to keep a closer eye on them? (no offense to the Irish) And if a black store owner thinks a black customer is suspicious and chooses to keep an eye on them, there is nothing wrong with that. Or a black store owner with a white or Hispanic or Asian customer. Mix and match however you wish.

I live in the Chicago area and there are blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Muslims and everything in between. We live in the same communities, we work together, we shop together we ride the elevators together we take our families to the same restaurants and I don't see anyone is afraid or clutching their purse tightly just because there are people of other races in the same room.

There are laws that prevent lenders from discriminating. Gone through a home loan process lately? Maybe this kind of stuff happens in less diverse populations or rural areas. :dunno: I am not saying there is no racism or prejudice out there because there is and it comes from all sides. Not just from white people.

There are real and imagined "white priveleges." It's a worthy discussion here, no doubt. The problem is that people want to use that as a their source of guilt to perpetually self-flaggelate themselves to no end. That's when it becomes a problem. Right, Sally? There are problems here in the United States, indeed, but it isn't an exclusive and unique set of problems only to the United States when it comes to "white privileges."

addendum: Also, the U.S. isn't the only country full of caucasian people, either. You should already know that.

you do know that we're mainly talking about white privilege in America? We cannot comment on other countries since we are not citizens of those countries. Quite majority of us are Americans so....... cool?

No, the slave status in the U.S. was unique. That's what made it so brutal.

RACISM AND THE LOSS OF STATUS AND PROSPECTS
The status of slaves in America was different to that of those in Africa and Europe. In ancient times a slave in North Africa, Greece or Rome, or in Arab countries, could rise to a position of public prominence. Women might marry into the ruling class.

No slaves married their masters or mistresses in the Americas, although there were secret relationships, usually forced upon the slave. Whether badly or well treated, slaves were, in American society at large, marked out and despised for the colour of their skin, and so were their descendants.

excerpt from The Story of Africa| BBC World Service

I'm not the one who is making excuses for my country. I'm not defensive. I'm stating simple facts. You're the one who is defensive. You protest so much because you have privilege.

Do not tell me what I should know. I have posted information that you clearly do not grasp repeatedly. You don't even acknowledge the facts which are clearly substantiated.

Regarding U.S. and slavery, I am qualified to speak on the subject because I am certified to teach secondary history, including American history, and my main emphasis in my upper level courses is history of the South.

Ignorancy shouldn't be an excuse.
and you're telling me a thing or two about ignorance? that's comical.... coming from a man who worships Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. btw - Ignorancy is not an actual word. c'mon... I thought English is your first language. I pray that you didn't study English from urban dictionary....

Google is your friend. Maybe it's Bing, now? Like I said, take your pick (ie. most bigoted, most prejudiced, etc). I've already bookmarked several surveys and research results. It's up to you to decide how to approach it and which country to start with.

surveys and research results? yep I thought so. Library and college are my best friends, my buddy. Definitely not google or bing. Moreover - my life experience and my friendships with people of all races, genders, and age - something that you can't research with google or bing. To understand this.... you'll have to do a good ole' fashioned way - talk to people :)

There's really no point for me to continue debating with you on this since you seem to think you know this subject pretty well. You're a Caucasian man living in this Caucasian-dominated country. What do I know? silly me.... You win. here's a chocolate gold medal :aw:

I don't totally agree with all of this. With today's technology there is no need to follow anyone around in a store. There are cameras everywhere. And if statistics prove that most in store crimes are committed by Irish people then would it be wrong for store owners to keep a closer eye on them? (no offense to the Irish) And if a black store owner thinks a black customer is suspicious and chooses to keep an eye on them, there is nothing wrong with that. Or a black store owner with a white or Hispanic or Asian customer. Mix and match however you wish.

I live in the Chicago area and there are blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Muslims and everything in between. We live in the same communities, we work together, we shop together we ride the elevators together we take our families to the same restaurants and I don't see anyone is afraid or clutching their purse tightly just because there are people of other races in the same room.

There are laws that prevent lenders from discriminating. Gone through a home loan process lately? Maybe this kind of stuff happens in less diverse populations or rural areas. :dunno: I am not saying there is no racism or prejudice out there because there is and it comes from all sides. Not just from white people.

that's the thing. yes there are laws that criminalize discrimination but how? How can you arrest someone of discriminating people when there is no tangible proof?

No, the slave status in the U.S. was unique. That's what made it so brutal.

excerpt from The Story of Africa| BBC World Service

I'm not the one who is making excuses for my country. I'm not defensive. I'm stating simple facts. You're the one who is defensive. You protest so much because you have privilege.

Do not tell me what I should know. I have posted information that you clearly do not grasp repeatedly. You don't even acknowledge the facts which are clearly substantiated.

Regarding U.S. and slavery, I am qualified to speak on the subject because I am certified to teach secondary history, including American history, and my main emphasis in my upper level courses is history of the South.

Slavery was very common back then and not unique to the United States. Slavery is an old, old trade tool going back thousands of years. We still have slavery problems even today in many countries. Even here in the United States through bondage, which is illegal, it is still problematic in places.

History of SLAVERY

Free the Slaves - Home

and you're telling me a thing or two about ignorance? that's comical.... coming from a man who worships Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. btw - Ignorancy is not an actual word. c'mon... I thought English is your first language. I pray that you didn't study English from urban dictionary....

surveys and research results? yep I thought so. Library and college are my best friends, my buddy. Definitely not google or bing. Moreover - my life experience and my friendships with people of all races, genders, and age - something that you can't research with google or bing. To understand this.... you'll have to do a good ole' fashioned way - talk to people :)

There's really no point for me to continue debating with you on this since you seem to think you know this subject pretty well. You're a Caucasian man living in this Caucasian-dominated country. What do I know? silly me.... You win. here's a chocolate gold medal :aw:

Hey, like I said, Google is your friend where it connects you to journals, research articles and so on. The info are out there. Sure, talking to people helps though not exactly a mean to an end.

Hey, like I said, Google is your friend where it connects you to journals, research articles and so on.
I don't go to google for that. I go to academic database. :) If your first stop is google for everything..... oh boy..... we're in deep shit :-o

The info are out there.
yes... many people look for it in wrong place

Sure, talking to people helps though not exactly a mean to an end.
and how were journals and research articles produced? by talking to people to illicit information. :) I don't know about you but if somebody was able to do that without talking to people... and getting it off strictly from computer... that's... amazing.

Back