I would choose

• the deaf teacher who is not highly qualified

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • the hearing teacher who is highly qualified

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • I dont know

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
My big issue is that we, teachers, are constantly being told that one size doesn't fit all but yet the tests to determine whether we should or shouldn't be teaching is one size.

This testing reminds me a job that my husband tried to apply for. You see, My husband was a tech and consumer support for many years and dealt with many people on the phone (including deaf people like myself) and wanted a change of a job. So he apply to this job... But there was one problem, They had a computerized testing to see if he is qualify for customer service. This test had a headphone and he had to listen. Well He failed it somehow and he wanted to talk to human resource explaining his problem and show them that he is qualified for the job. They told him, "nope, we can't do anything about it unless you pass the test. Come back again in 3 (or is it 5?) years"

he was like forget this! Well guess what, His current job kept promoting him because he is good at what he does and they felt he had the best consumer service and such. They are making him learn programming too. I asked him if he would ever apply to that job again. He said "nope, it's ridiculous what they are doing" That job did not give people a chance to prove themselves

I can totally relate. Several subparts of the Praxis is about phonics of English so I had to do a lot of guesswork on those parts to the best of my ability.

These tests like the one your husband couldn't take and the Praxis I are so biased.

I agree with the Praxis II tests..they really do correctly measure our qualifications. Unfortunately, to become considered highly qualified, one must pass the Praxis I as well. That test has nothing to do with teaching so it doesn't make sense.

On the Praxis I test, the subpart with the commas was on the college level. Why should I have to pass mastery of where all the commas goes in a reference essay?

I am not knowledgeable about chemistry but in December I will have to teach 5th grade chemistry. What I do, like a good teacher does, I review the curriculm and teach myself the info about chemistry that I am not familiar with.

Do you expect a teacher to know EVERYTHING from the elementary level to the college level in all subject areas?

That is what the Praxis I test on. College level math, algebra, geomentry, physics, poetry, phonics, and etc. It is mind boggling. It is not a fair test.

The Praxis II is a very fair test as it measures our knowledge in the field we teach in.

If teachers are expected to be experts in ALLLLLL fields, then we should make over $100K.

I guess I don't understand how so many teachers pass it if it is impossible.

My big issue is that we, teachers, are constantly being told that one size doesn't fit all but yet the tests to determine whether we should or shouldn't be teaching is one size.

Of course one size doesn't fit all, but the test is the very MINIMUM that is to be allowed. Teachers should pass the test as the very first step, and then they should be judged as to fitness to teach in areas like class control, creativity and all the other things. The test should just be step one, and just because you DO pass the test, does not mean you should be teaching.

Of course one size doesn't fit all, but the test is the very MINIMUM that is to be allowed. Teachers should pass the test as the very first step, and then they should be judged as to fitness to teach in areas like class control, creativity and all the other things. The test should just be step one, and just because you DO pass the test, does not mean you should be teaching.

What if theteacher possesses all these skills u mentioned but has test anxiety or doesn't understand the phonics part of the test because he/she is deaf?

What if theteacher possesses all these skills u mentioned but has test anxiety or doesn't understand the phonics part of the test because he/she is deaf?

What if everyone who fails claims they have test anxiety? They need to have a minimum qualification level, and it is the test.

I can totally relate. Several subparts of the Praxis is about phonics of English so I had to do a lot of guesswork on those parts to the best of my ability.

These tests like the one your husband couldn't take and the Praxis I are so biased.

I agree with the Praxis II tests..they really do correctly measure our qualifications. Unfortunately, to become considered highly qualified, one must pass the Praxis I as well. That test has nothing to do with teaching so it doesn't make sense.

I know I would fail that job's test miserably, but it doesn't mean I can't be consumer service for the deaf (It was a car insurance company, btw). Discrimination, I say!

Some of the worst teachers I know are deaf, and the best teachers I know are hearing.

Here is this scenario..

Your deaf child attends a deaf school and you are given an option to choose between two teachers...

One is deaf, fluent in ASL, English is ok but that person has always been able to motivate relunctant learners with creative ideas and fun activities. That person has been able to improve student test scores. One problem...that person is not highly qualified under NCLB standards due to his/her written English being not on that level but has scored within 5 points of passin the Praxis and has been taking the test over and over again, only to fail by <5 points and test-taking anxiety.

One is hearing, signs more SEE, has a history of bad classroom management, kids get unmotivated with his/her lessons and perform poorly due to boredom and the teacher's inability to adjust to meet their learning styles. However, that teacher is highly qualified under NCLB standards and very skilled at taking any kind of test under pressure.

Which would you pick and why?

The reason I brought this up is because it is happening to a lot of people I know. Many people who have a passion for teaching end up leaving the teaching field because of this test and society's judgement on their skills based on this one test.

It is a big concern of mine for the future of Deaf education.

How about neither? I'm willing to home school my kids or send them off to a private school. Whatever offers a better quality of education.

Back