Which to buy Laptop for travelling

dude

Reaction score
Hi Sir / Madam,

I am using web design, photography and video editing for travelling. the weight have to be less than 2.4kg. which laptop do you recommend me to buy?

thanks for helping
cheers
Dude

MacBook Air
mbpro_applesfera_delante.jpg

World's thinnest laptop, it weights only 3 pounds, maximum battery is 5 hours, and cost about $1,700, and another option is $3,000.

It is coming out in two weeks from now.

Source: MacBook Air

my MacBook is only 2.27kg and it's pretty cheap, for just $1,099.

MacBook Air
mbpro_applesfera_delante.jpg

World's thinnest laptop, it weights only 3 pounds, maximum battery is 5 hours, and cost about $1,700, and another option is $3,000.

It is coming out in two weeks from now.

Source: MacBook Air

This pic where you posted was wrong, it was rumored picture.

Serious Mac users would prefer the Mac Pro over the Air.

:lol:

That MacBook Air looks sooo awesome, saw on the News last night ;)

And why's that?

Either MacBook or MacBook Pro is what I would recommend. The reason why I am not too thrilled with MacBook Air is because it lacks an optical drive (CD/DVD reader/writer). You can buy a superdrive (CD/DVD writer) for $99 but you would have to plug it in an USB port. What if you travel and forget the accessory at home?

An optical drive is a MUST for me.

Not only that, the battery is non-user replaceable meaning you will have to send it to Apple to get it done. It's the same with iPods.

So, I wouldn't recommend MacBook Air.

Either MacBook or MacBook Pro is what I would recommend. The reason why I am not too thrilled with MacBook Air is because it lacks an optical drive (CD/DVD reader/writer). You can buy a superdrive (CD/DVD writer) for $99 but you would have to plug it in an USB port. What if you travel and forget the accessory at home?

Not only that, the battery is non-user replaceable meaning you will have to send it to Apple to get it done. It's the same with iPods.

Ahh, I understand the situation. I can see the difference. Thanks, Banjo. ;)

I have more cons than pros about MacBook Air because of slower HDD with ATA (IDE), slower CPU than MacBook, no FireWire port and charge an extra for superdrive, remote control and external ethernet USB.

I would pick MacBook or MacBook Pro over MacBook Air.

Wait til Apple would make better slimmer laptop in near future to get all fits.

I have more cons than pros about MacBook Air because of slower HDD with ATA (IDE), slower CPU than MacBook, no FireWire port and charge an extra for superdrive, remote control and external ethernet USB.

I would pick MacBook or MacBook Pro over MacBook Air.

Wait til Apple would make better slimmer laptop in near future to get all fits.

Pretty soon, iMac laptop will have optional flashdrive instead of ATA hdd. So keep eye open.

i would like add..

It come with just one USB and one micro-DVI and audio. It's not enough when there is second USB that need to plug up. Another accessories, more hassel. It would be great for someone who is simple use for addict wireless as road-warrior. Who know?

Pretty soon, iMac laptop will have optional flashdrive instead of ATA hdd. So keep eye open.

:confused:

At first, iMac is consumer desktop and it has been on market for 10 years and very doubtful that Jobs would pick the name, that's looks weird to call "iMac Laptop", there's laptop version of iMac is called iBook, that was introduced in 1999 then Apple was changed to MacBook for consumer laptop and PowerBook into MacBook Pro for professional laptop, also same for gaming and graphic design laptop due lacking of dedicated graphic chipset in MacBook, unlike iBook, iBook does contain dedicated graphic chipset and it's ok for games. There's no name calling "iMac Laptop" but there's between MacBook and MacBook Pro are laptop version of iMac.

Flash drive like SSD is very expensive now, I doubt that Apple will goes to SSD by default for many years until SSD getting cheaper in next 10+ years. I'm mac gamer, media intensive stuff then I pick HDD over SSD, plus SSD isn't my acceptance and SSD can be worn out if written so many for years, that disadvantage from wikipedia. We just get wait til Sony to developing the new gen of lit-ion or related to make bettery life so longer with HDD.

SSD on 64GB on neweggs cost $1,544 and it's only 2.5"

compare to what MacBook Air offer to upgrade is $999 on 64GB SDD which is 1.8". Impressive. Still expensive anyway.

I see probably one to two years later, more storage in thin SSD getting cheap. It would gain better life-battery and speed.

The pros and cons of Macbook Air in my views....

Pros thin and light, easy to travel, good speed in a small package, comes with VGA and DVI to micro DVI converter

cons RAM, battery cannot be user upgraded, optional flash drive costs $1,000 more, no firewire or ethernet port, no built in optical drive.....(it's so thin it can't fit in a optical drive)

That has a lot of cons....so suggested to get a Macbook or Macbook pro instead. That Macbook Air reminds me of Powerbook Duo that didn't have built in optical drive so you had to plug in a external drive and other external devices.

Well, for traveling, MacBook Air is perfect if you're only using it as a secondary machine and primarily for e-mail, internet, office work, word processing, etc. and always traveling. If you want to watch DVDs, use peripherals or play games, then I'd recommend the MacBook/MacBook Pro.

It seems the MacBook Air is moving away from using internal devices and more toward wireless and remote transfers, which is interesting for the future. It's too early of an innovation right now, though.

The pros and cons of Macbook Air in my views....

Pros thin and light, easy to travel, good speed in a small package, comes with VGA and DVI to micro DVI converter

cons RAM, battery cannot be user upgraded, optional flash drive costs $1,000 more, no firewire or ethernet port, no built in optical drive.....(it's so thin it can't fit in a optical drive)

That has a lot of cons....so suggested to get a Macbook or Macbook pro instead. That Macbook Air reminds me of Powerbook Duo that didn't have built in optical drive so you had to plug in a external drive and other external devices.

maybe there should have mini-blu-ray burn drive. it would be awesome.

Ok, time for break in between MacBook and MacBook Pro.

If you are very intensive graphic usage, hardcore gamers (able to play games that come out after 2006) or need big screen then MacBook Pro is for you.

If you are causal gamers or not gamers, doing a small graphic stuff, only focus on simple apps like Safari, Mail, Firefox, Google Earth or video edit then MacBook is for you.

I would pick on either of them, if my MBP don't work anymore then I would get MB for really quickly on budget.

Back