Which should be my newest member of the family?

Which would you have as a pet?

• Bearded Dragon

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Cockatiel

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Parakeet

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • None/any of above

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
I'm torn between a bearded dragon, cockatiel or parakeet. Help me figure this out. If anyone had any of these pets, please tell me the pros and cons

Well, to each their own, but I would choose a cocktiel, if you have "time" on ur hands to give it lots of attention, if not, then get it a mate. They are loving birds, give kisses, talk, whistle, eat with you, (even sleep) if you'll let them! I have 2 boys for many years now. They do get "messy" at times, tho'. My 2 cocktiels, "Joe" and "Buster" are real clowns!

None of the above. I would get a ferret. They sleep a lot so not a problem if you work. They are very playful, can be litter trained, and some can get along and hold their own with cats.

They are also very affectionate.

I'm an animal lover and I believe these creatures should be left alone in the wild. I don't think they will be happy staying in the cage 24/7 and I have a pet rat who I feel sorry. I do let him out as much as I can, but personally I think it's unfair.

Well, to each their own, but I would choose a cocktiel, if you have "time" on ur hands to give it lots of attention, if not, then get it a mate. They are loving birds, give kisses, talk, whistle, eat with you, (even sleep) if you'll let them! I have 2 boys for many years now. They do get "messy" at times, tho'. My 2 cocktiels, "Joe" and "Buster" are real clowns!

I found a white cockatiel for $35! I'm waiting for the guy to let me know if he'll sell me his bird. If not I'm still looking. The only thing I worry about having a bird is I have two cats, though some say cats get along with birds better than dogs do.

I found a white cockatiel for $35! I'm waiting for the guy to let me know if he'll sell me his bird. If not I'm still looking. The only thing I worry about having a bird is I have two cats, though some say cats get along with birds better than dogs do.

That's a good buy! A male or female?...Tamed or untamed?...
I do see a little "problem" since you have 2 cats, tho'!.....Cats are very sneaky....ur bird might not be secure.....
Here's what I did when we took in a "stray" cat....we got a spray bottle of water and squirted him everytime he started "stalking" the birds....and whenever we had to leave the house, we put the Cat in the bedroom, door closed!....This worked for awhile, but our cat got more "bold", and the water didn't help very much....so I poured in some hot sauce in the water.....and squirted the cat with that....believe me! After 2 or 3 more times trying to get the birds, he stopped!
We still had to watch the Cat very carefully!...

All is fine & dandy now, tho'.

That's a good buy! A male or female?...Tamed or untamed?...
I do see a little "problem" since you have 2 cats, tho'!.....Cats are very sneaky....ur bird might not be secure.....
Here's what I did when we took in a "stray" cat....we got a spray bottle of water and squirted him everytime he started "stalking" the birds....and whenever we had to leave the house, we put the Cat in the bedroom, door closed!....This worked for awhile, but our cat got more "bold", and the water didn't help very much....so I poured in some hot sauce in the water.....and squirted the cat with that....believe me! After 2 or 3 more times trying to get the birds, he stopped!
We still had to watch the Cat very carefully!...

All is fine & dandy now, tho'.

The owner had it for 5 yrs, tamed... if it was a girl I'd think she'd lay eggs by now right?But yea all white cockatiel. that's pretty rare to get! I think the guy may have sold him though, no reply to me today *sighs*

thats the one thing I worry about with my two cats. One is very playful (a little too playful, plays with things that aren't there sometimes lol) while the other is very very smart and overly serious.

Vote Parakeet or None/any of above

I think that care of parakeet easy!

I would not have either one! I do not think either one belong in a cage or house! The black market for birds is horrible!

I would need more info before voting. Personally, no one should ever take the acquisition of a new pet lightly. Birds live FOREVER, and Bearded Dragons live a long time too (I want to say around 20 years). You need to research, research, and then research some more. I know with some birds, they're extremely sensitive and fragile and you can't have certain plastics in your house (the fumes kill the bird). Bearded Dragons look cute (depending on who's looking at it, anyway, lol) when they're tiny, but they grow HUGE. You need to research whatever you're looking into buying/adopting to verify that you can meet every single need the animal requires.

It's just a little pet peeve of mine. It's surprising how uneducated most people are about animals. Even Betta fish, touted as one of the easiest fish to take care of, are one of the most abused fish out there (they can't thrive in cold water in a little cup: they're tropical fish who need heated water in a minimum of 3 or 5 gallons. And in either case, they still need to be fed every day and the smaller the tank/cup, the more frequent you need to change the water. If in a cup, the water needs to be changed every day. People get told that you can keep a Betta in a 10 ounce glass, put it on any random surface, feed it every few days, and change the water once a week.)

Research, research, research! If you find out something about the animal you're looking at that doesn't agree with you, either adjust your living arrangements to adapt or bypass the animal and research another type. I researched fish for a month before I even bought a fish tank (55gal), and I cycled it the humane way (fish-less) which took another couple of months. I have mice now, and I make sure they live in no smaller than a 20gal fish tank (I have 10gal tank that'll be used as a Quarantine tank for sick mice or new mice, or a mouse that feels "lost" in such a big home). And I still research to learn more about them and the best way to allow them to thrive. When the fish in the 55gal tank finally die out, I'm thinking of turning that into a gerbil or hamster cage, not sure yet. Like I said, I keep reading up on whatever I'm interested in, because I feel dread when I get something (like, say, a certain kind of bedding), THEN look it up and realize it's a danger to the animal. Or get a fish, THEN look it up and learn that it'll grow way to big for the tank.

Google is your friend.

Like I said, a little pet peeve of mine.

I voted "none of above" because this is something one should decide for oneself.... not ask others for opinions.

Don't take it wrong but when somebody asks others for opinions, it means he/she is not ready yet and hasn't considered it seriously enough. You should take as much time as you can and decide on it for sure because once you get a pet, it's for life.

If you are easily prone to anxiety, frustration, etc... or if you're the unpredictable type of person (meaning your schedule is not the same as everyday most of time)... you should not get a pet. do not worry - you have plenty of time in your life to get a pet at anytime. But if you still want a pet and yet cannot get one... simply work as a pet sitter or volunteer at animal shelter. it's easy job. I've done animal shelter.

I would need more info before voting. Personally, no one should ever take the acquisition of a new pet lightly. Birds live FOREVER, and Bearded Dragons live a long time too (I want to say around 20 years). You need to research, research, and then research some more. I know with some birds, they're extremely sensitive and fragile and you can't have certain plastics in your house (the fumes kill the bird). Bearded Dragons look cute (depending on who's looking at it, anyway, lol) when they're tiny, but they grow HUGE. You need to research whatever you're looking into buying/adopting to verify that you can meet every single need the animal requires.

It's just a little pet peeve of mine. It's surprising how uneducated most people are about animals. Even Betta fish, touted as one of the easiest fish to take care of, are one of the most abused fish out there (they can't thrive in cold water in a little cup: they're tropical fish who need heated water in a minimum of 3 or 5 gallons. And in either case, they still need to be fed every day and the smaller the tank/cup, the more frequent you need to change the water. If in a cup, the water needs to be changed every day. People get told that you can keep a Betta in a 10 ounce glass, put it on any random surface, feed it every few days, and change the water once a week.)

Research, research, research! If you find out something about the animal you're looking at that doesn't agree with you, either adjust your living arrangements to adapt or bypass the animal and research another type. I researched fish for a month before I even bought a fish tank (55gal), and I cycled it the humane way (fish-less) which took another couple of months. I have mice now, and I make sure they live in no smaller than a 20gal fish tank (I have 10gal tank that'll be used as a Quarantine tank for sick mice or new mice, or a mouse that feels "lost" in such a big home). And I still research to learn more about them and the best way to allow them to thrive. When the fish in the 55gal tank finally die out, I'm thinking of turning that into a gerbil or hamster cage, not sure yet. Like I said, I keep reading up on whatever I'm interested in, because I feel dread when I get something (like, say, a certain kind of bedding), THEN look it up and realize it's a danger to the animal. Or get a fish, THEN look it up and learn that it'll grow way to big for the tank.

Google is your friend.

I agree a bird can live a long time , and it is not fair to get a pet and find out you are not happy with it later on!

Google is your friend.

Oh I understand your peeve, and believe me that's why I'm researching and asking people for their opinion/experiences with those animals.

I also know theres people that don't take care of their pets. My mom had a betta in a little bity tank and it died. She went through 3 of them. I've had my betta 6 months now and hes as happy as can be, plenty of space for him to swim in.

Oh I understand your peeve, and believe me that's why I'm researching and asking people for their opinion/experiences with those animals.

I also know theres people that don't take care of their pets. My mom had a betta in a little bity tank and it died. She went through 3 of them. I've had my betta 6 months now and hes as happy as can be, plenty of space for him to swim in.

that's my point. You're going to find many differing opinions on certain pets. I'd say - dog's the best. it's easier than cat. and somebody would say opposite. It's just something that would happen by chance. Something that would catch your eyes and melt your heart and that's when you know you will have this pet for life.

btw - no idea what's a betta. I googled it and it looks like an interesting looking fish.

my good friend who happens to have too little knowledges about bearded dragon. She learned how expensive the electricity bills are that they try to keep the special heat for bearded dragon. unfortunately it did not make it within a year. =(

My niece had a bird and she let the bird out of it cage one day and the bird
landed on top the rat cage and the rat jumped up and killed the bird! My poor niece was freaking out! I would not get a bird when if I had 2 grown cats!
What set up for the poor bird,,it is going to stressed out being moved to a new home. how long has the guy had the bird , birds do get very attached to their owners. And I would want to do why the guy does not want the bird anymore! My friend got bird that was passed down from another owner as the bird bit and it was getting beaten up by another bird! I would want to more about a pet before buying it!

my good friend who happens to have too little knowledges about bearded dragon. She learned how expensive the electricity bills are that they try to keep the special heat for bearded dragon. unfortunately it did not make it within a year. =(

Bummer. Bearded dragon is a beautiful creature, but they are required to have electric heat...forget it. :(

Bummer. Bearded dragon is a beautiful creature, but they are required to have electric heat...forget it. :(

Hmm, I think theirs a heating pad thing you can put on the cage too. Again, need to research. But thats the only thing thats holding me back from getting a beardy is the electric bill.

Back