Which should be my newest member of the family?

Which would you have as a pet?

• Bearded Dragon

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Cockatiel

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Parakeet

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • None/any of above

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Yes. Heating pad is being used that still goes to the electric bills sky high. lol.

Wirelessly posted

Lmjanes said:
I'm an animal lover and I believe these creatures should be left alone in the wild. I don't think they will be happy staying in the cage 24/7 and I have a pet rat who I feel sorry. I do let him out as much as I can, but personally I think it's unfair.

All bearded dragons in North America are captive-bred since 1980s. There is no wild for them to go back to because Australia banned the export and import of reptiles in late '60s and '70s.

Wirelessly posted

I say neither... Why? Because if you have to ask which one to get, then it's a sign of uncertainty. Research some more until you're confident. It's okay to ask about the care though.

Electrical is cheap; the crickets for the baby-rearing will be a huge dent in the wallet until he's an adult where more greens is desired.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

whatdidyousay! said:
I would not have either one! I do not think either one belong in a cage or house! The black market for birds is horrible!

You need to get off the moral high-horse. When we accept people are selfish and keep animals for companion, for work or for competition, then everything isn't as black and white. Many people are allergic to mammals, yet still aches for a companion often gets a bird or a lizard.

By your logic, dogs and cats shouldn't be owned too. So, leave the whole "belong in the wild" checked at the door.

ladysolitary :wave:
I've had parakeets and they can be quite very fun and sweet - BUT they are very fragile and don't often have a long life span. Buying from a reputable breeder who breeds from U.S stock tends to get you a much healthier bird than buying from the pet store. Same goes for any birds. Birds in general REALLY need a lot of social interaction and stimulation; they don't well as "onlies" or left alone a lot of the time. I also suggest veterinarian specializing in avian medicine if you have birds.
Reptiles can take a lot of care, temp., humidity, sun/shade and diet has to be "just right". If you are really interested in reptiles, I suggest finding a reputable long-time reptile handler/owner and have them mentor you in care of these animals.

I honestly go with Bott and suggest ferrets or rabbits, if no allergy issues, if you want a pet but not a dog/cat. They aren't quite as fragile/particular as those you mentioned, both can be litter-trained, can be more easily cared for by others if needed. Ferrets are a lot of fun and love to interact with you. More vets are familiar with rabbits and ferrets and will be able to provide you with the widest range of care.

That part is true. A good reptile vet is usually a day or more drive. A good mammalian vet isn't as hard to find.

I don't recommend home-treatments. It sucks.

Back