Which one of your classes do or did you HATE most?

Liberal arts colleges of yesteryear required things like P.E. and I'm surprised that there's still places of learning like this....

There are some signing deaf counselors but for the most part I would agree with you that a terp is a necessity.

Yeah, I think the reason I said this to Mark is to avoid him going in himself, not knowing he has the right......there's liable to be some individual counselors within a given agency to mess it all up.....but if the counselor's deaf, all the better.

Liberal arts colleges of yesteryear required things like P.E. and I'm surprised that there's still places of learning like this....
I think the credit hours that were used by P.E. had to be used by the hours needed for basic computing classes.

The goal of the tech college I'm attending now is getting jobs for students. There are some transfer programs but for the most part it's all about preparing for the working world.

In my previous colleges, there was more focus on liberal arts and a well-rounded education. That was mostly at the four-year degree level.

I'm a will-o'-the-wisp when it comes to schools--8 elementary/jr.high schools, 4 high schools, 5 colleges, and several military professional schools. :lol:

There are some signing deaf counselors but for the most part I would agree with you that a terp is a necessity.

My local VR has no signing counselors. None. I was amazed. In Chicago, they did so I assumed they did everywhere since they do work with deaf people and people of various disabilities.

I would show up to my appts only to be rescheduled because they "forgot" to get one. This had happened twice. The office is 45 minutes away and I was steaming mad. They kept telling me to come into the office just to sign a paper, just to go over same things they went with me before. I told them mail the paperwork! I couldn't afford gas to see them just to sign a piece of paper. I also was bounced around from one counselor to another. They kept assigning me to a new one. They were so slow in moving along that my 2 year contract with them expired.

My experience was better in Chicago, they do have signing counselors and found me jobs right away, got me processed into college right away. My appts with the counselor was up to me as to where I wanted to meet her to discuss my case. I picked a place few min away from me at a fast food place. I've never went to their offices. They understand if you have no job, money or transportation, they will meet your needs in that regard. Not in Florida. :(

If things don't get better by the time my kids graduate from high school, I'm seriously considering moving out of Florida, into somewhere where it's deaf friendly.

When I first saw them in 2012, they had me sign a contract that I'm to work with them, give them permission to view my medical records, check to see if I'm approved for VR services for free, meet their guidelines etc...and mainly that they will assure me I should have a job by Jan 2014.

Expired. Now I either go back to them and start over again (the contract part at least) or try by myself which I have been without luck.

I was surprised that people had to pay to use VR services. If you meet the guidelines, you don't have to pay. I told them I've used temporary agency and they found me a job within a week for free. Why are people with disabilities required to pay for their services? The counselor had no answer to that one. "gee I don't know..."

... I was surprised that people had to pay to use VR services. If you meet the guidelines, you don't have to pay. I told them I've used temporary agency and they found me a job within a week for free. Why are people with disabilities required to pay for their services? The counselor had no answer to that one. "gee I don't know..."
It must be different in each state. Deaf clients of VR don't pay for services here. In fact, they get funds for schooling or free job training. Someone I know was sent for four weeks of training out of town, room and board covered.

no way for Deaf clients to pay for their services. It applies to all states ( USA). :shock: I ll talk to my friend who is Deaf VR about it.

I just remebred another class I don't like...art...I have no artistic talent at all x_x

I'd say that Economics was my least favorite class, but I didn't really go to it that often.

yep. MangaReader, VR cannot charges you for anything. VR a state agency.

Well they told me they had to check to see if I qualified for free VR services. People do pay apparently. Your income has to be low enough for it to be. Of course if you aren't working, that would qualify.

Don't forget VR services also offer other things than jobs and schooling such as training etc. So if a person was working already and needs training, then in that case, they probably would have to pay for their services.

Hated classes where there were no wind, no movement, no windows, stifling heat

For subjects it was not the subject but teachers that made them cool or plain ol miserable.

I failed math one year understood none of it teacher was evil and poisonous and took it again the next year with a teacher that knew how to teach and speak our language, drew us into math world and understood the wonders of what math had to offer like willy wonkas chocolate factory. Loved math that year.

Back