Which deaf school that has worst education and dumb policies?

Choose?

• Total voters
Blink182 said:
No, It's not sure. Ur wrong!!!! :mad2:

I created public poll many time so people don't get mad or worries about it. Its ur opinion about problem. Moderator can see ur poll if its private though.
Blink182 - I think what Deaf258 meant is that he won't vote because anyone can see which ones he voted for. If he should decide to work at the deaf school, he might be in danger of losing his job just because of his opinions against the schools. He would probably vote if it doesn't reveal (show) who voted.

Deaf258 - I have no intentions working at the deaf schools. BUT after reading your post, I have come to think I would probably be out of lucks if I asked a deaf girl out on a date - she works at the school. She would probably do some check ups on me via Google.

Blink182 said:
Its not for MSSD or Maryland School for the Deaf.
I don't know much about Maryland SD, but as for MSSD, someone I knew once said she visited MSSD and wasn't impressed with what she saw. She said that a lot of the children go on field trips and play all the times.

Going on field trips and playing all the times isn't unheard at (Tenn) SD as well!

Brian said:
I don't know much about Maryland SD, but as for MSSD, someone I knew once said she visited MSSD and wasn't impressed with what she saw. She said that a lot of the children go on field trips and play all the times.

Going on field trips and playing all the times isn't unheard at (Tenn) SD as well!

Wow. Children on field trip so much!!! It's looking same with my old hearing school.

Hawaii SD, or whatever name it keeps changing to - I was NOT impressed from my three months there as a student in 1992. It just simply didn't challenge me. Maybe it changes the way it is run today... I don't have that information as of now.

Maryland SD was something quite different. It tries to follow a public school format with how they offer classes, and it can get you a regular Maryland high school diploma in addition to its own diploma. The classes were stimulating, and the teachers tried to meet my mental needs.. put me in advanced placement classes. I got what I needed out of it. I felt that people really CARED. The downside was the dorm part because of its management, altho it wasn't total hell. I would've preferred to be just a day student, if not for my life circumstances.

There were a small group of students who were considered "slow." There's always something like that in every apple barrel, and they are also human. I were friends with some of them, and I liked them. The difference is that the school we went to has good teachers (both hearing and deaf). We don't play too much. Ha. Yeah right.

MSSD (with all the field trips) sounds a lot like the school I am going to here in Norway-- I am taking language classes for Norwegian and SL, I just wish I had more time studying these instead of going on ski trips all the time.

oh, and how about making suggestions for improving Deaf schools?
I mean I totally understand why many Deaf schools are bad. It's b/c they are public education. Public education isn't funded very well in this country. So as a result many Deaf schools get like the very bottom of the barrel students....they are probaly simalir to inner city high school students in terms of achivement and demographics and stuff like that.

Pardon me, blink?

I got to say this... Since I attended to a deaf school which I rather keep it nameless because I do not want this war to lead into some sort of a flaming thread war. Yes, I just happen to graduate from a deaf school with strong deaf background. Going there made me less smarter than I first attended there? No, not a chance. The education might be crappy, but still, it is really up to everyone's motivation to learn. Each individuals have different ways to come up with their abilities to learn.

I decided to go there because I believe a strong social life would lead me a better life communicating with other people, able to open up with others-- aside from the rumors -- stick with it because it is part of life. I did not regret about going there because I really benefit my social life from my years.

After your school years, you would still learn something new daily and it will never stop, education is really not the factor, but it still is considered important.

Anyways, I think you take it too personally. I may be coming from a deaf school with medicore education but I decline to say I'm damn dumb. I guarantee you there are others are very sharp but are from deaf schools. So don't point your fingers to assume that deaf schools will be likely to produce dumb people, I am not saying that you are actually doing that but I want you to get this idea why the purpose of going to a deaf school and what it is all about.

PS- I have nothing against public schools and mainstreaming classes.

Serendipity said:
Pardon me, blink?

I got to say this... Since I attended to a deaf school which I rather keep it nameless because I do not want this war to lead into some sort of a flaming thread war. Yes, I just happen to graduate from a deaf school with strong deaf background. Going there made me less smarter than I first attended there? No, not a chance. The education might be crappy, but still, it is really up to everyone's motivation to learn. Each individuals have different ways to come up with their abilities to learn.

I decided to go there because I believe a strong social life would lead me a better life communicating with other people, able to open up with others-- aside from the rumors -- stick with it because it is part of life. I did not regret about going there because I really benefit my social life from my years.

After your school years, you would still learn something new daily and it will never stop, education is really not the factor, but it still is considered important.

Anyways, I think you take it too personally. I may be coming from a deaf school with medicore education but I decline to say I'm damn dumb. I guarantee you there are others are very sharp but are from deaf schools. So don't point your fingers to assume that deaf schools will be likely to produce dumb people, I am not saying that you are actually doing that but I want you to get this idea why the purpose of going to a deaf school and what it is all about.

PS- I have nothing against public schools and mainstreaming classes.

Yeah. I pardoned u.

Ummm.... I wouldn't know.

I cannot vote because one reason only I never been to any deaf schools while growing up, I was in mainstream with an interpreter. I am not sure which schools are the worst than others. But every school have their flaws. I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. ;)

This question for the whole thread is too "sterotyping".
I prefer nameless NOT to vote/mention the name of school....

Because when people asked me which school for the deaf
did I ever attend, they were very shocked because
that school was supposed to be the worst dumb school of all...
Too many people made WRONG assumptions that
anyone who went to my school were DUMB automatically...
But, then they realize that they were WRONG. There are some
deaf students were quite intelligent and some
others were quite dumb at the same school anyway.
No one should blame against the school directly, it depends
on their parents, their families, their teachers and
their individuals motivation levels, etc.

Y said:
Because when people asked me which school for the deaf
did I ever attend, they were very shocked because
that school was supposed to be the worst dumb school of all...
Too many people made WRONG assumptions that
anyone who went to my school were DUMB automatically...
But, then they realize that they were WRONG. There are some
deaf students were quite intelligent and some
others were quite dumb at the same school anyway.
No one should blame against the school directly, it depends
on their parents, their families, their teachers and
their individuals motivation levels, etc.
It will be my very first time to agree with you. I hope you will not have a heart attack :/

Note to people who said that deaf schools are bad and blah blah: I would say the same thing about mainstreamed schools and public schools. Some/many of these mainstreamed/public schools are far worse than deaf schools (I saw these schools plus the statistics with my own eyes in south area)... but as what Y said, she nailed it perfectly. It is largely depend on parents and children included teachers.

Y, well said!

How can this vote gives true gauge? I would give an honor to those who ALREADY went to EVERY DAMN deaf school to vote which is the IDIOTiest Deaf school. I only went to just one, not two nor more deaf school, and I couldn't be of judgement wheather others sucks than mine nor that mine sucks others.
So having this vote really based on biased, rather than true gauge.

BTW, sure my deaf school had STUPID policy along with Mr. NO (Now known as Dr. NO). No facial hair is accepted, no freedom. Yup, you can't go off campus for any reason except going home weekends. Its more like prison! They used to have 20 minute lunch break! No wonder I could eat fast! I have not seen my ex deaf school for more than 20 years, so I dunno what had changed since then.

Magatsu said:
It will be my very first time to agree with you. I hope you will not have a heart attack :/

Note to people who said that deaf schools are bad and blah blah: I would say the same thing about mainstreamed schools and public schools. Some/many of these mainstreamed/public schools are far worse than deaf schools (I saw these schools plus the statistics with my own eyes in south area)... but as what Y said, she nailed it perfectly. It is largely depend on parents and children included teachers.

Y, well said!

ah i'm having a heart attack haha thanks ! :)

Some/many of these mainstreamed/public schools are far worse than deaf schools
Thank you Magatsu!!! Mainstream isn't always better then Deaf schools! There are some accomondations available, but it's like pulling teeth to get them. Plus, too many kids get inappropreaite services or attitudes b/c not too many special ed departments know how to serve or educate kids with classic (non learning disabilty) disabilties.

deafdyke said:
Thank you Magatsu!!! Mainstream isn't always better then Deaf schools!
Welcome :)

deafdyke said:
There are some accomondations available, but it's like pulling teeth to get them. Plus, too many kids get inappropreaite services or attitudes b/c not too many special ed departments know how to serve or educate kids with classic (non learning disabilty) disabilties.
Indeed. That's few reasons out of many reasons why I mentioned that some/many of mainstreamed/public schools are far worse than deaf schools. I am glad that you pointed these out ;]

There is one mainstreamed school in Texas, we found out that four young deaf students has been neglected by teachers for approx two years. Teachers just gave them the crayons and paper and left them alone almost every day... I am not sure how Education Dept. found out but when they did, two teachers got fired and one teacher got a discipline which marked his/her resume for many years. There was one of many cases that happened (or still happening) in America on a daily basis.

I also had this discussion with Gally folks few years ago when I swung by to visit my ex-girlfriend. We noticed that whoever don't want to stay in the dorms tend to avoid the responsibilities of cleaning the 'bedroom', duties, sleep hours, social events, etc etc... I don't think it is pattern but I believe it is common problem among the deaf community. I stayed in the dorm (I am speaking of HS) for only one year and two months, I believe. It was fun... lots of socials so I loved it even though I have a large deaf family but it was much better than lived with my *ugh* dad... My mother lived in other state at that time which I don't want to transfer and enroll at different school.

Edit & addition: However, I must praise the dorm system for deafies. I am sure that you know how many deafies of hearing families who suffered (and still suffering) due to lack of communication. One of my good friends moved in with me and my family so he can access to communication which his hearing parents has been neglected to provide his needs for years. Sure, dorm system have several flaws that need to repair... heck, mainstreamed/public and private schools have several flaws that need to repair too.

Last edited:
CLARKE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF!!!!!!! :fu2: I wasn't happy after 2nd year I think. It is oral deaf school in Northampton, Mass. I just don't like to use oral period. OH, well!

LMA

i can't vote as i've never attended a deaf school. (i am hard of hearing, and that was not until after i developed my english skills. i still go to school, and i manage to continue to pass my courses without any services at a private school.)

there are plenty of hearing schools that are just as bad... there is probably four bad hearing schools for every bad deaf school.

there are slow learners at all schools. even at my private hearing school... i know because one of those students is me. i have significant learning differences. it takes me a lot longer to process and learn new information than it does for most students. it's really frusterating, because i really am trying. also, i often forget what the person was saying before they finish the sentance.

am i stupid. no.

i know five languages. i have been offered scholarships to prestigious universities for displaying exceptional talent and skill in art and english.

when the other kids in my class learn something, they forget it and then have to cram for exams. i rarely study for exams. there's no point in it for me. i will still remember the information years later, even if i never used it, and if i don't know something, I don't have enough time to learn it.

I will have to disagree with some of you. Some deaf schools may have sucked allright even mainstream as well. I do not agree that mainstream sucked worse than deaf school. Because I am one of the students who went to mainstream all my life. Yes sometimes mainsteam may not suitable for some Deafies NOR some deafies may not be suitable for deaf school as well...

I just believe that it only depend how their IQ level is and how well they study...I do admit some deafies have well education from deaf school but not always...that goes same with mainstreaming school as well.

forgot to add one thing: I didnt vote either, no matters how bad school has been. I believe having some education from bad school is better than having no education at all!!!

Whoo. .. I dont think I could vote! For one thing, my former school is not on there, the other thing is..my experience there wasnt all that positive. :thumbd:

I had grown up at a public school in my hometown and went to WSD after the 6th grade. Just imagine an SEE signer in an ASL environment! :shock: The people were very critical and inflexible (related to signing). The education there was the pits..it was more of a "social" school than a learning school. I quit 2 years before graduating there and went back to my public high school. SO MUCH BETTER! (Education wise) I honestly would not recommend it to any of the younger deaf students around here.

But the experience for everyone is different, I guess.

Back