When will Canadians see IP Relay?

Wirelessly posted

I know, but Rogers is making me pay a voice plan for a dataplan.

They also have a new "data only plan" for Doh/d/Deaf & SI - see the "special needs" section on the website

Haha...I wouldnt be surprised by this as its been ages since IP Relay was introduced!! Back when I was there, the only thing that worked for me was a TTY in a public place. Actually I do remember using an IM relay program, but I could only make calls to numbers in USA, not Canada. Lets see how things shape up...

ive been using the Rogers IPRelay since the day it came out. Works well WHEN there is someone available on the other end. Often I request a call and don't hear anything back for hours, by which point its too late. Can't get rid of my voice plan and portable TTY just yet i guess. Hopefully it will improve soon!
*EQL*

IPrelay started in United states around 5 years ago not 10 years ago. Videophone came out 8 years ago. But funny thing, Sweden or switzerland, can't recall which country started their first VRS and it was short lived. That was around 1995.

I believe United States started TTY relay service sometimes in 1993 right after ADA was passed.

!0 years America have had IP and VP and VRS relay and Canada still in the cave ... Sad, sad , sad ...Come on deaf Canadians stand up and demand ADA services !!!

push to CAD and under VRS should set up new spread on 2013 that is why reason how do you know figure out!!! I am patient! wait for hear story coming patient!!!

What the Rogers have offered to us is message relay services and this thread is about IP relay service.

I used Rogers MRS twice and I FRIGGIN' HATE it! I will not use it again.

The Rogers Communications contracted their MRS to a third party company after I asked one of their operators some questions.

I got more information on IP Relay Service a few days ago from my reliable source and the information is below:

Telus just filed a statement with the CRTC not five minutes ago, confirming that it plans to launch IP Relay in AB, BC, and QC on September 21st. I think Bell intends to launch theirs on the 24th.

There was no mention of Rogers or other ISP’s providing IP Relay, but we do expect them to fall into line once Telus and Bell work the kinks out of their services.

ive been using the Rogers IPRelay since the day it came out. Works well WHEN there is someone available on the other end. Often I request a call and don't hear anything back for hours, by which point its too late. Can't get rid of my voice plan and portable TTY just yet i guess. Hopefully it will improve soon!
*EQL*

Considering the system is literally days old at this point, I'm sure there are a number of kinks to be worked out ... however at least the process is being "officially undertaken" if that makes sense?

royale said:
What the Rogers have offered to us is message relay services and this thread is about IP relay service.

Rogers is listing this on their site as an IP relay - and from what I've heard from Roger Canada intends to include messenger relay as well as "IP Relay" as used in the USA (ie relay accessed via a website, not via a messenger program) ...

The process is all very very new (less than 20days old) and is still under development and in the initial stages of being "launched" ...

I would encourage Canadians to contact Bell, Rogers - whoever you want and tell them how important IP and IM Relay is for HOh & d/Deaf people and that you support their efforts.

I used Rogers MRS twice and I FRIGGIN' HATE it! I will not use it again.

The Rogers Communications contracted their MRS to a third party company after I asked one of their operators some questions.

Really. I am surprised never heard it wow. I am shocked! well I used on ROGers! I know all the Canadian!

I used the Rogers IP Relay today with msn messenger. I had to wait just three or four minutes before they could place my call. Everything went smoothly.

I was going to buy a portable TTY, but now it looks like I won't have to.

IPrelay started in United states around 5 years ago not 10 years ago. Videophone came out 8 years ago. But funny thing, Sweden or switzerland, can't recall which country started their first VRS and it was short lived. That was around 1995.
You are wrong. I worked in the USA and IP-Relay was working in January 2001. I used it to place phone calls in the states. That's pretty much 10 years ago, buddy - 9 years and 9 months to be exact.

In 2001, MCI took over operations of the federal IP relay service and opened a call center in Bartlett. I think it was operating since 1999. Though the domain name has been around only since 2000:

Domain Name: IP-RELAY.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.PURPLE.US
Name Server: NS2.PURPLE.US
Updated Date: 16-nov-2009
Creation Date: 18-oct-2000
Expiration Date: 18-oct-2014

(It was owned by MCI Inc. back at the time.)

Last edited:

I believe United States started TTY relay service sometimes in 1993 right after ADA was passed.

SouthFella was right.

I used MCI IP relay in 2001. That's why I don't use TDD/TYY for almost 9 years. Thanks to Yahoo.

You are wrong. I worked in the USA and IP-Relay was working in January 2001. I used it to place phone calls in the states. That's pretty much 10 years ago, buddy - 9 years and 9 months to be exact.

In 2001, MCI took over operations of the federal IP relay service and opened a call center in Bartlett. I think it was operating since 1999. Though the domain name has been around only since 2000:

Nice! I don't see MCI IP relay anymore. Let me guess, Ip-relay.com take over MCI IP relay?

I used the Rogers IP Relay today with msn messenger. I had to wait just three or four minutes before they could place my call. Everything went smoothly.

I was going to buy a portable TTY, but now it looks like I won't have to.

I placed 2 calls the other day Via Rogers IM Relay (via AIM on my computer) and both times I waited less than a minute to be answered from the time I said "hi" - so about the same time as TTY relay

This is a HUGE improvement over the even a week earlier - obviously they just needed to get a bit more set up :)

I'm really looking forward to being able to place a IM Relay call via my cell phone (blackberry) ... it's something which I've been waiting to do for literally almost 10years!!

IPRelay through Rogers for Canadian

Hi to all the Canadians.....
We now have a an IPRelay option through Rogers.I logged on to Rogers My Account with my laptop and it will also work on the Blackberry providing you download a chat program such as Yahoo,Hotmail, or AOL(which is what I'm using).

This is what is on the Rogers site:

IP Relay will allow you to communicate via text online using web-capable devices through interactive Messaging applications (such as Yahoo! Messenger) where there is Internet access.

IP relay will enable faster communications with the relay operator, and allow you to see more of the conversation on your computer screen than what can be seen on a TTY window.

IP relay will also allow you to print out and save conversations. To access this service, please login to your Interactive Messaging Service and add the corresponding buddy/friend to your list. The Unique IDs are as follows:

IM Chat Application Rogers Communications
Yahoo! RMrelayservice@yahoo.com
MSN RMrelayservice@hotmail.com
AOL RMrelayservice@aol.com

Hope this helps...
DeafChef

really I never heard it?

IP Relay for Telus customers

I got this message via Facebook today from Chris Newman.

IP Relay Client

you can access Telus IP Relay.. It is only for Telus customer who pay to Telis Bill for Phone and Internet.. I am not sure which required both or one of them..

How do you know if you can access.. you will need special access number, they will give you if you are allow (depend where you live)

You must have access number.. you need to have Telus Customer with bill pay that you are use Relay Service then you will get Access number.

But I could not find any Telus Video Relay Service. I think it is secret website address because it is trial and it is limit number to involved trial. If you involved.. I am sure they will give you website address or software program to download.

That's all I know... I am not sure what detail or how it work.

Many Thanks
Chris Newman

Back