When will Canadians see IP Relay?

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
I've been reading up on the CRTC requirements for wireless providers, and stumbled upon some interesting facts!

From Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-430 (Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-430):
Implementation of IP Relay
21. The Commission directs all LECs, including wireless CLECs, and VoIP providers that are required to provide TTY Relay to provide IP Relay, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by 21 July 2010. As with TTY Relay, TSPs may meet the obligation to provide IP Relay by providing the service directly or by outsourcing the provision of the service to a third-party. Further, by 21 July 2010, all references to "message relay service" in the existing relay service requirements set out in previous Commission decisions shall be read to include both TTY Relay and IP Relay.
22. By 21 April 2010 the ILECs are to file revised proposed relay service tariffs. The Commission does not expect the proposed tariffs to include rate increases.
23. The Commission considers that its power under section 24 of the Telecommunications Act to impose conditions on the offering and provision of telecommunications services on Canadian carriers is an appropriate means to impose requirements with respect to IP Relay. The Commission requires Canadian carriers, as a condition of the provision of service, to include in their contracts with resellers, a condition that resellers of local exchange services comply with the same obligations imposed on Canadian carriers.

and
From Telecom Commission Letter - 8665-C12-200807943:
Approves TELUS’s request to extend its retail IP Relay implementation deadline to 21 September 2010.
Approves EastLink’s and Roger’s request to extend the retail IP Relay implementation deadline of all LECs to 31 December 2010 (including those of TELUS’s wholesale customers).

So basically, when are Canadians ACTUALLY going to see IP Relay?? September 2010? December 2010? I've been thinking of getting a blackberry, but if this is actually going to happen, it may change what I want to get. hmmmmm.

Any thoughts anyone?
*EQL*

I hope banjo, he might answers your q as above.. he currently resides in canada, correct me if i am wrong? wink..

It is going to be available next month and Bell Canada will start it.

!0 years America have had IP and VP and VRS relay and Canada still in the cave ... Sad, sad , sad ...Come on deaf Canadians stand up and demand ADA services !!!

Wirelessly posted

Got nothing to do with Disability Acts; it's because former CEOs of telecommunication companies serve for the CRTC and essentially turned the whole thing into a monopoly under guise of Canadian protectionism over the fear that foreign telecommunication companies will take over our domestic affairs.

Last edited:
I just received an email stating that IP Relay is now available in Canada (or at least MB for sure).

Here are the "username/contact/buddies" names for the three IP Relay services:

Yahoo - RMrelayservice@yahoo.com
MSN - RMrelayservice@hotmail.com
AOL - RMrelayservice@aol.com

I haven't used it yet - but I'm looking forward to it!!

my Info can be found at the ROGERS WEBSITE

I am sorry to tell you that I find it very skeptical because Bell Canada which is supposed to launch Canada's first IP Relay service, would not use these e-mail account.

It is quite possible that they come from scammers.

Well, I can give you a "for sure" answer...

Canadians can get relay service right now if they move to the USA..

:D couldnt resist

I am sorry to tell you that I find it very skeptical because Bell Canada which is supposed to launch Canada's first IP Relay service, would not use these e-mail account.

No, it's completely legitimate.
Rogers communications (HUGE multimedia corp in Canada) has set up the IP relay ... the information is directly from their website and I have confirmed it with Rogers Canada.

The reason that the IDs are in "email address format" is because it is IP Relay working via IM - just like many of the IP Relays have in the USA including AT&T IM Relay, Sprint IM Relay etc.

Most IM programs will take JUST the "username" or "ID" (but also will accept the full email address) however there are a few that require you enter a full email address when adding a contact - as such Rogers simply listed the "full contact information" for each of the IM programs it supports. Basically this is so that users can's "miss up" installing the contact ;)

For example Sprint's username/ID is "SprintID" (aka SprintID@ aol.com, SprintID@ hotmail.com, SprintID@ gmail.com
Likewise AT&T;s Relay is "ATTRELAY" , IP-Relay is "My IP Relay etc.

You'll notice that for each of the RMRelay "email addresses" they use the same "ID" which is "RMRelay" this is comparable to SprintID , ATTRELAY , My IP Relay etc

I also got the information from an official information email release by our Deaf Resource centre - who received it directly from Rogers Canada.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the IM relay I would suggest going to the Rogers website - or contact Rogers directly about it.

Hope that Helps!!

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Anij said:

Rogers communications (HUGE multimedia corp in Canada) has set up the IP relay ... the information is directly from their website and I have confirmed it with Rogers Canada (called them to make sure).

The reason that the IDs are in "email address format" is because it is IP Relay working via IM - just like many of the IP Relays have in the USA including AT&T IM Relay, Sprint IM Relay etc.

Most IM programs will take JUST the "username" or "ID" (but also will accept the full email address) however there are a few that require you enter a full email address when adding a contact - as such Rogers simply listed the "full contact information" for each of the IM programs it supports. Basically this is so that users can's "miss up" installing the contact ;)

For example Sprint's username/ID is "SprintID" (aka SprintID@ aol.com, SprintID@ hotmail.com, SprintID@ gmail.com

You'll notice that for each of the RMRelay "email addresses" they use the same "ID" which is "RMRelay" this is comparable to SprintID , ATTRELAY , My IP Relay etc

I also got the information from an official information email release by our Deaf Resource centre - who received it directly from Rogers Canada.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the IM relay I would suggest going to the Rogers website - or contact Rogers directly about it.

Hope that Helps!!

I will have to inquiry about the Network Access Plan if this is true.

Rogers communications (HUGE multimedia corp in Canada) has set up the IP relay ... the information is directly from their website and I have confirmed it with Rogers Canada (called them to make sure).

Hope that Helps!!

You do not have to explain to me about Rogers cuz I have been Rogers consumer since 2001.

I am checking with my reliable sources who are well known figures in Deaf communities across Canada.

So far I have had a solid information about the Bell Canada concerning IP Relay service.

Well, I can give you a "for sure" answer...

Canadians can get relay service right now if they move to the USA..

:D couldnt resist

I do not have to cuz I am still using a few of those VRS to call U.S. companies there. :)

you don't need any type of special plan to use IP relay ... you just use your computer, and the IM program of your choice (Yahoo, MSN, or AIM/AOL) and that is how you contact relay ...

The only thing you would need anything "special for" is if you want to use IP IM Relay from a cell phone - then you would need a data plan that allows you to use IM on your phone.

This relay is NOT just for Rogers customers - anyone (as I understand it) can use it.

as an FYI - Rogers has updated their website (as of this morning) ... for those interested in learning more about IP relay directly from the official Rogers site just got to Rogers.com - then at the bottom click on "Special Needs" and it will take you to the TTY, and IP Relay information without having to "sign in".

I hopes this helps put at ease anyone who was concerned this was scam.

I would also encourage Canadians to email Rogers and let them know how much being able to access IP relay means ... it's a HUGE thing (especially to be able to use IP Relay from cell!!) and not only do they deserve a "thank you" - but also they need to know that it's something they should advertise etc!!

You do not have to explain to me about Rogers cuz I have been Rogers consumer since 2001.

I am checking with my reliable sources who are well known figures in Deaf communities across Canada.

So far I have had a solid information about the Bell Canada concerning IP Relay service.

why not just contact Rogers - or look at their site ??

I'm a bit confused as to why you seem "upset" that it's Rogers, not Bell **shrug** who cares who provides it

Last edited:
Back