When is your child going back to school?

JeepGirl

Reaction score
My daughter starts school Thursday August 3rd!!!! I can't believe Summer is actually "over" for her. Don't that seem too early for the kids to be back to school??? I thought that was crazy but that's how the school system works in my location. sucks but kinda glad for her to go back!!! I'm ready to get out of my home and get a job. I was working but quit a few weeks ago due to my good friend's son's death and had stayed home to be with my friend. Now that's over with.. my daughter going back to school.. i'm ready to go job hunting!

Care to share with me on when your kid/kids going back to school? How do you like their system? Will your child have a 2 week or 1 week fall break? My daughter used to have 2 week fall break but they changed it to 1 week this coming fall because of their lack of learning skills. The kids forget their work during the 2 week fall break so they changed it to 1 week. so tell me about yours!

Oh yea! The weirdest part is.. my daughter's new 4th grade teacher told me she has a deaf son.. and i asked her if she knew sign language and she said no.. and immediately I knew.. I asked if he has CI she said yes and asked me how did I know. I just told her that I'm deaf and grew up oral and I know what its like having a family not knowing any sign language. She asked me if I wished my family had known sign language and I told her yes, I was always feeling left out and never knew what was going on around me. She said "oh no, how do I find a class for sign language" I gave her the phone number and hopefully maybe she'll learn and be able to communicate with her son. by the way, her son had the CI when he was 2 and he's now going into the 2nd grade.

RebelGirl said:
Oh yea! The weirdest part is.. my daughter's new 4th grade teacher told me she has a deaf son.. and i asked her if she knew sign language and she said no.. and immediately I knew.. I asked if he has CI she said yes and asked me how did I know. I just told her that I'm deaf and grew up oral and I know what its like having a family not knowing any sign language. She asked me if I wished my family had known sign language and I told her yes, I was always feeling left out and never knew what was going on around me. She said "oh no, how do I find a class for sign language" I gave her the phone number and hopefully maybe she'll learn and be able to communicate with her son. by the way, her son had the CI when he was 2 and he's now going into the 2nd grade.

Kudos for you ! :applause: I don't have a wife or kids yet, Someday I will. I bet you are glad to have the kids back to school because my sister and my brother have kids of their own and they already can't wait to have the kids back to school. I don't blame them. I probably would be happy to see the kids are back to school too.

Both of my sons will be starting school on August 14th and it is pretty much early than what they normally had it scheduled for. It used to be on the last week of August but now they pull it back a week or two in order to have a longer fall break which is one week. The oldest will be in 2nd grade and the youngest will be in kindergarten. It just felt like summer has flew by and I'm like "That's it? School's already gonna start soon?" Gee, lol

:hyper: WHOA! That's way too early!!! My son is 4 years old and he is going to kindegarten on September 6. The other kids like from 1st to 12th grades start on August 29. Normally, kids go to school in end of August and kindegarten starts after Labor's Day.

They get out June 5, 2007. Kindegarten get out at end of week of May (before Memorial's Day).

Ok my son goes back on Sept 5th and so is my school which is in Maine. But we dont have the same time vacation or some holiday. Oh well I always have somebody watch my son while I go to work at private school.

Like I have 2 weeks vacation in spring and my son got one week in Feb and April so that is different between my school and his school. Yea I would be glad once he goes back to school. That way I wont have to hear him saying I'm Bored!!!!. LOL

interesting.. wow.. my son start school on August 22. One of my friend's son start school in July mid of week, (nutty!)

Our school start in Sept 18 but I already graduated.

My grandsons go back to school Monday, August 7. :(

RebelGirl said:
My daughter starts school Thursday August 3rd!!!!

Wow...

When I was a child we always started school after Labor day, and then in Middle School school always started on the day before my birthday (bday Aug 27, school started Aug 26th)...

Now kids are starting school in early August...that's crazy.

LuciaDisturbed said:
...Now kids are starting school in early August...that's crazy.
You got that right! I always went back to school the day after Labor Day. Now, it's like they get almost no summer vacation, and our family can't take trips. :(

RebelGirl said:
My daughter starts school Thursday August 3rd!!!!

Oh really, it's way too early! When I was kid, my schools in Utah typically started the 4th week of August and ended the first week of June. Plus, my school in Southern California typically started the first or two week of September and ended in the middle of June.

I have a 5th grade goddaughter in Washington state, her school will start September 6th (2 days after Labor Day).

My daughter's school will start on August 7th. She started her summer holidays on May 19th. I really do not like this. I would very much like to see the summer holidays start in the middle of June and end after Labor Day in September like they used to when I was a little girl.
She will not have a fall break but two and a half weeks winter break during Christmas.

Reba said:
You got that right! I always went back to school the day after Labor Day. Now, it's like they get almost no summer vacation, and our family can't take trips. :(

Yeah!

Reba said:

I don't know how to quote Lucia's post before this one, so I hope this flows with what she said...

Reba and Lucia,

I think the reason school's start so early down here in the South (here we start school in mid Aug), is because, of hurricane season. Most people in other parts of the country have snow days. Well, we have "hurricane days". Starting school so early is probably in ancipation of having to potentially close school's for a storm.

Incidently, school's are typically used as hurricane shelters, so that's one reason. Down here, our school's are used as shelters for Cats 1 and 2 storms. For categories 3, 4 and 5, we're told to just get the heck out! There's a mandated Co. Shelter for us up in Miami, in the event of a strong hurricane.

That's probably TMI for the topic, but info can't hurt, right? :)

Oceanbreeze said:
...I think the reason school's start so early down here in the South (here we start school in mid Aug), is because, of hurricane season. Most people in other parts of the country have snow days. Well, we have "hurricane days". Starting school so early is probably in ancipation of having to potentially close school's for a storm.
I don't know. How come Northern schools don't start early in anticipation of potential snow days?

If the schools here close for hurricanes or shelter use, they usually just tack on extra days at the end of the school year.

Reba said:
I don't know. How come Northern schools don't start early in anticipation of potential snow days?

If the schools here close for hurricanes or shelter use, they usually just tack on extra days at the end of the school year.

I can't answer that, because, we also tack on days, too.

:dunno:

Summer heat, maybe?

I'm truly clueless. :lol:

My son begins senior kindergarten on Sept 1 and he's 3 and half yrs old.

Back