When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

RebelGirl,
How is it that you can say
RebelGirl said:
........... Now, if I ever have another baby, I would LOVE to have a deaf child.........
But you find it offensive when you think I say "I want my child to be hearing?" (Which I didn't say or meant, I said "For my child I want it to be able to hear.)

Really curious!!

It's seem some people are not looking at both sides here, I mean there's nothing wrong with asking such a question but you also have to look at where they're coming from on this too, I'm on no one side here but my own, but I do see where both sides are coming from and it's like if a person A came up to person B and asked a question out of blue such as " If you ever become pregnant, what would you want to have a hearing or a deaf baby " then person B would be like " huh? what kind of question is that? " I mean why would it matter if the baby is hearing or deaf? If a person rather to have a baby that could hear sounds, then there's nothing wrong with having either hearing or a deaf baby.... :)

Cloggy said:
RebelGirl,
How is it that you can sayBut you find it offensive when you think I say "I want my child to be hearing?" (Which I didn't say or meant, I said "For my child I want it to be able to hear.)

Really curious!!

Because you asked a question and she answer it! ;)

And for the post above, She was just throwing in her two cents worth....

^Angel^ said:
It's seem some people are not looking at both sides here, I mean there's nothing wrong with asking such a question but you also have to look at where they're coming from on this too, I'm on no one side here but my own, but I do see where both sides are coming from and where the others are coming from also, it's like if a person A came up to person B and asked a question out of blue such as " If you ever become pregnant, what would you want to have a hearing or a deaf baby " then person B would be like " huh? what kind of question is that? " I mean why would it matter if the baby is hearing or deaf? If a person rather to have a baby that could hear sounds, then there's nothing wrong with having either hearing or a deaf baby....
I agree with you 100%.

But I got fried because I asked the question, being told that it's offensive!
But then the same (reversed) statement is made by that person and she feels OK with that!!

^Angel^ said:
Because you asked a question and she answer it! ;)

And for the post above, She was just throwing in her two cents worth....
No wait a minute... Let's back up, and get back to the basics...

Do you think that "it is OK for a deaf person to wish for a deaf child", but "not OK for a hearing person to wish for a hearing child"?

(Apart from the fact both are selfish wishes.)

Hey? how about we all jump in for a group hug here,? :grouphug:...

And if Tousi was still here, he would take you ALL out for steak?.. :aw:

^Angel^ said:
Hey? how about we all jump in for a group hug here,? :grouphug:...

And if Tousi was still here, he would take you ALL out for steak?.. :aw:
You're on - and after that we'll answer the question.

QUOTE=Cloggy]RebelGirl,
How is it that you can sayBut you find it offensive when you think I say "I want my child to be hearing?" (Which I didn't say or meant, I said "For my child I want it to be able to hear.)

Really curious!![/QUOTE]

Rebelgirl said:
all I wanted was a healthy baby. Now, if I ever have another baby, I would LOVE to have a deaf child. if the next baby is hearing.. I'm going to love him/her the same.

that's exactly what I said.. in my quote up here. My daughter is hearing and i accepted that.. i never said i wish she was deaf, did i ??? no.. i said if i have another child, i would love to have a deaf child.. even if the NEXT CHILD IS HEARING, I'D LOVE HIM/HER THE SAME!!! get my drift?

by the way, cloggy.. there's a majority of hearing people in the whole world and very small of deaf people and when a deaf person is born, its special.. extra special. that goes for blind, handicapped, deaf, however you look it. I honestly don't look at myself as special but that's the way people look it. you are hearing, your wife is hearing and you end up having a deaf child and don't have any other deaf in the family and your child is the first. that's really special. I understand you were wishing she was hearing. what i'm saying is i grew up in the hearing world basically all my life and I can understand that side of the world.. now that i'm very much into the deaf world. I've come to understand both sides. You are just beginning to learn about the deaf culture and you come in here and say your child is hearing with CI. your child will always be deaf. I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm right or i'm wrong, you're right. its all facts! not selfish on my part.

Hi RebelGirl,
Thanks for your reply... time to communicate.

My daughter is hearing and i accepted that.. i never said i wish she was deaf, did i ??? no.. i said if i have another child, i would love to have a deaf child.. even if the NEXT CHILD IS HEARING, I'D LOVE HIM/HER THE SAME!!! get my drift?
I said the same thing about a hearing child but then people find it offensive.
.......you are hearing, your wife is hearing and you end up having a deaf child and don't have any other deaf in the family and your child is the first. that's really special.
She's the first. The other two are hearing.
I understand you were wishing she was hearing.
Again... I don't wish she was hearing, I wish for her that she was born hearing, and for other children I would wish FOR IT that it is hearing. There is a difference.
what i'm saying is i grew up in the hearing world basically all my life and I can understand that side of the world.. now that i'm very much into the deaf world. I've come to understand both sides. You are just beginning to learn about the deaf culture and you come in here and say your child is hearing with CI. your child will always be deaf.
That depends on the definition. According to my definition, she's hearing. I started a thread asking for a definition.... I'll check if you gave one.....No - please give your definition - and have a look at mine.

I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm right or i'm wrong, you're right. its all facts! not selfish on my part.
There's not too many facts in this thread.

Last edited:
Hey Cloggy , do you know how to stop or when to stop keep go on on on on same old story i tired to read read read the same things over over over !!! :roll: Also it got me :dizzy:

Cloggy said:
Hi RebelGirl,
Thanks for your reply... time to communicate.

I said the same thing about a hearing child but then people find it offensive. She's the first. The other two are hearing. Again... I don't wish she was hearing, I wish for her that she was born hearing, and for other children I would wish FOR IT that it is hearing. There is a difference. That depends on the definition. According to my definition, she's hearing. I started a thread asking for a definition.... I'll check if you gave one.....No - please give your definition - and have a look at mine.

There's not too many facts in this thread.
Have you asked the ci dr and audiologist if they consider your child hearing??? I've got ton of friends that have CIs and they still consider themselves "deaf"

CutePommie said:
Hey Cloggy , do you know how to stop or when to stop keep go on on on on same old story i tired to read read read the same things over over over !!! :roll: Also it got me :dizzy:
Ah, so when the questions become difficult to answer, we won't think, we just tell the person to stop asking..... Yeh, that's a way to avoid looking at yourself.

But the question was new, so I think you can appreciat NOT dwelling on the same....

Do you think that "it is OK for a deaf person to wish for a deaf child", but "not OK for a hearing person to wish for a hearing child"?

RebelGirl said:
Have you asked the ci dr and audiologist if they consider your child hearing??? I've got ton of friends that have CIs and they still consider themselves "deaf"
I have, and again, it depends on the definition.
Your friends, Did they grow up deaf and then got the CI OR did they have CI before they were 4 years old.

I know of people that lost their hearing, then got CI and can hear again. They consider themself hearing...
So we both know people with CI. Some of them consider themself deaf, some consider themself hearing..

??? Now, how is this possible ???

Cloggy said:
I have, and again, it depends on the definition.
Your friends, Did they grow up deaf and then got the CI OR did they have CI before they were 4 years old.

I know of people that lost their hearing, then got CI and can hear again. They consider themself hearing...
So we both know people with CI. Some of them consider themself deaf, some consider themself hearing..

??? Now, how is this possible ???

A few of my friends had CI when they were small, some when they were older.

You know.. maybe for those who have CI want to be considered however they want to be. But what are the facts?? Only the Dr.s and Audiologist will tell you the facts.. whether having a CI makes you become hearing again or if you have a CI, you're still considered DEAF.

You chose to pick that your child is hearing now because she has CI... Some just prefer to say they're Deaf with a CI but can hear sounds.

:dunno:

RebelGirl said:
A few of my friends had CI when they were small, some when they were older.

You know.. maybe for those who have CI want to be considered however they want to be. But what are the facts?? Only the Dr.s and Audiologist will tell you the facts.. whether having a CI makes you become hearing again or if you have a CI, you're still considered DEAF.

You chose to pick that your child is hearing now because she has CI... Some just prefer to say they're Deaf with a CI but can hear sounds.

:dunno:
Too many assumptions..
Only the Dr.s and Audiologist will tell you the facts.."
Most of them have no clue about deafness, or having a child with CI.

"You chose to pick that your child is hearing now because she has CI."
NO... READ MY DEFINITION. It's NOT because she has CI!!!!!!!!!
Before you judge me, read my definition and read what I explained about my daughter.

Last edited:
Cloggy said:
Ah, so when the questions become difficult to answer, we won't think, we just tell the person to stop asking..... Yeh, that's a way to avoid looking at yourself.

But the question was new, so I think you can appreciat NOT dwelling on the same....

Still need to find the right answer eh ? you can not do anything just let it go .. for me i just cant believe what you think like that to say wish not to wish or to be wish ... get a life !! i am glad and i am not you !! i just happy to accept what i have got 3 kids one of them is deaf .. never to treat them differently get it . i tired of your stupid need to know to find the answer . nothing we can do just what people does to feel but wrong for you to ask them if they think it is right or wrong to be having wishing or wish or wishes !! it getting on my nerve !! this is the world we live in just accept it what we have got .. JUST DAMN LET IT GO FOR ONCE AND ALL !!

CutePommie said:
Still need to find the right answer eh ? you can not do anything just let it go .. for me i just cant believe what you think like that to say wish not to wish or to be wish ... get a life !! i am glad and i am not you !! i just happy to accept what i have got 3 kids one of them is deaf .. never to treat them differently get it . i tired of your stupid need to know to find the answer . nothing we can do just what people does to feel but wrong for you to ask them if they think it is right or wrong to be having wishing or wish or wishes !! it getting on my nerve !! this is the world we live in just accept it what we have got .. JUST DAMN LET IT GO FOR ONCE AND ALL !!

I know the answer. And that's what it is, MY answer. (By the way - I think it is wrong) Yours might be different... And with all the writing you do.... you still haven't given your answer...... The question is confronting, isn't it?

CutePommie said:
then why read this thread? you don't have to participate in thread and just sit yourself out and avoid this thread entirely so you won't be fuming like you are now :D

Cheers :wave:

^Angel^ said:
It's seem some people are not looking at both sides here, I mean there's nothing wrong with asking such a question but you also have to look at where they're coming from on this too, I'm on no one side here but my own, but I do see where both sides are coming from and it's like if a person A came up to person B and asked a question out of blue such as " If you ever become pregnant, what would you want to have a hearing or a deaf baby " then person B would be like " huh? what kind of question is that? " I mean why would it matter if the baby is hearing or deaf? If a person rather to have a baby that could hear sounds, then there's nothing wrong with having either hearing or a deaf baby.... :)

I agreeeeeeeeeeee 101%!!!!!!!!

It's interesting to read the posts of both sides here.

I want to say the people who receive CI or HA are still deaf. Yes, they are totally deaf when their implants are turned off. It's CI technology who help deaf people to hear.

I also want to say that deaf child doesn't derserve to receive negative over deafness from his/her parents. It should make deaf child feel good and positive feeling when their parent see in HER/HIM not ears.

Healthy is matter to me than worry about ear... I don't mind to have deaf or hearing child because I accept what he/she is.

Liebling:-))) said:
I agreeeeeeeeeeee 101%!!!!!!!!
101%... I allready agreed 100%, and you top me 101%.... mmm

Still agree with YOU 100%

Back