When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

deafdyke said:
Oh and I agree with Malfoyish, Dhh kids almost seem to have an invsiable sign on them, that says "Easy pickings" to bullies...... I was tormented by hearing people as a child b/c of my voice. This isn't just the normal teasing that most everyone goes through......even today I still don't feel like I belong in the hearing world, and I still have issues with my voice and my self esteem.

Exactly. :hug: Thank you for bringing this up, deafdyke - I have to admit that some of my own self esteem issues stem from my hearing impairment itself. My voice was different and that was picked up on right off the bat. Therefore, anyone with a malicious streak would have a field day with someone like me.

Dhh kids almost seem to have an invsiable sign on them, that says "Easy pickings" to bullies...... I was tormented by hearing people as a child b/c of my voice. This isn't just the normal teasing that most everyone goes through......even today I still don't feel like I belong in the hearing world, and I still have issues with my voice and my self esteem.

Well ! You and I have no difference by this audist attitude s treatment toward deafies as well. They lied to us about our deaf voices and devices that doesnt work out to have the two way street from them.

Deehamilton

Cheri said:
:roll:

I don't understand why it is a big deal about deaf children. To be honest this thread reminds me so much of my mother who called the hospital the day my son was born asking if my son was deaf or hearing, if he was deaf she was not gotta come to the hospital. You know some hearing parents starting to rub me the wrong way now. :pissed:

If I was expecting a child, I would ONLY care about having a healthy baby, I don't care either way if my child would be deaf or hearing. Big deal likely some parents here. Good Grief so judgemental!

I totally agree with you 100 percent. They are turning out to be what they wanted their baby to be Deaf or Hearing, they are forgetting about the health of the baby. Parents are not becoming a scientic, they get to choose the sex of their baby now they are doing it by wanting the baby Deaf or Hearing.

Liebling:-))) said:
:D which part of Germany you will visit on Friday?

I live in southern of Bavaria... closed to switerzland, Rep. Chez, Austria, Italy... than north Germany.
Driving from north Denmark, via Hamburg, Osnabruck into Holland....

Changing deafness

Gemtun said:
Sweetmind, you throw the word "audist" around freely and often. You make it sound to be a horrible word.

Exactly, what does an audist mean?????!!!!!! Im asking you because you seem to have developed your own definition of audist so I am all eyes to see what you mean by that.

Sweetmind has a good view on what s/he claims is an audist --- no one can have a good view and keep on having it at all. She is right about gnulinuxman because he is my fiance and he looked at the deaf world through his teaching and all. He hates the hatred and the way we D/deafies are being "fixed" instead of remaining who we are. :pissed: This so wrong to "fix" deaf people just because of their ears dont work and that they should. Gemtun I agree with how you described the mom and child thing and also my family is negative all the time as well as some other people I know. gnulinuxman treats me well and positively equal with my deafness (stating he doesn't get negative or want my deafness "fixed") :giggle: He understands the hell we D/deafies suffer with CIs and HA (or anything that "fixes" deafness) also peoples negative views too. It hurts him to watch that, so he stands up for us to help us get people to understand. My college is mistreating and misunderstanding me at a big cost of my deafness. Gnulinuxman could tell his issue in it or how he sees it, but its like the school wants to "fix" me for being me and other things by giving me a probation. UGGHHHH!!!! I don't want to be "fixed" and gnulinuxman understands and he wants me to remain deaf and that I choose what I want done at my pick. I dont want to get "fixed" just because I am told to do so. DEAFNESS RULES BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:deaf: :angel:

Sweetmind said:
........ audist attitude people ..... audist attitude people ........
The word "audist" has lost all meaning when used by Sweetmind. But there's an interesting thread which gives excellent info.

deaflinuxgeek said:
Sweetmind has a good view on what s/he claims is an audist --- no one can have a good view and keep on having it at all. She is right about gnulinuxman because he is my fiance and he looked at the deaf world through his teaching and all. He hates the hatred and the way we D/deafies are being "fixed" instead of remaining who we are. :pissed: This so wrong to "fix" deaf people just because of their ears dont work and that they should. Gemtun I agree with how you described the mom and child thing and also my family is negative all the time as well as some other people I know. gnulinuxman treats me well and positively equal with my deafness (stating he doesn't get negative or want my deafness "fixed") :giggle: He understands the hell we D/deafies suffer with CIs and HA (or anything that "fixes" deafness) also peoples negative views too. It hurts him to watch that, so he stands up for us to help us get people to understand. My college is mistreating and misunderstanding me at a big cost of my deafness. Gnulinuxman could tell his issue in it or how he sees it, but its like the school wants to "fix" me for being me and other things by giving me a probation. UGGHHHH!!!! I don't want to be "fixed" and gnulinuxman understands and he wants me to remain deaf and that I choose what I want done at my pick. I dont want to get "fixed" just because I am told to do so. DEAFNESS RULES BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:deaf: :angel:

Okay...that's your choice and as a person, we will still respect you for that choice. However, what some people fail to realize is that there are others who do not feel the same way...so then the slew of name calling begins and insults are thrown into the mix. It helps nothing. It would solve a lot if some people would simply UNDERSTAND that there's no need to be so militant about any one given idea...i.e., getting "fixed" or not. First of all - a CI doesn't "fix" you, nor does a hearing aid. Nor does speaking when you can sign. You're still deaf when it comes off. Whether or not you CHOOSE to partake in wearing the CI or HA is entirely up to you. You'd benefit a lot by leaving outside influences at the door.

Now we're off topic...why not start this elsewhere and let's stick to the original question. Okay?

deafdyke said:
AMEN!!!! Cloggy, we don't see being deaf as something that is negative. You're a male.....you don't sit around wanting to get your Y chromosome deleted or your male genitalia removed b/c you want to be a female. You don't feel "female impaired" do you? We don't feel "hearing impaired" .....we simply are dhh, and we accept that as a state of being that is equal to being hearing.
......And there's another beautiful reaction of a representative of the deaf community all set up to educate the ignorent parent that had his daughter brought to the butchers-table to remove any sign of deafness.......... The compassion continues...

Sorry, couldn't help myself and the delete AND backspace buttens are not working....

Eh.... dyke.... are you female-impared?

|Deehamilton

PurrMeow said:
Cloggy?
Let me ask u a quick question, even if your child is deaf, or handicap or blind, are u scary of handling this child?

No, you love the child as the way it is!! No matter how bad the child handicap are, you are the parents of that child. That's child only need parent's love and care. You bought the child into the world, now you know when you bring the child into the world, you know you are not getting a prefect baby. You get what you get and accept it!!

Cloggy said:
......And there's another beautiful reaction of a representative of the deaf community all set up to educate the ignorent parent that had his daughter brought to the butchers-table to remove any sign of deafness.......... The compassion continues...

Sorry, couldn't help myself and the delete AND backspace buttens are not working....

Eh.... dyke.... are you female-impared?

*snickering* Quite a subtle come-back!

Deehamilton said:
I totally agree with you 100 percent. They are turning out to be what they wanted their baby to be Deaf or Hearing, they are forgetting about the health of the baby. Parents are not becoming a scientic, they get to choose the sex of their baby now they are doing it by wanting the baby Deaf or Hearing.
Repeating the question I had earlier:

Why is it not approriate to wish for your child that it is hearing, but it is appropriate to wish for your child that it is healthy?

THINK BEFORE YOU ANSWER!!

Calm down

Cloggy said:
The word "audist" has lost all meaning when used by Sweetmind. But there's an interesting thread which gives excellent info.

Sweetmind has every right to state the way s/he wants with the word "audist". I really agree we all have our own opinions and bashing another's opinion is like bashing your own words.

Think about it!!!!

Deaflinuxgeek

deaflinuxgeek said:
Sweetmind has every right to state the way s/he wants with the word "audist". I really agree we all have our own opinions and bashing another's opinion is like bashing your own words.

Think about it!!!!

Deaflinuxgeek

A lot of people already HAVE thought about it. Sweetmind's manner in which the word is used is intended to be in a negative sense - perhaps she should be more careful with whom she throws such an "offensive" term at.

We aren't the enemy just because we've made different choices that Sweetmind herself may not endorse.

deaflinuxgeek said:
Sweetmind has every right to state the way s/he wants with the word "audist".
She's very welcome to use it. I'm just saying that when she uses is, it's like static. When you use it I pay attention.

Cloggy,

Im not agruing w/you but felt break my heart what make you choosen best interest for your child's future.. That reason you afraid of your child is Deaf.. I can understand you but you can give your child LOT of LOVE.. That would be fine no problem.

I understand your point view concern!
Not my business...

My Adopt parent were not expecting me DEAF.. but accept who am I ..
Anyway...

GalaxyAngel said:
Cloggy,

Im not agruing w/you but felt break my heart what make you choosen best interest for your child's future.. That reason you afraid of your child is Deaf.. I can understand you but you can give your child LOT of LOVE.. That would be fine no problem.
I am warmed by the compassion you feel for my daughter, really. But do not assume I am afraid of my child being deaf. And do not assume that I do not give my daughter lot's of love. Where does that idea come from?

Cloggy said:
Repeating the question I had earlier:

Why is it not approriate to wish for your child that it is hearing, but it is appropriate to wish for your child that it is healthy?

THINK BEFORE YOU ANSWER!!

If we found out through the screening that something was terribly wrong with our fetus, we would be unable to do anything about it. We would be forced to carry to term or miscarriage a child that wouldn't live outside of our body, How would that make us feel? Nobody would want a baby that would possible not survived, now that would be heart wrenching. That's why most new parents or parents want to be holding a healthy baby in their arms, a baby that would have life not death. That is different between wanting a hearing child. ;)

deafdyke said:
Oh and I agree with Malfoyish, Dhh kids almost seem to have an invsiable sign on them, that says "Easy pickings" to bullies...... I was tormented by hearing people as a child b/c of my voice. This isn't just the normal teasing that most everyone goes through......even today I still don't feel like I belong in the hearing world, and I still have issues with my voice and my self esteem.
*waves hi* :D
see you in a couple of weeks, right?

Cheri said:
If we found out through the screening that something was terribly wrong with our fetus, we would be unable to do anything about it. I would be forced to carry to term or miscarriage a child that wouldn't live outside of our body, How would that make us feel? Nobody would want a baby that would possible not survived, now that would be heart wrenching. That's why most new parents or parents want to be holding a healthy baby in their arms, a baby that would have life not death. That is different between wanting a hearing child. ;)
I think you can get an abortion for babies that will not survive outside the mother. I'm not sure though.

Nobody HERE on AllDeaf would abort a deaf baby of course. But I wonder if people who know NOTHING about the Deaf community would consider it. :Ohno:

Etoile said:
I think you can get an abortion for babies that will not survive outside the mother. I'm not sure though.

Not always, Sometimes the baby die at birth, sometimes they don't recovered until near birth, too late to aborted.

Nobody HERE on AllDeaf would abort a deaf baby of course.:

Nobody would know if the baby is deaf inside the womb until after birth or later. ;)

Back