What's your first Language?

I think you are being too sensitive. I did not see anyone lashing out.

Wait for Jillio to come back and she will give you the reaction you want.:giggle:

Oh most definitely! LOL!

I want to learn ASL though. Me and my friend are hoping to make a 2 weeks visit or so next year or the year after :D

Mine was ASL then English.

I ask as an ADer not to attack Kokonut`s POV, only to question them tactfully.

Some of you may not know this, Kokonut is an advocate for bridging communication gaps.

He was there for me when I was struggling with my DeafBlindness at first when I was an active vlogger and couldn`t participate without asking fellow vloggers to subtitle their videos. This cause quite a ripple in the Deaf vlogging community and Kokonut came to my defense explaining why not subtitling vlogs was an act of exclusion to fellow Deaf peers who happened to be blind as well.

I will not post his video link without permission and would prefer he do it himself. Just wanted to share something that even we need to look outside of the box and get to know Kokonut personally to see why he thinks this way.

:ty:

Some of you may not know this, Kokonut is an advocate for bridging communication gaps.

He was there for me when I was struggling with my DeafBlindness at first when I was an active vlogger and couldn`t participate without asking fellow vloggers to subtitle their videos. This cause quite a ripple in the Deaf vlogging community and Kokonut came to my defense explaining why not subtitling vlogs was an act of exclusion to fellow Deaf peers who happened to be blind as well.

I will not post his video link without permission and would prefer he do it himself. Just wanted to share something that even we need to look outside of the box and get to know Kokonut personally to see why he thinks this way.

Mrs. Bucket, absolutely no one has attacked him.

The video is not up anymore though I would give permission to let you do that anyway but you pretty much summed up the video and what I vlogged about.

Though not a direct attack on me but it was more of a subtle form of an "attack" (for a lack of a better word) but really it's the pattern of how one responds to such a POV repeatedly that raises a red flag.

I have no first language. I am equally fluent in my home countrys major language and sign language. I grew up bilingual with more weight on a sign language than a spoken language, but don't feel that one is in the front of the other. Linquistics are a bit more careful with using the term "first" and "second" language nowdays from my undertanding, though a child often will benfit greatly from focusing at a "first" language.

It makes more sense to me to use weights. For example, do one feel strongly connected to ASL, and less to english or vice versa? Strong connections to both languages? I have seen people with weak core skills in both languages. What is really their level of the "first language"? Do they have a first language at all?

I got a stronger bilingual awarness after working with translating somewhat comlicated content between sign language and a spoken language for a while. It gave me new perspectives on sign language I never had before, and also on the linear spoken language in my country and it got much easier to jump between those two languages, like I felt home in both at a higher level than before. Also notice that many deaf people mix and use both english and sign language all the time, without it beeing total communication, and one still can spot clear grammatical rules. I am not sure what brain researchers say about this, but suspect that the brain does not split between a first and second language as strongly as most people belive.

Thank god I didn't grew up monolingual! ;)

I have no first language. I am equally fluent in my home countrys major language and sign language. I grew up bilingual with more weight on a sign language than a spoken language, but don't feel that one is in the front of the other. Linquistics are a bit more careful with using the term "first" and "second" language nowdays from my undertanding, though a child often will benfit greatly from focusing at a "first" language.

It makes more sense to me to use weights. For example, do one feel strongly connected to ASL, and less to english or vice versa? Strong connections to both languages? I have seen people with weak core skills in both languages. What is really their level of the "first language"? Do they have a first language at all?

I got a stronger bilingual awarness after working with translating somewhat comlicated content between sign language and a spoken language for a while. It gave me new perspectives on sign language I never had before, and also on the linear spoken language in my country and it got much easier to jump between those two languages, like I felt home in both at a higher level than before. Also notice that many deaf people mix and use both english and sign language all the time, without it beeing total communication, and one still can spot clear grammatical rules. I am not sure what brain researchers say about this, but suspect that the brain does not split between a first and second language as strongly as most people belive.

Thank god I didn't grew up monolingual! ;)

That's so true..the more fluent in multiple languages a child is, the more likely the more opportunities will knock on his/her door.

That's so true..the more fluent in multiple languages a child is, the more likely the more opportunities will knock on his/her door.

Yeah, unfortuntately, one often have to be a professonial to understand that, due to old prejudices that still are roaming the western world.

This quote I MUST agree with wholeheartedly!

My nephew Joe was already monolingual by the time he was 2 years old.

At Abuela & Abuelo's {BIL's parents} home, he spoke only in Spanish.

At Gramma & Papa's {Our parents} home, he signed ASL only.

At his home with Mama and Daddy, he did all three. English, Spanish and ASL.

He is now attending a JK program that immerses Joe in all 4 languages - English, Spanish, ASL and French.

My sisters and I firmly believes to expose and immerse ourselves in all kinds of languages because we were exposed to all kinds of communication methods such as Bi-Bi, Cued, SimCom and ASL.

At elementary school, we all were denied the chance to take French until middle school, we requested for the chance and we finally got this chance to attend classes. My youngest sister was finally able to have French immersion because she could hear, pronounce and carry on a full conversation in French.

There's never a "one and perfect" language when this world has such beautiful and vast languages.

ASL first, and then English writing. I, sometimes, personally prefer to write in English than to sign in ASL. I don't know why. :lol:

I prefer to write than talk and use bsL, Im more confident in writing

ASL first, and then English writing. I, sometimes, personally prefer to write in English than to sign in ASL. I don't know why. :lol:

You're not the only one. I want to vblog so bad, but I am still shy about appearing before an Internet audience, so I just continue to write proses.

:D:D

Like I am quite confident talkin to people online but if you met me face to face, I would not be very confident. *giggles* that's just me i guess

Heh heh! I'm not very social with any people so it's kinda of hard for me to be courage and go to talk with people. I may be nervous while I sign, ha ha. :P Sometimes, I don't feel I want to sign... but I must to do so. Sure, it is easy to talk through Internet. If I'm in real life, I would prefer to hang out with friends or people I know who. I'm somewhat clumsy signer cos I don't sign a lot, so... I prefer to write that is easy for me. :P

You're not the only one. I want to vblog so bad, but I am still shy about appearing before an Internet audience, so I just continue to write proses.

Yeah, I know what you do mean. I did make a vblog for the first time and it was okay... I think I was very clumsy signer! :shock: Oh, well.

Then that means you probably have the makings to be an author. Generally, authors have always known to be more comfortable expressing themselves through writing than speaking. I read that somewhere..cant remember.

Then that means you probably have the makings to be an author. Generally, authors have always known to be more comfortable expressing themselves through writing than speaking. I read that somewhere..cant remember.

Oh? I don't know that, really! It would be nice if you remember where it is, cos I would love to read about it! ;)

Oh? I don't know that, really! It would be nice if you remember where it is, cos I would love to read about it! ;)

I read it like 15 years ago. The reason it stuck with me is because at the time, I wasnt sure what I wanted to do as a career. I was considering the field of writing as a major when I read that statement. It was so long ago.

Back