What's your dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave:Kristina, for me - i liked it, I liked it a little better than the soy cheese I've tried, though I didn't really mind the soy cheese and used that to make some good mac and cheese couple of times. But I do like the almond more; there is also have some almond milk yogurt I recently had and that was good, too.
This is the almond cheese I just had: Cheddar Style Chunks

it does have milk protein in it though.

this is the soy cheese I use: The Best Vegan Cheese - Soy Cheese - Cheese Substitute

....burned steaks, charred grilled squash, lovely baked potatoes.
Hubby got too involved in his remote and tv and forgot his dinner on the grill. I am sad and a wee bit hungry. I think I will go nosh some Cheerios... sigh. I think I will cook for a while. Bet that was his evil plan. lol

tonight is homemade spicy roasted red pepper, garlic and black bean soup. I love my new food processor!

Dogmom - thanks!! I will have to skip the almond cheese due to the milk protein, but will try the Vegan Cheese again. I think I need to mentally tell myself not to compare to the regular cheeses I grew up with.

Also, do you know if it's safe to freeze the vegan cheese? I have found that when I open a package of cheese, it goes bad after 3-4 days. I don't eat cheese very often and the family refuses to try it, so it's separate dishes now. Luckily, I do a lot of casserole type things, so it's easy to make it, then take out my portion to another skillet or pot then add the cheeses to the respective pots.

I'm going to make it simple tonight. Gonna make some burgers and fries.

We are having Sweet Turkey Italian Sausage and pasta. Forgot to buy veggies, so it's a slim dinner tonight.

Kristina no problem :wave: I honestly don't know for sure about freezing the soy cheese or any of the cheese substitutes. I know with the almond MILK it reads on the carton - "do not freeze" so my guess it would be the same for almond cheese alternative and probably soy cheese too...
maybe I'll go Google it...

I haven't made any casseroles in quite a while since hubby is trying to avoid "white" products and hates anything that might be an alternative to that which I could potentially use in a casserole <whole wheat, brown rice, etc -pasta or sweet potatoes as opposed to white pasta or white potatoes>
but since this is the weekend and he relaxes it a bit on weekends, I'm making a turkey casserole for tonight. It has garlic mashed potatoes on bottom and top layer with chives from farmer's market, and local turkey in middle. I sauteed the turkey in olive oil and spices.

It was fine dining for our family tonight as we sat under the golden arches ;)

Dinner tonight will be another "Mom's Kitchen" specialty. Hamburger throw together. I will make it with rice and some peas will be added as well. Will also use Latino seasonings.

Kristina no problem :wave: I honestly don't know for sure about freezing the soy cheese or any of the cheese substitutes. I know with the almond MILK it reads on the carton - "do not freeze" so my guess it would be the same for almond cheese alternative and probably soy cheese too...
maybe I'll go Google it...

Found this:

How to Freeze Soy Cheese
By Yvette Sajem, eHow Contributor

You can find soy cheese, a cheese made from soy milk as opposed to dairy milk, in grocery stores and health food stores in a wide variety of flavors, including cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, American and Monterey Jack. Soy cheese is a viable and healthy alternative to dairy cheese, according to Kim Galeaz, R.D. and Nutrition Consultant to the Indiana Soybean Board. It has little to no fat, no cholesterol and an acceptable source of protein and healthy plant nutrients. Soy cheese, like other hard and semi-hard cheeses, can be frozen for use at a later date. Frozen properly, the texture may see some incidental alteration, but the flavor will remain unchanged.

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Things You'll Need
Freezer paper
Freezer bags
Wax paper

Blocks

1. Slice soy cheese into 1/4-lb. to 1/2-lb. blocks.

2. Wrap each block tightly with a double layer of freezer wrap.

3. Place the wrapped blocks into freezer bags. Seal correctly and securely, and place the bags in your freezer.

Deli Slices

1. Remove deli-sliced soy cheese from its original packaging.

2. Stack the slices, dividing each one with a piece of wax paper. Create individual stacks of 10 to 15 slices.

3. Wrap each stack securely with a double layer of freezer paper.

4. Place the wrapped stacks in freezer bags. Seal the bags well, and place them in the freezer.

Read more: How to Freeze Soy Cheese | eHow.com How to Freeze Soy Cheese | eHow.com

:wave: hey, cool -:ty:!
I'm glad you found that!

now I just have to get freezer paper....

Grilled cheese sandwich, corn, and ice cream.

Last night was classic French style beef bourguignon over herbed, buttered, egg noodles, classic tossed salad with mixed greens, tomato and cucumber, whole wheat rolls with real butter. The wine was a lovely merlot and of course, southern sweet tea. For dessert, a triple berry creme cake.

Tonight the guy was lucky to get the scant leftovers for lunch and a nice turkey sandwich on the leftover rolls. haha!

Tonight ... Fish sticks and Sweet potato french fried :)

salad with olive oil/balsamic dressing, chocolate almond milk and whole grain muffin with almond butter-

Vegetable beef soup with white and wild rice, and a piece of gluten free chocolate cake that I made. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back