What's this sign?

Ribs

Reaction score
What does this mean?
::circles face with pointer, then makes fist and opens fist::

really? i remember learning that sign in an adult sign language class and i could've sworn we were either talking about monsters or races (like as in black people and white people), unless i'm getting the sign mixed up.

really? i remember learning that sign in an adult sign language class and i could've sworn we were either talking about monsters or races (like as in black people and white people), unless i'm getting the sign mixed up.

:laugh2:

"Monster" both clawed hands come out like a movie monster accompanied by appropriate face.

"African" "A" hand with thumb pointing toward face makes a counter clockwise circle around the face. (This is considered racist .)

What does this mean?
::circles face with pointer, then makes fist and opens fist::

ah.... Bott's right that it means spotlight shining on you. but based on your post after your 1st post, that same sign also means a WHITE person (but depending on how you move your fist - away or toward to your face).

My assumption:
1. Circling face with a pointer - you're describing the context (the color of skin)
2. making a fist and then opens fist away from face - that means white skin

My ASL teacher taught me that few weeks ago. The "white" color sign is different from "white" skin sign.

"Monster" both clawed hands come out like a movie monster accompanied by appropriate face.

weird_smilie.gif

"White" (as in race) Right hand plucks front of shirt as for the color white, and then the five fingers throw the color up towards the face.

{more than one way to describe the races :P }

ah.... Bott's right that it means spotlight shining on you. but based on your post after your 1st post, that same sign also means a WHITE person (but depending on how you move your fist - away or toward to your face).

My assumption:
1. Circling face with a pointer - you're describing the context (the color of skin)
2. making a fist and then opens fist away from face - that means white skin

My ASL teacher taught me that few weeks ago. The "white" color sign is different from "white" skin sign.

k, I think this was the sign i was looking for. We learned races and monster discription the same night

"African" "A" hand with thumb pointing toward face makes a counter clockwise circle around the face. (This is considered racist .)

Agreed. The new, more PC sign for Africa is "C" handshape in front of the body, moving right and downward and ending in an "O", as if outlining the shape of the continent.

Agreed. The new, more PC sign for Africa is "C" handshape in front of the body, moving right and downward and ending in an "O", as if outlining the shape of the continent.

Yes, but I feel compelled to point out that my fun was spoiled. :(

I was planning on teasing the student for a prolonged period until people started jumping in to help. :lol:

Yes, but I feel compelled to point out that my fun was spoiled. :(

I was planning on teasing the student for a prolonged period until people started jumping in to help. :lol:

My humblest apologies. I know how much you love to play with your food before you devour it... :naughty:

My humblest apologies. I know how much you love to play with your food before you devour it... :naughty:

:laugh2: Too true, but I am only telling you guys so you give me a little chance with the next unsuspecting student. ;)

Ha ha, now i'll know to watch out for you :P.

So would the sign for native american ::traces feather in hair with thumb and pointer:: racist? cuz I'm native american and i don't see it as such.

Ha ha, now i'll know to watch out for you :P.

So would the sign for native american ::traces feather in hair with thumb and pointer:: racist? cuz I'm native american and i don't see it as such.

I know two more signs and one refers to feathered headdress, and the other refers to native dancing, so I am thinking these are still acceptable.

(Plus everyone knows to watch out for me!! Just don't tell any new students. ;) )

I know two more signs and one refers to feathered headdress, and the other refers to native dancing, so I am thinking these are still acceptable.

(Plus everyone knows to watch out for me!! Just don't tell any new students. ;) )

I'm not to sure about the headdress one, it almost sounds like your calling us "cheif," which is offensive unless the person actually is a cheif.

::hangs up poster to warn all newcommers to watch out for bott :P ::

Back