What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I know what you mean with this. I get it everyday from one family member and most people from MIL's church and neighbors.
Same. Sometimes I just want to "deaf-speak" so they don't get the wrong idea.

Same. Sometimes I just want to "deaf-speak" so they don't get the wrong idea.

Yeah. Sometimes I think when we surpassed everyone's expectations, that has come back to bite us in the butt sometimes.

Adding on from what Shel said......One thing that gets me riled with the hearing is "Why waste your time on sign language when you can speak clearly enough for us to understand you." UGGGH!

true! I agree you! that is exactly! if supposed waste of time because oral but if supposed on sign language help understand!

It seems I can't the another thread is similar to this thread. It is about tick you off about deafies. So I post it here instead, since it is sort of related. Anyway, I sometimes tried of anti-deaf people make ridiculous claims. I got many comments or stories from Deaf or deaf people about 'hearing drama free' and so on. Be noted, I edited their grammar to censor their IDs.

Claim #1: Hearing people is better than Deaf people because Hearing people never make any gossip at all.

Claim #2: The hearing world just knows how to keep their dramas to themselves. Basically, the Deaf world sucks.

Claim #3: If someone starts a gossip or something in the hearing world, those hearing people wouldn't care because they got better things to worry about.

Claim #4: They just don't care about those gossips because they wouldn't know what or who you are gossiping about. There are plenty of hearing people is like that.

Claim #5: Hearing people is rarely involve with or never involve with political dramas, abortion dramas, religions dramas, and etc. because they know better.

Claim #6: Deaf people is so stupid. They should go to the hearing world to learn about their hearing "culture". They will shut up a big time! Hearing world rocks!

Claim #7: Hearing people is for private matters, the Deaf community is not.

Claim #8: Hearing is more healthy than ill-breeding deafness because less drama and more intelligence.

I can go on and go on... But it is not first time. I meant-- seriously, wow...

Sighs. Any thoughts on those claims, above?

It seems I can't the another thread is similar to this thread. It is about tick you off about deafies. So I post it here instead, since it is sort of related. Anyway, I sometimes tried of anti-deaf people make ridiculous claims. I got many comments or stories from Deaf or deaf people about 'hearing drama free' and so on. Be noted, I edited their grammar to censor their IDs.

I can go on and go on... But it is not first time. I meant-- seriously, wow...

Sighs. Any thoughts on those claims, above?

I think it really just has to do with the amount of deaf people. It's a small world and everybody knows someone who knows someone else. So gossip and drama is more immediate.

The hearing world is big and people don't cross path's as much.

I understand what you do mean. Hearing world may be big... but does that mean there will be no dramas and gossips? I disagree. But that just bothers me when they said that.

It's a small world and everybody knows someone who knows someone else. So gossip and drama is more immediate.

Hmm... not really. Not everyone know at moment.

Do Deaf Americans mostly know what happen in South Africa, Austrain, and etc?
Do Oregonians mostly know what happen in North Carolina?
Go on? To me, not really.

To me, in the hearing world, it seems it may have do with locals in some areas in any country.

Hmm... not really. Not everyone know at moment.

Do Deaf Americans mostly know what happen in South Africa, Austrain, and etc?
Do Oregonians mostly know what happen in North Carolina?
Go on? To me, not really.

To me, in the hearing world, it seems it may have do with locals in some areas in any country.

I was thinking on a smaller scale like in one city. My city has half a million people.

If you break it down by the number of hearing vs deaf, the hearings are vastly outnumbering the deaf.

So it is easier not to be noticed or cause drama in the hearing world.

hearing gets jobs before us and they are last to be laid off...
that piss me off

The hearing world has plenty of drama. A certain proportion of people love the drama and they can't live without it. I haven't observed any more drama in the Deaf community than I experienced in the hearing world.

Sometimes I think that the Deaf community has less drama because people are more blunt and upfront. People tease each other more in the Deaf community. I think that it's because it's a small group in which people become like family. I always try to avoid drama where ever I am.

Hearing parents that come in here discounting the Deaf perspective and insisting that their child is different from any deaf that has gone before, and then wondering why they aren't accepted with open arms by the Deaf community. It is really getting old.

I had a classmate tell me that it might be a good idea to take off my hearing aids before our group met with a networking contact, because they might give him a bad impression.

:shock:

What did you say? Or did your head simply explode? Mine probably would.

I wanted to see Deathly Hallows 2 this past weekend. I live in one of the largest cities in the U.S. so I expect to find one open captioned theater. Yep, as log as you're willing to go to the movies on Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, you'll have OC. I wanted to go with my family during the weekend so that doesn't work for me.

So, I find a theater that has RW captioning. Drove clear across town to get there. I live in a centrally located place but I had to drive out to one of the 'burbs. I arrive and tell the person selling tickets that I need the captioning. She said that they don't have it. I tell her that I need to talk to the manager. The manager rolled her eyes and said that captioning was available. Yea. I get to see a movie. This was the second time for me but I couldn't understand the dialog because I can't read English actors' lips. Even during closeups. That amuses me.

The "rear window" that they gave me was a piece of plastic on a long flexible piece of metal. At the bottom of the metal was a very abnormal looking concrete cylinder. Obviously home made in a paper cup. Ya'll went to all this trouble for just li'l ol' me? You shouldn't have. Really.

I get into the theater and we pick seats in the middle of the theater. My hubby said that it goes in the cupholder in the arm of the seat. I'm thinking to myself, that seems weird. I looked for whatever was going to project the words onto the homemade contraption and I saw a board with red letters on it. The kind that you see when you drive down the street. The banks have them to show the time usually.

I can't figure out how to get the reflection on the plastic from where I'm sitting, so we move to the side in front of the board. In my new seat, I put the thing in the cup holder and try to see the captions. I can see the captions but the plastic won't remain stationary. I try to put the plastic in the middle of the screen where I can watch the whole screen and read at the same time. The captions slanted downward where I couldn't read them. So, I put the captions on the side of the screen closest to the board and settle on that.

But the stupid rigged up deal won't stay in place. I keep trying to let go of the thing but it swings or falls down. Obviously some design defects. I gave up and held onto the gizmo while eating popcorn with my left hand (though I'm right handed). My arm got tired about half way into the movie. So, I used both hands to hold the thing. I suppose that I'm supposed to be grateful that I got anything at all. In one of the largest cities in the free world!

I had a classmate tell me that it might be a good idea to take off my hearing aids before our group met with a networking contact, because they might give him a bad impression.

:shock:

OMG. Did you tell that classmate that they needed to tape their mouth shut before the meeting, because making stupid comments like that were liable to give him a bad impression?:giggle:

What ticks me off most about hearies? Today it would be narrow mindedness and offensive rambling. And the ones that follow me around the board trying to find another reason to make some sarcastic comment. And the one guilty of that at this very moment knows who I am talking to. Busted! LOL

I think it really just has to do with the amount of deaf people. It's a small world and everybody knows someone who knows someone else. So gossip and drama is more immediate.

The hearing world is big and people don't cross path's as much.

It's very much like living in a small town!

I dont like when strangers talk to me like Im a hearing person. It is very stressful to my brain. Maybe they enjoy seeing me being frustrated. IDK.

I dont like when strangers talk to me like Im a hearing person. It is very stressful to my brain. Maybe they enjoy seeing me being frustrated. IDK.

what did you do when a hearing person talk to you? you just nodded and let him talk?

Back