What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

woa woa woa, this completely blind sided me and it is strangely similar to another issue. So if i am assuming the person you are speaking of in this example walking up is hearing and does not know Sign what so ever? So it is rude to not sign while speaking with them briefly? If i am signing with a friend who is HOH or deaf, am i suppose to speak out-loud as well if i have a hearing friend present? Please clear this up for me?
ASL and spoken english is quite different, they are different languages, that would be the same as trying to write in french and at the same time speak in chinese.

The way I see it in this account, is that the hearing person - signing to their Deaf friend, suddenly switches to voice/no sign when a hearing person arrives is rudely cutting off the conversation with their Deaf friend. The hearing person should be considerate enough to either excuse themselves to the Deaf friend before commencing a conversation with their hearing friend in voice, or voice to the hearing friend and interpret or include sign in the conversation to include the Deaf friend as well. By not accomodating the Deaf person in this way is very rude.

The way I see it in this account, is that the hearing person - signing to their Deaf friend, suddenly switches to voice/no sign when a hearing person arrives is rudely cutting off the conversation with their Deaf friend. The hearing person should be considerate enough to either excuse themselves to the Deaf friend before commencing a conversation with their hearing friend in voice, or voice to the hearing friend and interpret or include sign in the conversation to include the Deaf friend as well. By not accomodating the Deaf person in this way is very rude.

yeah, thats extremely rude, i would be just as pissed. thank you for clearing that up :)

What ticks me off about hearing people is that my hubby is one of them. He is a pain in the ass..

:lol:

But, we love them as well. Right? My hubby is a real horse's azz, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

He is a hearie and since his teeth were pulled, I have been hard at work learning to read his lips with no teeth. His dentures were made wrong and they won't redo them and I cannot read his lips then since they don't resemble a person's lips then. His upper plate has the teeth sticking so far out, that his upper lip looks like he was socked in the mouth and the swelling stuck. :giggle:

1. covering mouth when they speak (or talking with mouth full of food)
2. assuming i understand everything they say!
3. turn up your hearing aid means, so you can hear me.
4. not facing me in coversation.

i could go on and on.
:shock:

3. turn up your hearing aid means, so you can hear me.

Too true! Wearing a hearing aid means you can now magically hear - how many times we hear "But isn't that what a hearing aid is for?" and my mum hears "Why don't you wear your hearing aids?" - because she still can't hear! You're still going to have to make an effort in communication with us with the world's best hearing aid. Deal with it.

Hearing family member: "You're doing fine right now."

Translation: You're a crazy, attention-seeking liar.

Are you talking about the ex-husband or the current husband? :naughty:

My ex hubby does hearing people injustice! I HATE him but my current hubby is a sweet pain in the neck so he ticks me off. :D

Another thing that ticked me off today: People who think that just because you're deaf, you must be mentally retarded or stupid. I was just told that people very frequently ask my hearing sister questions about my level of intelligence when they find out about me. And I mean very frequently. :|

Was at a doctor's office with MIL today and we informed the nurse that I was deaf. I reiterated "total deaf". She proceeds to shout very loudly and MIL got very upset and shouted back. The doctor came running and upon recognizing me (he's my doctor) asked what was wrong. The nurse said, "she's deaf, I hollered so she could hear." Doc's response? "She specifically stated she is total deaf, she did not say hard of hearing, so please pay attention to what is being said. She can read your lips if you face her." "Well, how do you know, she's never been here?" "Well, she's my patient at the other office." Doc got a different nurse to take MIL's vitals.

Was at a doctor's office with MIL today and we informed the nurse that I was deaf. I reiterated "total deaf". She proceeds to shout very loudly and MIL got very upset and shouted back. The doctor came running and upon recognizing me (he's my doctor) asked what was wrong. The nurse said, "she's deaf, I hollered so she could hear." Doc's response? "She specifically stated she is total deaf, she did not say hard of hearing, so please pay attention to what is being said. She can read your lips if you face her." "Well, how do you know, she's never been here?" "Well, she's my patient at the other office." Doc got a different nurse to take MIL's vitals.

:shock: That's horrible and utterly rude! Are you ok? :hug:

How's your MIL?

:shock: That's horrible and utterly rude! Are you ok? :hug:

How's your MIL?

I am fine, just ticked, but happy with my doctor for standing up for me.

MIL is recovering from another fall last night. She really is not doing very well with her balance. Doc took her off the pain meds and cut her back on the muscle relaxers.

Back