What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

(said by my evil first boyfriend during an argument after he mutters something under his breath): 'You heard me.'

Or- someone says something, I catch bits of it say and say 'What was that?' then I guess from the context and respond, then they say 'See, you did hear me!'- I don't think this is purposely to upset but I have to say, no I didn't, I guessed.

When ever I have people say that to me, I tell them that hearing and understanding is two different things. I may have heard something said, I just didn't hear WHAT was said. Two totally different things that they(hearing) seems to have difficulty grasping.

just mumble at them and then say SEE, you CAN hear me.

Making movie with no CC ! I when to watch one and it had no CC ! This really piss me off!

Denture wearers who don't enunciate are challenging, too.

The other day my hubby was literally talking into the kitchen cabinet. I burst out laughing.

I hate when people do that! I can't understand mwarm muh mwarmuh mwarm!

(said by my evil first boyfriend during an argument after he mutters something under his breath): 'You heard me.'

Or- someone says something, I catch bits of it say and say 'What was that?' then I guess from the context and respond, then they say 'See, you did hear me!'- I don't think this is purposely to upset but I have to say, no I didn't, I guessed.

Sucks when that happens cause then they always think you're "milking it."

There's a guy and I just can't hear his voice. The frequency or tone or whatever is incomprehensible to me. He likes to mouth like he's talking just to irritate me. lol

shoot all hearing people

I'm hearing and I was pretty disappointed to read comments like this.

Also, the term "Hearie" always seemed condescending to me, like how some homosexuals refer to straight people as "breeders".

Not trying to start a fire.

Also, the term "Hearie" always seemed condescending to me, like how some homosexuals refer to straight people as "breeders".

Lucky you are not trying to start a flame war.

Did you realize it is called Alldeaf?

I think it kind of calls for hearies to check their sensibilities at the door.

What did you expect to find in a thread with this title?

Amen Botti!!

If it disappoints you, my suggestion would be to make sure that you don't do any of the annoying things listed. Or at least apologize if you do.

"Hearie" is not condescending at all. Nor is "deafie". Simply an acceptable social reference within the deaf community. I, personally, refer to myself as a "hearie" all time. It is only a problem when you are referred to as a "nasty hearie.":laugh2:

So you condone your members saying we should shoot all the hearing people?

No need to gang up on me and high five each other. I wasn't trying to be rude.

We do not condone people wanting to "shoot the hearies" anymore than we want them to "shoot the deafies", we just want the hearies to understand what we, the deafies, have to go through.

Of course I do! It was a joke. And the guy who made it is a hearie. :lol:

:h5: Kristina and Jillio!!

yeah, bbnt comment was really bad. He should never said it or even think of it.

Hearies/hearing person usually something that separate deaf from hearing people.

But some hearing people held so much audism attitude that some of them called me deafie (like Hey deafie!) just to see me get hurt and poke fun at me. So I just call those people "hearie" in return :)

That is sound great? Really you think because Do you think so joke... You cannot hear . But see? really

That is sound great? Really you think because Do you think so joke... You cannot hear . But see? really

I know I can't hear. But yes I am sure bbnt was making a joke, because bbnt can hear.

Perhaps you weren't trying to be rude, but the best of intentions don't always get good results. :cool2:

It's a cultural thing. Hang around and become more familiar with the culture before you start taking offense. And try to look at things from a deaf perspective. You feeling you are being "ganged up on" because you choose to visit a deaf forum is nothing compared to what the deaf endure day after day in a hearing society.

Back