What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

It really annoys me when I go out to a restaurant with my friends (hearing friends who know ASL), chat with them, and always end up getting stared at by strangers. And it's always blatant too. It makes me feel self conscious. >.< I usually end up staring back at them or smirking and waving at them in a very sarcastic manner.

so i dont know if anyone has heard of this happening, but its ridiculous and i thought this was an appropriate place to tell:

so i recently started dating a Deaf guy, and ive been introducing him to a lot of my hearing friends. before they meet ill usually tell them that hes Deaf, to which so far 3 people have responded "oh thats kinda cool, does he read braille?"

WTF. idiots.

so i dont know if anyone has heard of this happening, but its ridiculous and i thought this was an appropriate place to tell:

so i recently started dating a Deaf guy, and ive been introducing him to a lot of my hearing friends. before they meet ill usually tell them that hes Deaf, to which so far 3 people have responded "oh thats kinda cool, does he read braille?"

WTF. idiots.

that's my favorite...I love it when people ask me if I can read in Braille. After dealing with that for so many years, I have nothing left but laugh at their faces. It is not worth getting angry over. It makes me wonder if blind people were ever asked the question "Oh, do you know sign language?"

WTF. idiots.

LOL yeah I remember I was in high school. We deafies were asked to come to give some speeches about ASL and etc at the other high school. One student asked me do I read braille? I said, " well, it depends on if i can see or not do i/" the kid got red face. lol

I was asked today if my leg problems were related to my hearing loss. I was in a Burger King with my rollater. Someone sitting next to use noticed that I was paying attention to my lip reading and asked it I was hoh. I said no, I am Deaf. He then asked my if the problems requiring my rollator were also why I was Deaf.

I was asked today if my leg problems were related to my hearing loss. I was in a Burger King with my rollater. Someone sitting next to use noticed that I was paying attention to my lip reading and asked it I was hoh. I said no, I am Deaf. He then asked my if the problems requiring my rollator were also why I was Deaf.

------------
The earbones' connected to the legbone?

Braille menus to Deaf
Picture menus to Blind

what's next???

"Speak to order" menus for non-English speaking?
German menus for French?
Spanish menus for Greek?

------------
The earbones' connected to the legbone?

Braille menus to Deaf
Picture menus to Blind

what's next???

"Speak to order" menus for non-English speaking?
German menus for French?
Spanish menus for Greek?

Well - ya know - I wondered myself. :laugh2:

To be fair, there are several syndromes where that is a possibility. He may have had a family member who had one of those.

It ticked me offffffff big time this morning. The issues had to do between my VP and my folks. Some hearie relatives fucked my VP up by touching it then cutting it off while a tech guy by thru relay was signing to me and helping to explain the solution regarding techincal issue on VP. Some hearie folks seems tend to interrupt or cut off a deafie relative's VideoPhone rather than interrupt/cut off a hearie relative's landline phone. UGH!!! One day, I would cut off or pull off the phone line while she or he is speaking over the other end of the line...to see how she/he feels...

Today, I couldnt believe how rude a hearing eldery woman was to me. She worked in the medical records dept at my son's dr's office. I had to get a Dr's note to excuse myself and my son today and tmw since he is sick with the flu. I went up to the window and told her what I needed. She got all flustered and kept putting her hand up to me and talking to me very very slow. I gave her my name and she couldnt find the info so I proceed to say that maybe it was in my son's name but while I was trying to talk to her, she kept cutting me off and putting her hand up to me. So, I said, "Are you this rude because I am deaf or just rude in general?" She wouldnt even listen to me and kept looking through different files. So, I went to the management and they were like "O-H O-K-A-Y" I guess I will have to go higher up because I wont tolerate this shit from any hearing person.

Kristina, it sounds like the person who asked you the question is familiar with neuropathy and wondered whether you had it. That's a round about way to ask whether you have neuropathy. It's a really person question that I wouldn't ask a stranger.

When I tell some people that I have a connective tissue disorder, they don't get that it's a whole collection of issues. Some people ask, "What does skin and bone have to do with your ears?" Well, they all contain connective tissue. D'uh! I usually just say that they are all related and they look at me funny. lol I don't mind telling people that I fairly well. I just get tired of explaining it.

Kristina, it sounds like the person who asked you the question is familiar with neuropathy and wondered whether you had it. That's a round about way to ask whether you have neuropathy. It's a really person question that I wouldn't ask a stranger.

When I tell some people that I have a connective tissue disorder, they don't get that it's a whole collection of issues. Some people ask, "What does skin and bone have to do with your ears?" Well, they all contain connective tissue. D'uh! I usually just say that they are all related and they look at me funny. lol I don't mind telling people that I fairly well. I just get tired of explaining it.

Yes but its not for a stranger to ask so bluntly- Its diffrent if its,

"Excuse me I noticed that you are both (d/hh) and (any other observation), I have a (relation) that has (name of issue) are you familiar with it? The reason I ask is because I'm having a hard time convincing the insurance company to address her (issue) "

Yes but its not for a stranger to ask so bluntly- Its diffrent if its,

"Excuse me I noticed that you are both (d/hh) and (any other observation), I have a (relation) that has (name of issue) are you familiar with it? The reason I ask is because I'm having a hard time convincing the insurance company to address her (issue) "

For me to understand a speech that long, you will have to write it down. That is harder and weirder than just to ask, "hearing, legs, same problem?"

When I explained the problems I had, this person did apologize and mentioned that a family member was having problems with her hearing, but was also in a wheelchair and was wondering if they could ever be related. I told them yes, there could be a possibility, but to verify with their doctors. I also gave them the information for our local Deaf Service Center and the local Deaf Club.

Kristina, it was kind of you to share information with this person. You helped his relative in spite of the awkward social interaction. You rock! :cool2:

Thank you all so much for sharing all of this.
I DO NOT wanna be one of those "rude hearing people".

Back