What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

When businesses hang up on you when you are using vp. When calling back they say they do not accept these types of calls, and then when in person speaking to the manager they say I must have misunderstood. How do you misunderstand being hung up on 4 times. K theres my rant...

Thats why I love it when they greet theirselves by name. I can go in with a rocket launcher for an ammo.

I usually get ot the point. "hi veronica, I use relay calls to communicate because there are no other ways for me to make phone calls" they immediately go into guilt while i smile. Then I explain the whole thing to them. Usually cuts out problems.

But..... I dont like using phone, I like going in and using sign language :D

Thats why I love it when they greet theirselves by name. I can go in with a rocket launcher for an ammo.

I usually get ot the point. "hi veronica, I use relay calls to communicate because there are no other ways for me to make phone calls" they immediately go into guilt while i smile. Then I explain the whole thing to them. Usually cuts out problems.

But..... I dont like using phone, I like going in and using sign language :D

I was not given the chance to explain the terp tried to and she kept hanging up on me! Even when I called and asked to talk to a manager ended up just having to go down... And the manager did not see the problem said I must have misunderstood, how rude.

I was not given the chance to explain the terp tried to and she kept hanging up on me! Even when I called and asked to talk to a manager ended up just having to go down... And the manager did not see the problem said I must have misunderstood, how rude.

Agreed. That is rude. If you want to pursue it, the terp at relay will have documentation of the calls. That will show that you did not misunderstand.

I got annoying thing from my parents for year now. They keep misunderstanding me and my sister and other people and instead of admitting it their ears are problem, they keep saying it other people fault not speaking clearly.

Something you can do when this happens is: If you get hung up on, have the operator re-dial without introducing the Relay concept. As soon as the phone is picked up, just go right in with the reason for your call. I've not had to do this yet but I know and have read/heard about a lot of people who have done this. Relay operators are happy to go along with this. Up to you to explain to the party you have called AFTER you are done with the call.....this way, someone has been educated......one call at a time......

Something you can do when this happens is: If you get hung up on, have the operator re-dial without introducing the Relay concept. As soon as the phone is picked up, just go right in with the reason for your call. I've not had to do this yet but I know and have read/heard about a lot of people who have done this. Relay operators are happy to go along with this. Up to you to explain to the party you have called AFTER you are done with the call.....this way, someone has been educated......one call at a time......

:hmm: I like that solution.

I will try that next time for sure! I don't like getting hung up on its rude! And also very frustrating because I just had a simple question really not worth driving all the way down there. Thank you for the advice!! :ty:

Agreed. That is rude. If you want to pursue it, the terp at relay will have documentation of the calls. That will show that you did not misunderstand.

Really I didn't know that I thought that was only with SipRelay :hmm: Do they record the conversations?

Really I didn't know that I thought that was only with SipRelay :hmm: Do they record the conversations?

I was under the impression that all Relay conversations were recorded. I could be wrong. Anybody know for sure?

No, they don't record the conversations. But they do record the time the phone call came in, and the time spent on the phone call. It would be a simple matter to find the relay person on duty at that time, and get a statement from them regarding the business's behavior.

I was under the impression that all Relay conversations were recorded. I could be wrong. Anybody know for sure?

Some companies record randomly just to make sure that the relay operator is doing their job appropriately.

I'll check out if relay companies record.... I dont think they do, due to privacy laws. It's so bad even that my cell phone provider wouldnt even give me text number numbers - they can only give me the amount of texts but not numbers becuz they dont have it recorded.

It would not be legal to record the conversations without a court order or permission from at least one of the parties.

Yes, "getting to the point" is something I've also learned to muster over the years using the text relay. Sometime I just kind of give standardized answers I tend to use often in relay conversations. Or sometime I'd even do a little copying-n-pasting or would even start typing before the operator finishes relaying the message from the other end. Or sometime I'd even be the one that would be signing off first after feeling I got what I wanted or needed, replying "No, that would be all. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!" when being asked "Do you need help with anything else?" from the other end or something to that sort.

For us hearies- at least for me- this thread is vital. We can't read your minds so posting such complaints helps us to adjust our behavior when before a deaf individual(s).

I so agree! Speak out and be heard!!

what I dont like is the fact tha society keeps putting a glass barrier between us and the sky simply because we cant hear.

I cant tell you how many times Ive been told you can do anything you want - just dont bother trying for this or this or that because you can't hear.

Like when I was in junior high, I wanted to go out for for the basketball team. My parents refused to let me try becuase I couldnt hear. They didnt want me in band because I couldnt hear, they simply didnt want me to doing anything because I couldnt hear. eventually I just quit trying.

It also hurt that I was constantly being compared to my brother who is hearing. Always getting the "Why cant you be more like your brother?".

Its like I couldnt be who I wanted to be and there are times I still cant be who I want to. Im often misunderstood, or not taken as seriously.

This glass barrier seems easy enough to break through, but its like society just wants us to look at the sky and only dream of reaching it, only to realize we cant and never will.

And what's sad is, there are times its taken someone other than family to help me realize that hey I am worth something - you do have the potential. Its these people you need to cling to because these are the people that are going to be there to support you rather than drag you down.

That's awful! I hope you know that you can do anything and everything and anyone who says you can't is a fool (sorry if that's disrespectful towards your family). You may not be able to hear, but you can feel, smell, see, and taste. And even if you aren't able to have these other senses you are still human and capable of anything and everything. Seriously, It bothers me when others say you cant do something because they dont believe in you, not because you actually can't do something. That is soooo disturbing. You go after your dreams and when you see your limits you push pass them. Limits are acquired not innate; don't place limits on yourself nor let anyone else do that to you.

When they come in here and tell us how much we can acheive. It's patronizing. Live it yourself and then tell what you acheived.

Back